General Election 2017

ender4

17 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

That second table shows more than 40% of the seats won by a majortity of 0.5% or lower were won by Labour. Very close and could easily have gone the other way.

As pointed out by @HanoiVillan, a substantial number (representing 31%) were won by the Tories. Very close and could easily have gone the other way. :)

Edit: And having looked at his table, it's 29 seats, isn't it?

Edited by snowychap

20 minutes ago, snowychap said:

As pointed out by @HanoiVillan, a substantial number (representing 31%) were won by the Tories. Very close and could easily have gone the other way. :)

Edit: And having looked at his table, it's 29 seats, isn't it?

Of the ones I was referring to (0.5% or lower majority) then it is 3/19 so just over 15% for the Tories.

Labour therefore won a higher proportion of the most marginal seats which arguably would be the easiest to win back (but not with May in charge!)

25 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Of the ones I was referring to (0.5% or lower majority) then it is 3/19 so just over 15% for the Tories.

Sorry, I scanned right over the 0.5% bit.

I think you're trying to make a partisan point for the sheer hell of it, though. :)

In fact, having looked at it again, he's got the Kensington one wrong, hasn't he? That should be 0.005%, no?

Edited by snowychap

26 minutes ago, turnbull said:
  • 2 days on and social media is still doing my head in. I didn't realise I had so many facebook friends who were tories, or hypocrites as they're otherwise known.

I think I've got two, out of a hundred-odd. My sister-in-law (who never mentions politics anyway), and one old school mate (he's a nose, too). One other switched from Tories to Labour, this election. The rest are Labour, US Democrats, a couple of Greens, and a few 'unknowns'. Echo chamber, I guess. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Fair enough - there's not a lot of attention here until you get down to the final knockings of the primary's. 

In political terms, Sanders is to the right of Corbyn by a little ways, probably a little nearer the Lib Dems, Hillary is I think a little further right than May - a smaller government, increased defence spending and a continued bonfire of regulations for banks and so on - Trump is basically someone who doesn't believe in government or for that matter democratic process, he's nearer the Koch brothers - I guess that's very far to the right, but it seems a different scale. 

I'm a big Bernie fan - but I think once we got down to the Presidential race, you can't blame the American left from being more than a little frustrated with what was being offered.

That is fair enough - but then the American left has to be better at swaying the vote. Demonstrating, shouting and abusing people for voting for other viewpoints than what they have just makes the whole process inedible for most normal Americans. What Corbyn has done is to engage rather than dismiss and shout - Sanders' supporters should take heed and stop with their constant slagging off of anyone who has different views. It's a sickness of the left to try to box up anyone who has different views to them into racist, capitalist, working class dumb ass, etc boxes. America's "left" (democratic party) need to stop relying on celebrity endorsements and start actually engaging in debate to try to get support widely in the country outside the Atlantic North East and California/Seattle. 

If I was born and raised in Alabama, lived there all my life and worked on minimum wage, and I had someone like Katy Perry or Lena Dunham shouting at me because I was voting for a party that at least tries to engage with the countryside then it wouldn't cause me to vote for the Democrats, rather the opposite.

Edited by magnkarl

When it comes to Brexit she has a working majority of 1 it just occurred to me, as Ken Clarke will vote against just as he did with Article 50. He really just doesn't give a crap anymore about the party whip, he's a hard line remainer and the whips really don't have any sanctions they can take over him, what are they going to do? remove the whip (can't see it), tell him he'll never get on in a conservative government and will have to sit on the back benches for his whole political life (hearty laugh) tell him he'll be deselected? (raucous belly laugh)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Shame? You either run a national political party or you don't. To his credit, Corbyn does. 

The labour party needs more mp's, not unstable alliances with other people's. You don't see the tories just giving up in seats where ukip do well do you? 

The labour party would have had more MPs by standing down where they had no chance, in return for others standing down where the others had no chance, but Labour had half a chance.

But I understand that if you [anyone] is a dyed in the wool labourite, then that wouldn't be what you might want your "team" to do.

Oh well, no quick general election again. However, not much can get done by this new government, just a group of 3 rebel back benchers would block any commons vote. It's all about Brexit, reckon they will swap May after Brexit talks end. 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm pretty dyed in the wool, but as those political quizzes reveal, I have a great deal of affinity with the policies of the Greens, SNP, Plaid Cymru, even the LibDems. Whereas I detest pretty much everything the Tories stand for. My enemy's enemy is my friend, and I've seen the broad left squabble too many times, and hand power to the broad right who always sank their differences in a pragmatic way. So a rainbow alliance gets my vote. 

The 'broad left' 'sinking its differences' would be people who basically want a labour government voting labour, not for somebody else. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The 'broad left' 'sinking its differences' would be people who basically want a labour government voting labour, not for somebody else. 

Actually, it would be all the people who wanted a non-Tory government voting Labour, but the tribal nitpicking won't allow them to do it. 

• Like 1

How do parties that people really support ever get a foothold if people keep voting against their most hated party rather than for the one they really support?

It all just comes back to how broken Britain's supposed 'democracy' really is.

31 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Actually, it would be all the people who wanted a non-Tory government voting Labour, but the tribal nitpicking won't allow them to do it. 

The problem is the likes of Welsh Labour running it's own campaign here and asking Plaid voters to lend their vote and be tactical in opposing the tories. I really really considered doing it myself. Genuinely still considered it, stood in the booth with the pen in my hand.

Then the day after the election, tweeting that they smashed Plaid who's vote shrunk in places Labour unexpectedly won.

Very poor form.

In my constit., 'the left' as total votes would have beaten the tory, and that's with Labour having declined to bother campaigning. Labour reduced a majority of 7,000 to a majority of 2,000 with 3,500 people having voted Plaid / Lib Dem / Womens Equality / Green / Pirate. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â