General Election 2017

ender4

23 minutes ago, Jon said:

I'd Imagine they could get done for this. Their coverage is meantto be both accurate and impartial, and this is clearly neither.

I've been trying to see how they even arrived at £23,000, and can't see how they managed it.  Bizarre.

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

I've been trying to see how they even arrived at £23,000, and can't see how they managed it.  Bizarre.

Because they hired people who did media studies at Uni rather than Accounting! 

Thankyou, thank you I'll be here all week.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

I'm not sure how the BBC are getting away with this 

Louise Minchin was particularly embarrassing on Breakfast this morning, the Lib Dems have proposed a 1p tax increase across a load of income brackets, she could not get her head around what 1p meant and didn't understand marginal taxation, all the BBC seem to do is fuel ignorance. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

9 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Because they hired people who did media studies at Uni rather than Accounting! 

Thankyou, thank you I'll be here all week.

Maybe Diane Abbott was helping out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't understand the issue people have with Media Studies.. The media and entertainment industry is a growing, high-value-added industry at which the UK is one of the global market leaders, which is a major export earner for the UK and helps with our balance of trade. We're not talking about learning Klingon here, it's a real, massive industry that needs people who know what the **** they're talking about for us to maintain our industry-leading role. 

I think you will see demand for humanities degrees going up in a decade's time. The scary thing with automation is that the automation is increasingly becoming automated. A lot of jobs in programming or that at least require some decent level of coding will be rendered completely obsolete. 

7 minutes ago, Risso said:

Maybe Diane Abbott was helping out.

Or Phillip Hammond ! 

It truely is a golden age for politics. I wonder why that is? Maybe it's because the media rips to pieces every single politician in a way which they would never do to anyone in business. Any up and coming bright thing with half a brain cell thinks maybe I'll make loads of money rather than go into public service and you know...help people. 

You know we should really study this phenomenon further. Oh wait...sorry, yep accounting it is. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 2

As someone who has no idea on how to vote, and regularly come out as a 'Centrist' who has left and right wings on various things, I must say the Labour manifesto, in general, looks decent. I don't agree with all of it, but you are never going to, are you?

The question is, is it just wishful thinking? What % of previous government manifesto pledges actually happened in reality? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

As someone who has no idea on how to vote, and regularly come out as a 'Centrist' who has left and right wings on various things, I must say the Labour manifesto, in general, looks decent. I don't agree with all of it, but you are never going to, are you?

The question is, is it just wishful thinking? What % of previous government manifesto pledges actually happened in reality? 

Not sure, but we're in a position where there is 0% chance of a majority Labour government. A vote for those policies is a statement of "this is the country I want to live in".

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

I suppose the question would be better posed as 'there's a party that says loads of stuff I like, but they will only do some of it' versus 'there's a party that won't do any of the things I like'.

It's a moot point because it's going to be a Tory landslide but more votes for this form of Labour isn't a bad thing. If that's what you want of course.

• Like 1

Guido Fawkes reporting a study by some academic who has looked at election prospects for parliamentary seats in East Anglia.

He claims Clive Lewis has a 74% chance of losing Norwich South, significant for those in Labour planning for a post-election & post-Corbyn  PLP - assuming he actually steps down.. 

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

These may actually be 2 different events

Sure, I don't think either he or McDonnell will go quietly, hence the coming split / merger(s). 

Interestingly (or not) Labour have suspended all 9 of their Councillors on Aberdeenshire CC for reaching an agreement with the Tories on the Council to oppose the SNP. 

According to Scottish TV a further two Labour groups in different council areas are (or maybe now, were) looking at doing the same. 

39 minutes ago, Xann said:

Guerilla poster campaign in Camberwell.

No internet for guessing what pic they chose? :)

Hide contents

Rth3pGm.jpg

Meh, it's a dirty tactic but it might be more effective than any official Labour campaign in certain areas of the country.

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Guido Fawkes reporting a study by some academic who has looked at election prospects for parliamentary seats in East Anglia.

He claims Clive Lewis has a 74% chance of losing Norwich South, significant for those in Labour planning for a post-election & post-Corbyn  PLP - assuming he actually steps down.. 

While this definitely does have a non-trivial chance of happening, I don't think much of this guy's analysis, which has thrown up some bizarre predictions on the constituency level, including having the Tories at 81% to win Brent North (11,000 Labour majority in a London seat and no UKIP vote to speak of), 91% to win Redcar (Tories came fourth two years ago, more than 11,000 votes behind Labour, and have never won the seat), and 54% in Westmoreland and Lonsdale, which is Tim Farron's seat, and in which he got more than half the votes and a 9,000 vote majority. It also gives way too many candidates 100% probabilities. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

So the Conservative manifesto will say that firms will be charged more hire non EU immigrants.

They'll cost the NHS a few bob.

Headline policies are immigration and Brexit, which basically makes it the UK independence Party. 

Edited by PompeyVillan
  • Like 2

Â