The Game's Gone

NurembergVillan

Socios tokens were a major issue at the recent Arsenal supporter's forum meeting:

For those who are not aware, 'share dilutions' are when companies issue new shares (often taking advantage of a high share price). This dilutes the share of existing shareholders, and usually leads to significant falls in share prices. Arsenal and Socios are issuing new tokens and diluting the holdings of existing token holders, tanking the price of the tokens.

Now to be clear, there's nothing *necessarily* wrong or immoral about share dilutions; part of being a shareholder is that you have to accept the management of the company may make decisions like this. But once again, we come to the question of whether Socios token holders are adequately informed about these risks; their 'Responsible Operation & Responsible Trading' page does not mention it (https://www.socios.com/responsible-operation-responsible-trading/). The same page also states that:

'When launching a Fan Token, we encourage new club partners to impose a cap on the amount of Fan Tokens any one customer can buy. This is to ensure that fans, some of whom may be new to digital assets, do not over-expose themselves, and also to ensure that those fans who want to buy, can. With most Fan Token Offerings – the timed period when the Fan Tokens for a team are first sold at a set price – we impose an initial limit of 75 tokens per fan, which translates to a maximum spend of €150. In practice, a clear majority of customers hold only a few tokens.'

It is interesting to compare that to the following tweet from an Athletic reporter who has been covering the company:

. . . which suggests that people are, in fact, over-exposing themselves.

(The reason that tweet mentions Turkey is that the value of the Turkish lira has plummeted  - it has lost 75% of its value against the pound over the last 5 years - and inflation is running at over 60%, thanks to abysmal economic management from Erdogan. As a result, many Turkish people have started attempting to protect the value of their cash by converting into cryptocurrencies, a decision which is likely to have tragic and ruinous consequences for many Turkish people in due course)

It's worth remembering that Aston Villa have a Socios fan token, sprung on supporters by surprise, after (IIRC) Purslow initially said we would not be doing so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have no idea how there is any value in these fan tokens.

I get how there is value in crypto currency in general. But these things just created for each club? How are they worth anything? What are they for?

I presume the answer is, they're not worth anything

Edited by Stevo985

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I have no idea how there is any value in these fan tokens.

I get how there is value in crypto currency in general. But these things just created for each club? How are they worth anything? What are they for?

I presume the answer is, they're not worth anything

They supposedly let you vote on restricted polls that the clubs put up to help guide the direction of the club. However, I'm guessing the polls will be the lowest of low hanging fruit as anything important wouldn't be made public like that. 

14 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Socios tokens were a major issue at the recent Arsenal supporter's forum meeting:

For those who are not aware, 'share dilutions' are when companies issue new shares (often taking advantage of a high share price). This dilutes the share of existing shareholders, and usually leads to significant falls in share prices. Arsenal and Socios are issuing new tokens and diluting the holdings of existing token holders, tanking the price of the tokens.

Now to be clear, there's nothing *necessarily* wrong or immoral about share dilutions; part of being a shareholder is that you have to accept the management of the company may make decisions like this. But once again, we come to the question of whether Socios token holders are adequately informed about these risks; their 'Responsible Operation & Responsible Trading' page does not mention it (https://www.socios.com/responsible-operation-responsible-trading/). The same page also states that:

'When launching a Fan Token, we encourage new club partners to impose a cap on the amount of Fan Tokens any one customer can buy. This is to ensure that fans, some of whom may be new to digital assets, do not over-expose themselves, and also to ensure that those fans who want to buy, can. With most Fan Token Offerings – the timed period when the Fan Tokens for a team are first sold at a set price – we impose an initial limit of 75 tokens per fan, which translates to a maximum spend of €150. In practice, a clear majority of customers hold only a few tokens.'

It is interesting to compare that to the following tweet from an Athletic reporter who has been covering the company:

. . . which suggests that people are, in fact, over-exposing themselves.

(The reason that tweet mentions Turkey is that the value of the Turkish lira has plummeted  - it has lost 75% of its value against the pound over the last 5 years - and inflation is running at over 60%, thanks to abysmal economic management from Erdogan. As a result, many Turkish people have started attempting to protect the value of their cash by converting into cryptocurrencies, a decision which is likely to have tragic and ruinous consequences for many Turkish people in due course)

It's worth remembering that Aston Villa have a Socios fan token, sprung on supporters by surprise, after (IIRC) Purslow initially said we would not be doing so.

Socios should be banned tbh 

26 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Mbappe apparently close to sign a 2-year extension with PSG. Would give him a ”loyalty bonus” of €100m, and a salary of €50m per year after taxes (about £1300k per week before tax).

That's his family sorted for the next 3 generations. Secure that bag youngin'!

59 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Mbappe apparently close to sign a 2-year extension with PSG. Would give him a ”loyalty bonus” of €100m, and a salary of €50m per year after taxes (about £1300k per week before tax).

For decades we've been talking about player wages and saying the game is gone. I don't know at what point it crossed the line, but this is just morally repugnant. I wonder how much their season tickets are going up by this year? :) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

For decades we've been talking about player wages and saying the game is gone. I don't know at what point it crossed the line, but this is just morally repugnant. I wonder how much their season tickets are going up by this year? :) 

Season tickets?!

Look at prices of fuel going up, that is paying for it.

On 06/05/2022 at 22:30, VillaParkAvenue said:

Loyalty for not breaking his previously agreed contract due to being unaffordable…?

Great bunch of lads. What a lovely place.

Wonder if they'll get him to Newcastle as well.

Lionel Messi arrives in Jeddah after being unveiled as Saudi Arabia’s new tourism ambassador

JEDDAH: Lionel Messi arrived in Jeddah on Monday after the Saudi Tourism Authority announced that the Paris Saint-Germain and Argentina footballer is its new official brand ambassador.

In a message posted on Twitter, Saudi Tourism Minister Ahmed Al-Khateeb wrote: “I am pleased to welcome Lionel Messi to Saudi Arabia. We are excited for you to explore the treasure of the Red Sea, the Jeddah Season and our ancient history. This is not his first visit to the Kingdom and it will not be the last.” As the announcement of his new role as Tourism ambassador spread on social media, users, including fellow footballers, praised the Tourism Ministry for recruiting him.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/2078646/sport

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â