General Election 2017

ender4

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

He needs to keep touring the unis,

They break up until October from just about now.

In fact, if you think about it, an election on June 22nd instead of June 8th might have been quite different.

She really was utterly tactically inept.

Yet even now she still thinks she's the best person there is to lead our negotiations 'against' 27 other countries.

11 hours ago, Risso said:

Look at Mansfield. Very epitome of a working class town, ex mining place, and have just elected a Conservative for the first time ever.

With (some minimal) respect to the people of Mansfield, it's a town that is massively anti-immigration and highly racist. The influx of Polish workers (on low wages, hello Sports Direct) has massively fuelled this.

They overwhelmingly supported Brexit and voted heavily for UKIP.  As UKIP collapsed, the vote went to the right-wing.

It's a **** anti-society town.

(Apologies if someone has mentioned this previously, I'm catching up on 7 pages).

The Northern Ireland mess has been waiting to blow up since the EU ref. Hard to believe a prime minister would decide the best course of action in such a situation would be to add more wood to the fire and light the fuse on the TNT.

I wonder if Theresa has any concept of 'legacy'? Because she's giving Cameron and Blair a fight for worst in modern history at the moment. At least those 2 weren't entirely incompetent.

• Like 1

One of the things about being a partisan is that you come to admire certain features of your opponents, even as you dislike them, and one feature of the Tories that I have a sneaking admiration for is their ability to craft a truly excellent back-stabbing. Witness this piece by Nicky Morgan in the Observer, quoted in its entirety for the full effect:

The PM should stay for the time being. But now she must learn to compromise

'I thought no exit poll could be more momentous than the one revealed as polls closed in 2015. I was wrong. Across the country there was a collective gasp on Thursday night as a hung parliament was projected. What does a hung parliament mean for the country, for the Conservative party and for parliament?

I asked my local party members early on Friday morning for their views. After all, they’ve spent the last seven weeks expending their shoe leather and getting drenched in the summer storms. The election result was a crushing blow to them, particularly as they rose so magnificently to the challenge of mounting a campaign with no advance warning. I wanted to know whether they thought the prime minister should stay or go. Most agree with me it is right that Theresa May is given the opportunity to form a government, but that her longer-term future as party leader is much less clear.

This campaign was meant to be about Brexit. We were told as the election was announced that “the country is coming together, but Westminster is still divided”. But the continuing divisions across the country were laid bare in the election result. Those in favour of Brexit remain so, although even they are divided about the type of Brexit they want to see. Whereas those who were against Brexit last year split into those who “accept it is happening, so we’d better make a success of it” and those who wish to keep the issue open.

Much was made in the Conservative campaign of the fact that 11 days after polling day the Brexit negotiations would begin. This is a serious point and for that reason I think Theresa May should remain in office, and she and the Brexit secretary, David Davis, should start the negotiating process. Whether the prime minister is there at the end depends on how she now chooses to govern.

On the steps of Downing Street in July 2016 she talked about “tackling burning injustices”, and the Conservative manifesto rightly identifies five big challenges facing our country. The provision and funding of social care is a very real concern. I think we were right not to duck it, although announcing a detailed plan, without consultation, and then changing a key detail in the midst of the election was clearly unwise. These were judgments made at the very top of my party.

To get Brexit and major policies such as social care funding delivered, the government will now have to build a consensus across the Commons and it will need to compromise – including on Brexit demands as laid out in the Lancaster House speech. The decision to turn our back on the single market without exploring some form of alternative (perhaps Efta membership) is raised too regularly to be ignored any more. Ministers will have to be given permission to build a consensus with MPs from across the political spectrum, rather than just relying on the DUP.

To make this work will require a major change of style and tone as well as substance from a government led by Theresa May. Relying on a narrow group of advisers is no longer an option, and there can be no more “citizens of nowhere”-style attacks that only serve to widen the divisions we desperately need to heal. The prime minister should, instead, look to the rest of her 2016 conference speech where she said “a change has got to come”. This is true. And the change has to come from her.'

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/10/theresa-may-must-compromise-nicky-morgan

• Like 3

On the subject of whether Corbyn could win any more seats than he did this time round - it's easy to forget that as time goes on the old pass and hundreds of thousands of 18-23 year olds become eligible to vote. The difference between the two parties in this election was 700,000 votes. With so many marginals it's not out of the question at all. Whether i'd be confident of that happening is another matter!

15 minutes ago, a m ole said:

On the subject of whether Corbyn could win any more seats than he did this time round - it's easy to forget that as time goes on the old pass and hundreds of thousands of 18-23 year olds become eligible to vote. The difference between the two parties in this election was 700,000 votes. With so many marginals it's not out of the question at all. Whether i'd be confident of that happening is another matter!

And a good number of Tory voters will be dead by the same logic

16 minutes ago, a m ole said:

It was ever thus, a m ole. As people get older many of them move towards conservatism. All the pensioners around now were quite obviously not pensioners 10, 15, 20.... years ago ( as applicable).

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Apparently, Downing Street announced the deal with the DUP by mistake. 

They're an absolute shambles. 

Just waiting for them to claim that about the GE and ask the nation to just forget it ever happened.

Fair play to Fallon for going on Marr and trying to defend their position. More balls than a few others I suspect. 

JC looking like he got woke up with a Sunday morning BJ from the Mrs, that twinkle in his eye is sparkling!! 

Edited by wazzap24

26 minutes ago, blandy said:

... this post probably comes across as mean, or grudging or whatever...

You're definitely calmer than a couple of months ago ;)

On another bright note.

Someone wrote 'Theresa' on the Cerne Abbas Man's cock.

nM1mKyN.jpg

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â