General Election 2017

ender4

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Strong leader who has debated up and down the count..

Hahahaha...haha...hahahaha...

Snigger...

...up and down the country Home Brand Maggie, has a conference today and the journalists aren't allowed to ask questions unless picked to ask, and seems they have to declare their questions beforehand once picked.

Utter coward.

Thing is, there's no need for her to put herself under any kind of unwanted pressure because all she has to do win is to not **** up.

I'm not remotely surprised she's behaving the way she is. 

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Thing is, there's no need for her to put herself under any kind of unwanted pressure because all she has to do win is to not **** up.

Oh certainly. Everything she does beyond pretending to be electioneering weakens her hand potentially given how commanding her position is and how bad her opposition is.

Doesn't mean we have to like or accept it though. Especially when she's running around pretending to be some great strong leader when it's a paper thin facade.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

It shows a lack of confidence, and weakness under scrutiny.

It's also contemptuous and disrespectful to the electorate.

Theresa May think's she can stamp her feet and shout "strong and stable" and people will vote for her. 

On top of this she's copying a Labour 2015 manifesto pledge, one that she and members of her cabinet opposed. Surely even the most ardent Conservatives are quite embarrassed by another yet another spectacular U-turn?

She's insulting the intelligence of her own supporters.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Oh certainly. Everything she does beyond pretending to be electioneering weakens her hand potentially given how commanding her position is and how bad her opposition is.

Doesn't mean we have to like or accept it though. Especially when she's running around pretending to be some great strong leader when it's a paper thin facade.

Yup I don't like it either and I think it's pretty poor form, though, I do understand why she is.

As amole said, the media should be tearing her apart for it.

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yup I don't like it either and I think it's pretty poor form, though, I do understand why she is.

As amole said, the media should be tearing her apart for it.

almost as if there is an agenda that needs someone like may and the Tories in charge that the those controlling said media support, 

but i'm sure its just a coincidence

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

25 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Also it's up to someone in the media to ask, when picked, why Theresa May is censoring the questions being put to her.

well there has never been a shortage of people willing to sell their fellow man short for a few pieces of silver or some other perceived advantage

She's now taking random questions from factory workers. Presumably they're considered less dangerous. Although even random members of the public weren't allowed to speak to her previously at these events.

The journalists earlier weren't even allowed to hold the mic.

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

Sorry for the confusion, but that's not what I meant. I don't consider them to be any kind of left. I consider them red Tories.

The issue we still have, and unfortunately will continue to have, is although he's leader, the right (to make it clear I mean the likes of Mandelson, McNicol, and a lot of the PLP, especially Progress members) will not accept the mandate given to the leader by the members. They work constantly to undermine him, and help ensure the party continues to look like the shambles it appears. I understand that you don't hold the same view on me as this, and you have other reasons for not liking Jeremy (which I understand, even if I disagree with). The problem is though, for members like me, who voted for him, and still support him, his detractors in the party still hold power, so the message we support and want to represent us is muddied, and lost. It's incredibly frustrating, because we believe if we could get a party where everyone sings from the same sheet, with the biggest membership of any party in Europe, we should be able to walk the election. I understand this is equally frustrating for people who feel they want to support Labour, but can't, however (and this is probably an area where we're going to differ the most) we feel that Jeremy just hasn't been given a fair run by his own party.

On all this in-fighting etc. My understanding of the structure is that it's not just "elect a leader" and then he's all powerful. There's a whole bunch of roles which are elected - deputy as well as leader and then the various NEC folk. They're all elected, too. Now just because Jeremy doesn't agree with them, or vice versa doesn't make them by default wrong.

I completely accept that a bunch of people have been complete knobheads reagrding Corbyn - there's a fair part of Labour's problems caused by the system they have and the people in it (and that includes Corbyn and his chums as well as the various dinosaurs/Blairites/red tories/whatever ).. people want to slag them off as.

But all that going on is just another reason why they won't get in. It seems like an insoluble mess.

1 hour ago, PompeyVillan said:

On top of this she's copying a Labour 2015 manifesto pledge, one that she and members of her cabinet opposed. Surely even the most ardent Conservatives are quite embarrassed by another yet another spectacular U-turn?

It's what they do. The Conservatives do exist to get and hold on to power. They will say and do practically anything to get power. Mimic UKIPs on immigration and Foreigners and Brexit to get their voters, then move on to claiming to mimic Labour on Utility bills, or Liberals on Tax thresholds or Greens on the environment (for a while). They don't actually mean any of it, it's just a means to an end. But it works unless the opposition has a credible "story" and a credible sounding plan and a credible looking leader and a united party.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

On all this in-fighting etc. My understanding of the structure is that it's not just "elect a leader" and then he's all powerful. There's a whole bunch of roles which are elected - deputy as well as leader and then the various NEC folk. They're all elected, too. Now just because Jeremy doesn't agree with them, or vice versa doesn't make them by default wrong.

This is correct. The problem (which addresses the second part of that paragraph) is that although they don't have to agree with him, they should at least make an effort to work with him, which unfortunately they haven't as far as I, and many other members are concerned.

Like it or not this election is turning into a rerun of the EU Referendum.

Vote blue to leave or red to maybe have a rethink.

Similar to the US elections, I'm not sure the mass celebrity bawling over Brexit will do anything other than make even more people vote tory, just in case.

Edited by LakotaDakota

3 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

Doesn't no progressive alliances mean, you know, no progressive alliances?

Labour don't exist to stop the Conservatives, they exist to be in power. 

A simple 'like' isn't enough for this post. The bolded line is it. All that needs to be said. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

This is correct. The problem (which addresses the second part of that paragraph) is that although they don't have to agree with him, they should at least make an effort to work with him, which unfortunately they haven't as far as I, and many other members are concerned.

I think the reverse is also true, whether by intent or incompetence or both. All the hints and threats of deselection, the lack of opposition to bullying, the deliberate rejecting of secret ballots (so that anyone who votes on the NEC in a different way to Corbyn) can be found out and hounded. The bungled appointments to the shadow cabinet, giving 2 people the same job...

2 way street.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Like it or not this election is turning into a rerun of the EU Referendum.

Vote blue to leave or red to maybe have a rethink.

Similar to the US elections, I'm not sure the mass celebrity bawling over Brexit will do anything other than make even more people vote tory, just in case.

Exactly, if you voted to leave then there's only one option really, and as that was 52% of the biggest turnout the UK have ever had explains the massive poll lead.  The remain vote is much more likely to be split, with the added complication for Labour that the Tories seem to be hoovering up a fair amount of Unionists in Scotland making a comeback there even less likely.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Especially when she's running around pretending to be some great strong leader when it's a paper thin facade.

Paper-thin indeed. This is the woman we need at the negotiating table, standing up for Britain under pressure! Hopefully European leaders agree to only ask nice questions and submit all their plans in advance. 

16 minutes ago, blandy said:

Corbyn being a dick again

Similar to the tories, really. Lying, controlling media access and biffing media who report or ask unapproved questions etc.

Sometimes you have to get dirty when wrestling a pig. If he didn't tighten things up you'd be calling him naive.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â