Commonwealth Games 2022

villa4europe

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Brummies are never one to big the city up, so it needed the outsiders to come in and wax lyrical about it on our behalf! 

So true. Our Northern friends have convinced the world that Manchester/Liverpool/Newcastle are the best cities in the world because they won't **** shut up about how utterly amazebobs their cities are. 

The Mancs have a massive chip on their shoulder about the second city title. 

Brum has ALWAYS been derided in the press and that's imprinted in the nations mind now. Brummies are not inherently negative about our city as I've seen people on here say, but it's just not in our nature to wax lyrical about Brum, we would see it as boastful. We just quietly get on with stuff like inventing the world, not that anyone would know. 

Another Web forum I write on occasionally had a poster overheard a conversation a woman from elsewhere was having on her phone in Victoria Square, she was saying that the place was amazing with all the squares and if she didn't know she was in Birmingham she might think she was in London. 

All these thousands on visitors are going to be posting on t'internet and talking to family and friends saying similar things. We don't need to be shy about bigging Brum up, it's proper good. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

I love Birmingham as a city, always have.

🤫 We don't want everyman and his dog here it will push the prices up and the que at the bar will be massive.

Joking apart Birmingham has some great restaurants. I have visited many places that cannot compete with the standard and the variety. France serves some stunning French food but the variety is lacking. Liverpool was dreadful and Dublin as well didn't measure up well, there's not many city's that can match us.

Pubs as well , architecture wises its hard to get one that competes with Lost and Found or the Old Joint Stock.

• Like 1

Forced the kids into Brum this afternoon to see the sights and soak up the atmosphere. Despite catching the Bull in action they were pretty underwhelmed, they're just that age but they indulged dad. 

Went into the shop in Centenary Square, it was absolutely massive, couldn't quite get over how big it was and the queue to pay was massive although it did move quickly.  There is another shop under Rotunda plus I guess more at the venues. They must be absolutely raking it in. 

Thank god my daughter came into the shop with me as I bought a small Perry the Bull soft toy and got her 10% student discount off the £20 (twenty pounds) price. 😲

Found out neither of them had been to or even knew what or where the Rag Market was. I feel I've neglected to bring them up as proper Brummie. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Forced the kids into Brum this afternoon to see the sights and soak up the atmosphere. Despite catching the Bull in action they were pretty underwhelmed, they're just that age but they indulged dad. 

Went into the shop in Centenary Square, it was absolutely massive, couldn't quite get over how big it was and the queue to pay was massive although it did move quickly.  There is another shop under Rotunda plus I guess more at the venues. They must be absolutely raking it in. 

Thank god my daughter came into the shop with me as I bought a small Perry the Bull soft toy and got her 10% student discount off the £20 (twenty pounds) price. 😲

Found out neither of them had been to or even knew what or where the Rag Market was. I feel I've neglected to bring them up as proper Brummie. 

I bought a twenty pound Perry from there too. Yes, it's expensive, but I figured it's a one-off, and they are pretty cool.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

If I was you, I'd be more concerned how they're gonna be able to drink in town when they are old enough. Mate.

• Haha 1

There's a chunk of nutters that think the bull and it's position/actions/interactions in the opening ceremony is cast iron evidence of devil worship and signifying the end times.

These people can vote.

So I missed most of the game today as I was at the NETBALL in support of Mrs Sidcow who was there for business reasons. 

I'll admit I was annoyed to miss the dubious enjoyment of little rivers to catch up with Villa's exploits but to have them lose awfully whilst ALSO witnessing England get schooled by Australia in the netball. 

All in all I've had better days. 

46 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

The cycling is coming past my house in Warwick today, I have to admit it’s quite exciting.

Warwick Castle looking resplendent!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Is there ever surprise results in short distance running events?

That 19 year old Zambian in the 400m has to be a surprise came from nowhere 😜 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

He's still on the floor. He really put everything into that crazy sprint at the end of the race.

8 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Yeah I timed that question well 😆

Although I note that race didn’t seem to have a clear favourite going in (he might be it in future).  Anytime a favourite is declared before the race generally though, they seem to win with ease.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â