The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

Great to see West Ham called out over their ticket prices.

They even had a nibble for N’Golo Kanté but had to make do with World Cup and Copa América winner Rodríguez, who cost them nowt. Considering they are picking up such bargains, they must be able to give back to their fans by dropping ticket prices rather than, say, whacking on a 7.5% increase and preventing new concessions in the most expensive parts of the ground, making it extortionate to go as a family – but it’s good news for day-trippers.

They will be allowed to spend up to £120 to witness the visit of Manchester City and there’s not a concession ticket in sight. If you want to come to the Füllkrug, you gotta pay top dollar, otherwise he will refuse to perform. A petition opposing the price rises and concession changes has been signed by more than 15,000 people. These are folk who know the risk of losing ageing fans who find enjoyment in the team they have loved for decades and the dangers of losing a generation of younger supporters who will find more cost-effective fun than witnessing a weekend pummelling by Bournemouth.

“It’s an [eff]ing liberty but it’s the way of the world today I’m afraid,” actor Ray Winstone geezered to coinpoker.com. Even those who can afford the whopping top whack £1,720 season tickets will need to take their binoculars because everyone is so far away from the pitch at the London Stadium. Did we mention the taxpayer built it? Anyway, good news about spending £40m on Kilman.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/aug/07/football-daily-west-ham

• Like 2

Martin Braithwaite who is worth around a quarter of a billion is considering buying Espanyol because he is unhappy with how they treated him before his release :D 

• Like 1

On 09/08/2024 at 00:04, Zatman said:

Martin Braithwaite who is worth around a quarter of a billion is considering buying Espanyol because he is unhappy with how they treated him before his release :D 

How's he worth so much?

12 hours ago, Hobsons Choice said:

How is PSR of benefit to the integrity of the league. HOW?

PSR was brought in as a token effort to make it seem like the PL cared about financial fair play. Spoiler: They didn't. It was assumed at the time the rules were made nobody would ever breach them so they didn't really matter. However they never reformed the rules and now, due to inflation and other factors, clubs are breaching them. But because of the voting structure in the PL the clubs that aren't breaching them will vote against reform to harm their direct competitors as they are not affected by PSR. 

That's as I understand it anyway. 

Today I have read that West Ham have signed Wan-Bissaka on a 7 year contract, while Cole Palmer has been extended for 9 years until 2033 at Chelsea.

Did not the premier league introduce a rule last year to prevent clubs from offering longer than 5 year contract lengths? What happened to that all of a sudden, or is everyone just pretending that didn't happen and ignoring the rules again?

29 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Today I have read that West Ham have signed Wan-Bissaka on a 7 year contract, while Cole Palmer has been extended for 9 years until 2033 at Chelsea.

Did not the premier league introduce a rule last year to prevent clubs from offering longer than 5 year contract lengths? What happened to that all of a sudden, or is everyone just pretending that didn't happen and ignoring the rules again?

No, you can offer contracts of any length, it's just that the amortisation period is now a maximum of 5 years. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, est1874 said:

You can offer a 10 year contract. It's just the signing fee has to be paid within the 5 year period.

4 hours ago, sne said:

Al Ahli is supposed to have offered €1bn to Real for Vinicius Jr.

So the current highest transfer fee is £198m for Neymar I believe. Do we really think the next record signing is a jump straight to £850m? 

2 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

So the current highest transfer fee is £198m for Neymar I believe. Do we really think the next record signing is a jump straight to £850m? 

They could offer £10bn for all they care. They triggered his release clause which apparently is €1bn. He didn't want to move.

16 minutes ago, sne said:

They could offer £10bn for all they care. They triggered his release clause which apparently is €1bn. He didn't want to move.

To trigger it he would have to technically pay the 1bn 😂😂

Am sure Spanish tax authorities be all over that

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sne said:

If he doesn't want to move then he won't?

• Like 1

I think we should let the Saudi's play in the Champions League.

But force then to adhere to FFP rules.

Imagine the financial gymnastics they'd go through in order to insist that a club with a tiny TV deal and 900 fans makes enough money to pay Vinicius Jr £6m a week.

More than ever players have become pawns in an elaborate game of financial chess. Yes, they can benefit themselves to the tune of millions, but I do feel that being told you have to be shipped off to e.g. Saudi in order to prevent the club from breaching the regulations is somewhat harsh if actually maybe you're settled and enjoy playing for the club and already earn enough for multiple lifetimes.

I wonder if we'll ever hear from a player's perspective about all this stuff?

37 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

More than ever players have become pawns in an elaborate game of financial chess. Yes, they can benefit themselves to the tune of millions, but I do feel that being told you have to be shipped off to e.g. Saudi in order to prevent the club from breaching the regulations is somewhat harsh if actually maybe you're settled and enjoy playing for the club and already earn enough for multiple lifetimes.

I wonder if we'll ever hear from a player's perspective about all this stuff?

Not on same level but is players(good few ex Villa) on podcasts like Under the Cosh and talking about how get bombsquaded

Sounds dreadful and a hell of a lot finger pointing as neither manager or CEO/Owner seems to ever take responsibility

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â