The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

I'm amazed about the cash decision.  It is another example of the incompetence/ corruption debate that is raging in my mind. I'm not quite here yet, but this doesnt feel miles away from the truth:

People will say "it's not the technology, it's the refs", but ultimately football is just too subjective for VAR to ever work. At least without VAR you just have one set of officials making mistakes, rather than what we have now where it's often TWO sets of officials making mistakes, or even the on-field referees making the correct call and then VAR jumping in to overturn it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

People will say "it's not the technology, it's the refs", but ultimately football is just too subjective for VAR to ever work.

Some decisions are subjective and in those situations the on field ref makes the call. The McGinn non penalty a few minutes into the game on Saturday could be an example. Yes he was kicked, but I can understand why it wasn't given. The Cash pen was a mistake, not subjective, the ref missed the fact that the ball was won. That's where VAR should shine and correct an understandable mistake the ref made.

8 hours ago, Mantis said:

People will say "it's not the technology, it's the refs", but ultimately football is just too subjective for VAR to ever work. At least without VAR you just have one set of officials making mistakes, rather than what we have now where it's often TWO sets of officials making mistakes, or even the on-field referees making the correct call and then VAR jumping in to overturn it.

I agree with what you’re saying about subjective and that’s my problem with VAR. what it does is allow bad refs (because that’s what most of them are) to still be bad but just be bad while watching on tv. They don’t know the game and therefore it heads them to make bad decisions and VAR does not suddenly make them better refs. Perhaps if they were a bit less arrogant about his right they are with clearly wrong decisions that might help too 

2 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

honestly they had the perfect opportunity to show a shining example of VAR at its best with the Cash incident. The ref blew for a penalty because he didn't see the touch from Cash through all the bodies. Completely understandable as this is how  line of sight works! VAR however, with the benefit of alternative angles could see the touch. They could have advised as such to the ref, who may have chosen to view the footage and reverse the decision. No egg on face, no one to blame, just a perfect example of the system working in the way the way it should.

but no, in order to save the ref from any perceived embarrassment they tell him that the touch he didn't see wasn't intentional (?!whatever that means) and they double down on the error.

Utterly moronic

100%. the perception is that if a ref is sent to the screen that the decision will be overturned but there needs to be more of "feel free to stick to your original decision, but might be worth you just seeing the other angles"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

100%. the perception is that if a ref is sent to the screen that the decision will be overturned but there needs to be more of "feel free to stick to your original decision, but might be worth you just seeing the other angles"

As soon as the ref indicates he’s going to the screen the fans start cheering as they know it’s a formality which highlights the pointlessness of that little sequence.

3 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

honestly they had the perfect opportunity to show a shining example of VAR at its best with the Cash incident. The ref blew for a penalty because he didn't see the touch from Cash through all the bodies. Completely understandable as this is how  line of sight works! VAR however, with the benefit of alternative angles could see the touch. They could have advised as such to the ref, who may have chosen to view the footage and reverse the decision. No egg on face, no one to blame, just a perfect example of the system working in the way the way it should.

but no, in order to save the ref from any perceived embarrassment they tell him that the touch he didn't see wasn't intentional (?!whatever that means) and they double down on the error.

Utterly moronic

It reminded me of the time they tried themselves in knots about the offside rule when we played City a couple of seasons ago.

Gallagher on ref watch, the only wrong decision of the weekend seems to be the Eze free kick

He's a perfect mouth piece as to why it will never get better, a proper insight in to the thinking of these clowns, they're on a different planet to the rest of us 

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

As soon as the ref indicates he’s going to the screen the fans start cheering as they know it’s a formality which highlights the pointlessness of that little sequence.

It was certainly a pleasant surprise at home to Palace last season when the ref got called over to overturn our penalty but he stuck with his decision and we went on to the win the game.

44 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Gallagher on ref watch, the only wrong decision of the weekend seems to be the Eze free kick

He's a perfect mouth piece as to why it will never get better, a proper insight in to the thinking of these clowns, they're on a different planet to the rest of us 

It is utterly bizarre how they manage to have a selection of officials who seem to see the game completely differently to the majority of people

Just now, villan95 said:

It is utterly bizarre how they manage to have a selection of officials who seem to see the game completely differently to the majority of people

Shows how bad they are at firstly changing their interpretation of the rules and then explaining / demonstrating that to the viewer 

Their problem is that a huge number of us either have played football or play football and we don't play it the same way that they seemingly do

Not a clue how there's such disparity between how we played football down the park as kids for 30 or 40 years now and how the PL is played 

I don't even think the PL know what VAR is for anymore. I get that you want to give refs a bit more control and not spend too much time checking incidents over and over, much to the frustration of the players and the fans in the ground. But I thought the whole point was to give us the best chance of the correct decision being made. If we're going to let wrong decisions stand just because the PL doesn't want VAR to get in the way then they might as well just scrap it.

• Like 1

Did VAR look at Kudus kicking McGinn inside the box?

Kudus "attempted to play the ball" but just missed it entirely and therefore deemed not a penalty.

But Cash got contact with the ball but apparently was not attempting to get the ball and was going for the man, hence why a pen was given? 

Make it make sense.

On 19/08/2024 at 15:11, duke313 said:

Did VAR look at Kudus kicking McGinn inside the box?

Kudus "attempted to play the ball" but just missed it entirely and therefore deemed not a penalty.

But Cash got contact with the ball but apparently was not attempting to get the ball and was going for the man, hence why a pen was given? 

Make it make sense.

They gave more of an explanation to this than the Cash call (go figure). They claimed there was “minimal contact”. 

I finally found footage and made a gif of the foul. It’s so blatantly a foul. He’s just kicked McGinn.

spacer.png

• Shocked 1

If you want to see an absolutely scandalous decision take a look at the penalty for handball given against Galatasary in the last seconds of last nights Champions League play off match.  Given by VAR and rubber stamped by the ref.

On 19/08/2024 at 12:04, tomav84 said:

As it is in any other sport that uses this kind of technology. It's a joint decision made by all of the officials with the available information

But football has to be different

On 20/08/2024 at 16:15, The_Steve said:

They gave more of an explanation to this than the Cash call (go figure). They claimed there was “minimal contact”. 

I finally found footage and made a gif of the foul. It’s so blatantly a foul. He’s just kicked McGinn.

spacer.png

I actually don't think these incidents should be fouls, HOWEVER, I've seen these given loads of times as fouls so there's just consistency

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â