The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

i've kinda gotten over the mcginn/cash incidents now. we've been calling for ages for VAR not to get involved unless it's a howler of a decision...which i don't think either ones are so now that the dust has settled, i actually am in favour of this 'referees call' thing. i retract what i sent about refs being sent to the monitor to review different angles as that result in too many stoppages...it's either an error or it's not.

the error was the ref giving the pen in the first place. there's apparently a higher bar now for contact in the box which he didn't take into account. VAR was correct not to overturn it though IMO because whilst wrong, it's not a howler i don't think

12 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i've kinda gotten over the mcginn/cash incidents now. we've been calling for ages for VAR not to get involved unless it's a howler of a decision...which i don't think either ones are so now that the dust has settled, i actually am in favour of this 'referees call' thing. i retract what i sent about refs being sent to the monitor to review different angles as that result in too many stoppages...it's either an error or it's not.

the error was the ref giving the pen in the first place. there's apparently a higher bar now for contact in the box which he didn't take into account. VAR was correct not to overturn it though IMO because whilst wrong, it's not a howler i don't think

Good points, think I agree with you. Much easier to do so given that we still won though.

1 hour ago, claretman said:

If you want to see an absolutely scandalous decision take a look at the penalty for handball given against Galatasary in the last seconds of last nights Champions League play off match.  Given by VAR and rubber stamped by the ref.

This was utterly bizarre.  Deflected off his leg, onto his arm that was in a normal position, with the ball sailing over the bar anyway after the deflection.

Penalty gets given and player gets a second yellow card for an accidental handball (which shouldn't even have been given as one) resulting in him being sent off. Just mental.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Good points, think I agree with you. Much easier to do so given that we still won though.

very true!

31 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I'm mostly in agreement with you. I'm fine with the Cash pen being a pen providing there's an element of consistency throughout the season. If we get awarded a similar penalty within the season but VAR decides to get involved and overturns the decision then i'll be fuming with that. But time will tell I guess. 

But big picture, I'm generally happy for VAR to not get involved at all unless it is an absolute howler. The issue is and always will be, where the bar is set for them to get involved. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

I do agree with this, but you just know that there'll be stronger penalties given this season which VAR will then overturn.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I actually don't think these incidents should be fouls, HOWEVER, I've seen these given loads of times as fouls so there's just consistency

They both tried to kick the ball. I agree. Some of the mental red cards and so on for those kinds of challenges always seem silly to me. I think Griezman got one against Chelsea or something in the Champions League a few seasons back. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Spare a thought for why this tackle in tonight's Conference League game involving TNS wasn't worthy of a red card, even after a VAR check:

Go to 1:30:44 for the tackle (sorry, can't embed video at the right time stamp)

thats a shocker of a tackle

Posted (edited)

What are they looking at? It's a red as soon as he's jumped off the ground with both feet, regardless of what happens after. How and why do you even do that? It takes a concerted effort to even think about jumping in that manner, and it's not about trying to win the ball.

Edited by fightoffyour

22 hours ago, tomav84 said:

The thing that pisses me off is that introduced that live twitter feed to explain the decision making around contentious decisions to help with understanding of why the officials decided what they did. A great idea in theory.

In the case of the Cash penalty they decided against putting what happened. They just said ref awarded a pen and VAR agreed. They didn’t dare write the bit that they agreed it was a pen on the basis although Cash touched the ball he apparently didn’t mean to. They knew they’d have been torn to shreds on that so they decided to just making the dissatisfaction with VAR higher by pretending that justification happened.

They knew it was a bad call and just papered over it. 

If that was City, Arsenal or Liverpool they would never have given the pen. If they did the ref would be apologising and then demoted.

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

The thing that pisses me off is that introduced that live twitter feed to explain the decision making around contentious decisions to help with understanding of why the officials decided what they did. A great idea in theory.

In the case of the Cash penalty they decided against putting what happened. They just said ref awarded a pen and VAR agreed. They didn’t dare write the bit that they agreed it was a pen on the basis although Cash touched the ball he apparently didn’t mean to. They knew they’d have been torn to shreds on that so they decided to just making the dissatisfaction with VAR higher by pretending that justification happened.

They knew it was a bad call and just papered over it. 

If that was City, Arsenal or Liverpool they would never have given the pen. If they did the ref would be apologising and then demoted.

i give that twitter account 2 months before they scrap it. there's already at least 2 parody versions out there that i've seen

Get the automated offsides in and bin the rest of VAR. They aren't actually getting more decisions right from it now, if anything we are just seeing twice as many stupid decisions.

The refs just can’t do it, can they? No matter what changes are put in place to assist them, they’re incapable of applying rules correctly, or at the very least consistently.

A big thing has been made of VAR only overturning the ‘clear and obvious’, yet they’ve already objectively **** it up at least twice in as many weeks. 

The incompetence is a sporting scandal and is getting worse.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â