The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Not just in our game, but in a few others there's already multiple questionable actions from VAR. This is the first weekend.

The problem isn't VAR, it's the people running it. The standards and consistency of decisions is awful. I think the only way to remove suspicion of corruption and bias is to make VAR refs independent of the PGMOL, so it doesn't feel like an old boys club.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Not just in our game, but in a few others there's already multiple questionable actions from VAR. This is the first weekend.

The problem isn't VAR, it's the people running it. The standards and consistency of decisions is awful. I think the only way to remove suspicion of corruption and bias is to make VAR refs independent of the PGMOL, so it doesn't feel like an old boys club.

100%, it’s only in the PL. We rarely see bizarre decisions outside of the PL where it’s a regular occurrence.

Can they sub it out to a European office?

• Like 1

Disgraceful as usual. Cash won the ball while minimal but Soucek went down from little contact

Yet McGinn got fouled in the box and nothing was even looked at

Still corrupt

I think we can all appreciate that contentious stuff happens on the field of play so fast its difficult sometimes for the ref to see it through a tangle of players.

Therefore before making his decision,  why not simply avoid the idiots in the garden shed at stockwell (or wherever the var morons are supposed to be watching the same game), and go to the pitch side monitors and review the incident in slow motion etc. Let the ref make the call on what he sees.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Genie said:

100%, it’s only in the PL. We rarely see bizarre decisions outside of the PL where it’s a regular occurrence.

Can they sub it out to a European office?

That's sadly not true at all. It better than in the PL but it's not great anywhere.

• Like 1

I like the idea of giving Refs the benefit of the doubt to keep the flow in the game.

Problem is engish refs are incompetent and they absolutely need VAR to correct their many mistakes.

Another flaw with how VAR works was highlighted perfectly yesterday in the Valencia - Barca game. Curbasi already on a yellow card does a blatant tactical foul pulling the arm/shirt of a Valencia player trying to stop a counter attack. The ref sees it and blows for a FK but doesn't hand out a second yellow because Barcelona. It's as blatant a second yellow as the Zinedine Zidane headbutt was a red. Why can't VAR step in and correct a obvious and important error. 

Valencia manager got a yellow for complaining thou...

Edited by sne

Posted (edited)

I hate all these silly useless 'protocol' that they are introducing. All I would like to see it's just consistency in officiating, if Mcginn's one wasn't a peno, then fine, the Cash one should not be either.

We are being punish simply by the homer ref who failed to see the McGinn foul, but somehow spotted the Cash 'foul'.

Along the season you will find ref who are more trigger happy with peno decision for Manure for example and under this **** protocol VAR will just have to let go.

A bunch of 8 year olds would do better in that video room than this current bunch of monkeys.

Edited by HongKongVillan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

That's sadly not true at all. It better than in the PL but it's not great anywhere.

In my experience yes if does happen, but it’s rare. In the English game it’s surprising when an entire game goes without some kind of VAR talking point.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Disgraceful as usual. Cash won the ball while minimal but Soucek went down from little contact

Still corrupt

You will not see a clearer penalty than Mcginn incident this year

Edited by Follyfoot

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the no red card for the wolves player is bizarre

What do they think they are seeing?

This was the biggest issue yesterday IMO. You’ve just got to wonder what they’re trying to do with rules sometimes - soft touch of heads in Newcastle game = red card. Wolves player choking Havertz with a lot of weight on it = nothing.

Why are they trying to achieve?

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Still corrupt

Cash was absolutely fouled in the build up too - Soucek was pulling down on his shoulder to get some advantage, did VAR even check that part? It's a farce still 

13 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I mean, the problem partly is VAR. Football is too subjective for it to work properly.

• Like 1

palace having a kevin friend moment go against them...it's absolutely ridiculous and why there can't be some common sense applied here i'll never know

same as in our situation, the whistle being blown didn't mean the players stopped as it was a split second before the ball crossed the line, so VAR surely needs to be given the freedom to intervene

23 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

palace having a kevin friend moment go against them...it's absolutely ridiculous and why there can't be some common sense applied here i'll never know

same as in our situation, the whistle being blown didn't mean the players stopped as it was a split second before the ball crossed the line, so VAR surely needs to be given the freedom to intervene

It's a farce for many reasons

-the whistle blowing had no effect on the ball hitting the back of the net

-the "foul" had no effect on the ball hitting the back of the net

-I'm not even convinced it is a foul in the first place...Hughes is just standing there and it's the Brentford defender who has his hands all over him

Edited by a-k
  • Like 2

Yeah, Eze's was a goal all day long. I'll argue it out with anyone. Wasn't a foul at all. Although even if it was,  it would have made no difference whatsoever on the goal going in.

Refs are like robots. New rules, follow new rules to the book, no common sense at all, it's not in the rules.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â