Racism

Brumerican

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

An American pal of mine just messaged me saying "Why have you never told me about Love Thy Neighbour! That show is ridiculous!".

Warren Mitchell was of the opinion Alf Garnet was to be laughed at because he was an idiot, not laughed with,  and this is what he told people that came up to him on the street who thought Alf Garnet had it right.

Get your pal on 'Mind Your Language'.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

An American pal of mine just messaged me saying "Why have you never told me about Love Thy Neighbour! That show is ridiculous!".

I went on YouTube to find an Alf Garnett clip so he could see that it wasn't a one-off, and found this.  I remember being allowed to watch this show when I was a nipper.  I can't imagine letting my kids watch it.  It's horrible!

Does he listen to The Luke and Pete Show?

2 minutes ago, Xann said:

Warren Mitchell was of the opinion Alf Garnet was to be laughed at because he was an idiot, not laughed with,  and this is what he told people that came up to him on the street who thought Alf Garnet had it right.

Get your pal on 'Mind Your Language'.

That is what was different about it compared to others. And it was a conversation the country needed to have imo. Tony Booth and Una Stubbs told him he was wrong and bigotted and wrapped in hate all the time.

I was still serving a few alf garnet's in my pub in the 90's sadly. That is an honest portrayal of some people at the time, however uncomfortable it is for modern sensibilities.

• Like 2

What winds me up is how it's deemed only non white people can be victims of racism. In this day and age and in this country being a victim of racism is not just restricted to minority's. Having that attitude actually breeds racism in my opinion. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What winds me up is how it's deemed only non white people can be victims of racism. In this day and age and in this country being a victim of racism is not just restricted to minority's. Having that attitude actually breeds racism in my opinion. 

Absolutely, I remember a chinese woman calling folk 'White Honky's' at an old work place I used to be at.

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Absolutely, I remember a chinese woman calling folk 'White Honky's' at an old work place I used to be at.

Ive heard about quite a lot of incidents of white people being victims of racism. Quite bad ones too. Especially in schools and area with majority Pakistanis. 

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Racism isn't deemed only the preserve of white people. The issue is more that it's more difficult to punch up and it carries less weight.

This is what I'm talking about. Being the victim all the time doesn't help battle racism. 

I'm probably finding it hard to explain.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ive heard about quite a lot of incidents of white people being victims of racism. Quite bad ones too. Especially in schools and area with majority Pakistanis. 

Pot and kettle with some of that crowd.

Happy to dish it but first to play the card when it's served back to them.

- Same job as the chinese woman, we also had an Indian chap who blatantly threatened to use 'the card' if he ever got anything as little as a verbal warning over something very minor like forgetting to press a button on a machine.

10 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Pot and kettle with some of that crowd.

Happy to dish it but first to play the card when it's served back to them.

- Same job as the chinese woman, we also had an Indian chap who blatantly threatened to use 'the card' if he ever got anything as little as a verbal warning over something very minor like forgetting to press a button on a machine.

The racist card and extreme political correctness isn't helping things.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I heard some areas of Birmingham were no go areas to non muslims ;)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

Making everyone equal means the the ones currently enjoying the privileges of their culture will have that privilege removed. They usually feel that this in unfair.

Was just discussing this with someone else while discussing the hilarious reactions to the movie Black Panther. It has nothing to do with being white but everything to do with privilege. As the saying goes, equality feels like oppression to the privileged.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

urgh

?

12 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I heard some areas of Birmingham were no go areas to non muslims ;)

There are so why the winky face?

Theres sign in a part of Lozzels that says no whites after 9! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

?

Theres sign in a part of Lozzels that says no whites after 9! 

Didn't know about LOZELLS .. but there was a handwritten sign in Alum Rock. A prisoner where I worked first made me aware of that and it was later shown in a newspaper. Got a chance of being true I suppose.