On This Day In History

NurembergVillan

3 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

47 years ago today Elvis died. I remember that day so vividly, as if it just happened. My parents had tickets for the tour in my hometown of Asheville, NC but the rest is history. I saw him in Asheville in 1975 when I was 9. Man, he was a full-fledged cape-wearing superhero to young me. Still an enormous fan to this day. Hard to fathom my musical world- hell, my life in general- had there never been an Elvis Presley 👑❤️😢

Late period Elvis is just superb. My mum thinks I’m taking the piss as it doesn’t really align with what she believes my taste to be. But yeah, superb.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

He done alright for someone who couldn’t sing, dance or play guitar 

And for someone who stole his moves from Forrest Gump.

Edited by AVFC_Hitz
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Late period Elvis is just superb. My mum thinks I’m taking the piss as it doesn’t really align with what she believes my taste to be. But yeah, superb.

And such a spectacular band in those years: James Burton, Ron Tutt, Jerry Scheffler, Glen D. Hardin. I love late E as well. First time I went to Graceland someone had written “I love fat karate Elvis” on the stone wall outside and to this day I want a t-shirt with that on it 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I have way too much Elvis stuff. This is in our living room

IMG-0548.jpg

• Sad 1

When Elvis died… I was listening to The Buzzcocks and Talking Heads. To me it was like something from the past had finally succumbed to the ravages of time. In my head he was about 96 and was the star of all those shit films

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

When Elvis died… I was listening to The Buzzcocks and Talking Heads. To me it was like something from the past had finally succumbed to the ravages of time. In my head he was about 96 and was the star of all those shit films

Yep, when he was alive the music did nothing for me, he was the old order, although even then he was old order in the same way as Eddie Cochran or Buddy Holly. It was irrelevant or a novelty, rather than the opposition.

There was nobody wearing Elvis stuff or scratching Elvis in to there satchel. Probably the only reference I had for him was my mum absolutely loved his music, he’d get a fair bit of weekend radio play, and on my Who album cover Keith Moon had a badge that proclaimed Elvis For Everyone.

He wasn’t on the sus list. He wasn’t the noodling shite and ‘rock’ or ‘metal’ that all the previous out of date generation liked. He wasn’t Rush, or Tull, or Queen or Stardust or Mike Oldfield and all that sludge. He wasn’t the enemy.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I do own The Best of Elvis Presley. I know how VT love a good best of album. 

I used to have one of those, for completeness sake. But I eventually got rid of it. 

49 minutes ago, bickster said:

Today in 1977, the Police made their debut as a 3 piece at Rebecca’s on John Bright St in Brum

Sort of. It was indeed their first gig with the Andy Summers lineup. But their actual debut as a trio (with Henry Padovani on guitar) was on 1 March 1977 at the Alexandria Club in Newport, Wales. 

</pedant> 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Sort of. It was indeed their first gig with the Andy Summers lineup. But their actual debut as a trio (with Henry Padovani on guitar) was on 1 March 1977 at the Alexandria Club in Newport, Wales. 

</pedant> 

Yes badly worded by me, This was the first gig of the Sting/Summers/Copeland line-up

But you’re also wrong, this isn’t the first Summers gig, they existed and gigged as a four piece with both Padovani and Summers for a couple of months.

Tbh I knew none of this until today, I just didn’t know that the classic line-up of The Police's first gig was in Brum

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

</pedant> 

Needs more “well, actually” 🤣

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bickster said:

Today in 1977, the Police made their debut as a 3 piece at Rebecca’s on John Bright St in Brum

I've mentioned before, but that was where my parents met. Would have been '71 or '72?

They celebrate their 50th anniversary next month...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The executions following the Pendle Witch Trials take place in 1612.

Bideford in North Devon was the last place in England to kill witches. 

spacer.png

Weird thing to pop a commerative plaque up for but it's always been an odd place.

The first Native American convert to come to Europe is also buried there.

Also an argument that Hubba Ragnarson is buried there (but might be more Ilfracombe way).

Awful lot of history for a tiny little town. The Mayflower also set off from there before going go Plymouth. 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Phineas Gage survives a blasting accident while working on a railroad in Vermont in 1848 which involved an iron rod going up through his skull. 

I assume he had the rest of the day off after the necessary work place accident log was duly filled in.

IMG_7077.jpeg.9b57f939116933a55d573df1409e678c.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Phineas Gage survives a blasting accident while working on a railroad in Vermont in 1848 which involved an iron rod going up through his skull. 

I assume he had the rest of the day off after the necessary work place accident log was duly filled in.

IMG_7077.jpeg.9b57f939116933a55d573df1409e678c.jpeg

And a pioneering test case for medical studies of the brain after a frontal lobotomy. Wiki 

Screenshot_2024-09-13-18-18-17-79_173823495e561b2cdc2de22ac640109c.jpg

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â