General Election 2017

ender4

8 hours ago, blandy said:

I get disagreeing on opinion, but facts?  I mean,  it happened, it's on video and all that kind of thing. The tweets and even mails, they're out there. I didn't quote them because, well, twitter, bullying, threats, vile abuse...y know sadly it is common, but it happened and it wasn't a few isolated sad sacks. It was a ton of Corbyn fanatics and momentumists....

It's wrecking his image, it's part of his hinterland. It's appalling.

Probably them alternative facts that people keep banging on about.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

I'm just going to bow out of this one, as I don't want to get into the ins and outs, and look like a conspiracy theorist. I'll just say that I don't condone bullying by anyone, and especially not by those who purport to support Jeremy. I've highlighted part of the sentence, and I think it describes very well the motives behind that episode in the coup. I'll leave it there, and appreciate you probably don't agree, but that's OK.

But you are already outlining a conspiracy theory. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I had a quick scroll down The Sun web-site last night. 

Pure smear campaign.  Appalling...

18359013_10155464795955466_4582023325672723991_o.jpg

Your first mistake was looking on the S*n's website.

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Which is fine. However people are still free to comment on what you've already posted.

Yes, you are. Which is why I'm staying polite. Raking over old ground from the failed coup does my cause no favours though.

1 minute ago, dAVe80 said:

Your first mistake was looking on the S*n's website.

I quite regularly have a look to see what bile they're peddling (and to see which celeb has recently got their bewbs out).

Pleasantly surprising was the anti-Tory sentiment in a lot of the comments, accusing the paper of bias (no shit) etc. 

Is there hope?  Probably not.

• Like 1

Just now, Wainy316 said:

I quite regularly have a look to see what bile they're peddling (and to see which celeb has recently got their bewbs out).

Pleasantly surprising was the anti-Tory sentiment in a lot of the comments, accusing the paper of bias (no shit) etc. 

Is there hope?  Probably not.

I was heartened last night, when I saw an old colleague on Facebook, who I'd written off as a likable idiot, proclaimed that although in the past he didn't know anything about politics, he knew that there was no way he was voting Tory.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

NHS, education, housing, immigration...but let's just talk about bringing back fox hunting. A bit of weekend fun for our pals in the red coats and their fluffy friendly doges.

What a bunch of words removed.

My first and probably last venture into a bolitics thread.

Think you nailed it in fairness.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I had a quick scroll down The Sun web-site last night. 

Pure smear campaign.  Appalling...

18359013_10155464795955466_4582023325672723991_o.jpg

What's frustrating is it will influence people, without wanting to sound arrogant/elitist that sort of thing.

The sort of folk that will buy a newspaper because there are (or at least used to be) tits on page 3 every day probably ain't the sort that will scrutinise what they read.

I've had the old indignant "Brown sold our gold!" argument from the same types. Although I like to think that anyone making that arguement is more akin to pirate or is a practicing Pastafarian. So I'll forgive them somewhat.

In today's news Lib Dems and Labour promise to stop real time cuts to education system.

Conservatives say we can't afford schools anymore. Cripes that's another thing we can't afford, we must be a really poor country?!?

20 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

In today's news Lib Dems and Labour promise to stop real time cuts to education system.

Conservatives say we can't afford schools anymore. Cripes that's another thing we can't afford, we must be a really poor country?!?

We probably won't be able to afford them as a result of the Brexit deal.

Local LibDem MP Greg Mulholland posted this on his Facebook page:

No-change parking machines cause necessary stress and discriminate against low earners and those who can't use other methods such as card payment or by phone. 

They act like a form of extra taxation. That is completely unfair and they should be banned. 

This was my response: 

It's all marketing psychology, along the lines of pricing items at (say) £2.99 rather than £3.00 - because people only 'see' the 2, and it seems less expensive. Setting a parking charge at £3.90 works on the same principle, with the added bonus that most people won't have the right change, and will put in £4.00. The resentment this causes is probably out of all proportion, and nobody would bat an eyelid if the charge was set at £4.00. In practice it IS £4.00 - with a 10p discount for anybody who can be bothered to carry around a pocketful of silver. In the grand scheme of commercial ripoffs, this is small potatoes of the 'first world problems' variety. If you want a parking-related issue to get angry about, I suggest addressing paid parking in hospitals - especially when they are of the 'pre-pay' type. Nobody knows how long they are going to be in, so the tendency is to overestimate, just in case. Apart from the argument that it should be free, at the very least they should use only 'pay on exit' technology, so we pay for what we have used, and no more.

Naturally, he didn't reply. 

• Like 4

I know it's petty, but can you be more equal? Surely something is either equal or not. 

Labour could campaign to make us an equal society? Or as fairer society? But more equal?

And on that Sun article, there is no way 42% of people trust the Tories on the NHS. And 62% on Brexit? I'd be surprised if any leave voters trust them (you know NHS bus, and all), so that's at least 49% right there. 

Â