Commonwealth Games 2022

villa4europe

Enjoy watching Adam Peaty, he's an absolute machine, obviously not fully fit from his injury yet though.

Edited by foreveryoung

16 minutes ago, coda said:

He took a wrong turn and had to double back. It didn't affect the outcome.

With the underestimation of how long the wheelchair racers would take and now this it feels like it hasn't been a great day for the road race organisers.

Edited by Lichfield Dean

Grumpy old man alert:

The almost constant music between every point won in the beach volleyball....along with a very yappy DJ....then the beach crew run on during every technical timeout and do some mad and zany dancing 🙄

OK....so I am more pissed off that the women's competition hasn't yet started and I'm having to watch the blokes first.....but that bloody music !!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

With the underestimation of how long the wheelchair racers would take and now this it feels like it hasn't been a great day for the road race organisers.

The start of a triathlons yesterday were a bit of a joke as well. The starting gun sounded as the announcer was still saying “take your marks”

It wouldn’t be so bad but it happened in both races. You think after the first one they’d realise

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, trekka said:

I was disappointed watching BBC Breakfast this morning when they confirmed that in all likelihood it would be recycled due to the heavy plant vehicle, the fact that it is made of foam in parts (so cannot be stored outside) and that resource is required to make it interactive (i.e. people inside the thing with sticks).  Just shove it in a glass box with a little plaque at the arrivals section of Birmingham Airport if needed! Surely we can't just let it be dismantled. 

It's been such a huge bit with everybody that it just seems like it's worth whatever it costs to give it a permanent home. Ten grand? Twenty? Peanuts compared to what it would be worth over a lifetime of visitors to a museum exhibit. It would be so shortsighted to let this opportunity go to waste. But would be typical Birmingham though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, trekka said:

I was disappointed watching BBC Breakfast this morning when they confirmed that in all likelihood it would be recycled due to the heavy plant vehicle, the fact that it is made of foam in parts (so cannot be stored outside) and that resource is required to make it interactive (i.e. people inside the thing with sticks).  Just shove it in a glass box with a little plaque at the arrivals section of Birmingham Airport if needed! Surely we can't just let it be dismantled. 

Yeah, ideally would be kept in working order but if it can only be kept in a "frozen" state that would still be fine. 

I really can't believe more thought wasn't put into this. 

I think they just didn't realise what an impact it would have.  The artistic director was genuinely taken a back when he saw it, and the designer was talking about he was unsure if it would go down well. 

I don't think they really understood how impressive it was going to be and what an impact it was going to make. 

• Like 3

Yeah they can definitley knock the moving parts on the head, that's not a reason to bin it off

Something tells me they'll have a whip around off the back of this and Joe public will end up donating enough to pay for it

For one I don't believe that they rented a completely blacked out telehandler

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah they can definitley knock the moving parts on the head, that's not a reason to bin it off

Something tells me they'll have a whip around off the back of this and Joe public will end up donating enough to pay for it

For one I don't believe that they rented a completely blacked out telehandler

Yeah, I can't see it being dismantled. Its become iconic already!

Put it on a plinth in Centenary Square permanently. Put the King Kong statue next to it. 

I can't see them buying a telehandler? A new one at that size must be £100k? Maybe a bit less? Could be a used one I guess?

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yeah, I can't see it being dismantled. Its become iconic already!

Put it on a plinth in Centenary Square permanently. Put the King Kong statue next to it. 

I can't see them buying a telehandler? A new one at that size must be £100k? Maybe a bit less? Could be a used one I guess?

It can't be left outside. Apparently a lot of the "metal" is actually foam painted to look like metal to save weight. 

I'm sure if an indoor space can be found they could build a support frame to replace the telehandler if necessary. 

Edited by sidcow

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It can't be left outside. Apparently a lot of the "metal" is actually foam painted to look like metal to save weight. 

I'm sure if an indoor space can be found they could build a support frame to replace the telehandler if necessary. 

Given that the designers made it to be as light-weight as can be, that is absolutely possible.  Heck, even find a space in New Street Station if need be.   

Council leader Cllr Ian Ward stepped up after seeing the hugely positive reaction to the super-prop... Speaking to BirminghamLive today (July 30), he said: "I am delighted with how well the Opening Ceremony Bull has been received by the people of Birmingham and beyond. The council is in discussion with partners to see what is possible for the future"

BirminghamLive

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Local and Villa-related news:

Alice Kinsella, daughter of Mark Kinsella, and who lives in Sutton Coldfield, just won gold in the women's gymnastics team event.

Saw it in person.  She was phenomenal, had no idea she was his daughter.  Should have known when she was started incessantly pointing at everything.

Â