General Election 2017

ender4

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Become like Jez's Labour? I don't think i said that. Not big changes. Perhaps just not attack the pensioners and that is all it may take to earn more votes!

Sadly I think this is right. they'll commit to keeping the triple lock, and that's all it'll take to widen the gap again. 

It's a shame really, I think refusing to protect the triple lock is one of the few things May has done that's right, it's scandalous that pensioners get a minimum of a 2.5% payrise each year while younger generations are getting **** over having to pay for it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, blandy said:

I'm not a Labour "supporter". But even if I was, the information available seems to indicate an increase in Labour support over the period of the election campaign. Yes polling errors, yes other factors such as media bias understating Labour's support maybe....but still, from getting a bit of a shoeing in the local elections, during the period of the campaign to the end result of the national election, their support looks to have gone up.

The YouGov graph should offer some insights, in that it would be enlightening to try and link the steps in the data points with events.

Was it the announcement of May's policies plus a lag while the opposition's criticisms did their damage, or as @HanoiVillan suggested, did YouGov tweak their model?

According to Electoral Calculus the error in the polls was even greater (6%) last time around, when they exaggerated Labour's popularity.

The media blamed Miliband and that became the orthodoxy. 

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Sadly I think this is right. they'll commit to keeping the triple lock, and that's all it'll take to widen the gap again. 

It's a shame really, I think refusing to protect the triple lock is one of the few things May has done that's right, it's scandalous that pensioners get a minimum of a 2.5% payrise each year while younger generations are getting **** over having to pay for it.

You are right. The next Tory leader will commit to keeping the triple lock and that will persuade a number of the grey vote who have voted against May this time to go back to voting blue. 

That is where Labour were smart this time... commit to the triple lock to get the older vote and abolish tuition fees to get the younger vote. 

11 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

did YouGov tweak their model?

Yes, they did, as a i posted earlier - they ran two different models

In this election we have been using two different measuring tools, traditional polling and big data modelling using MRP. We have done this in a commitment to advancing the science of survey research. Our final poll of the campaign shows the Conservatives with a 7 point lead over Labour, which would give them a comfortable majority. Our model has a smaller lead of just 4 points.....

...Elections are becoming more difficult to assess and so, as well as running traditional polls, we are looking at new ways to meet the challenge. We know we run a risk publishing so much data in the heat of a campaign but as data scientists we are committed to innovating, to increase both accuracy and specificity.

It's harder to call now than before.

Labour were perhaps overstretched, and the Tories could indeed claw some ground back?

On the other hand look at the Tories, and who they've got in the wings looking to step up?

I see BoJo the blowjob loving clown just counted himself out. That leaves the mutants and the psychopaths.

Worcester Woman may find the Libs or perhaps (please!) the Greens more palatable?

Edited by Xann
Punctuation. It was missing.
  • Like 1

The only one who seems sensible in the conservatives at the moment is Ruth Davidson - I'm not all that versed on the Scottish MSP system - can she become Tory leader if she's not an MP? I presume it leaves her out of the PM job but she is grounded enough to shout some sense into the floppy conservatives.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

The only one who seems sensible in the conservatives at the moment is Ruth Davidson - I'm not all that versed on the Scottish MSP system - can she become Tory leader if she's not an MP? I presume it leaves her out of the PM job but she is grounded enough to shout some sense into the floppy conservatives.

No not according to tory party rules.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Lets see how it pans out first. I just think it wont be as big a problem as people make out. If wrong I will come on and say sorry. 

I dont know your position on Brexit or vote in the general election but everyone that voted leave and the tories seems to have the same answer and line of thinking.

Oh shit looks like weve **** up, to the people telling us so lets just see how it goes so we dont have to acknowledge the choice and decision weve made. 

Just now, Nicho said:

I dont know your position on Brexit or vote in the general election but everyone that voted leave and the tories seems to have the same answer and line of thinking.

Oh shit looks like weve **** up, to the people telling us so lets just see how it goes so we dont have to acknowledge the choice and decision weve made. 

remain and Labour despite misgivings on both. 

37 minutes ago, peterms said:

Well, I've weighed up the options, and on balance I think I'd rather have peace in NI than your apology.

I think May will be forced out before peace in NI is compromised and we might have another election before the end of the year but hope it doesn't come to the second bit. 

33 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It would certainly be interesting to see how a new tory leader that's in a same sex partnership with a catholic would get on with the DUP overlords.

It would be interesting enough to see how a new tory leader in a same-sex partnership gets on leading a party where over half of the MPs as of a few years ago voted against same sex marriage. :) 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It would be interesting enough to see how a new tory leader gets on leading a party where over half of the MPs as of a few years ago voted against same sex marriage. :) 

Indeed. And both Labour and Tories have 19 gay MPs each (mine is one of them). 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â