General Election 2017

ender4

4 minutes ago, Awol said:

Been on the road since 05:45 so sorry for the dumb question but do we have a government yet? Rioting? The undead walking among us? Has May resigned? 

Yes; no; yes; no.

The yesses may be debatable. ;)

So May has said she is forming a government and has asked the queen for permission to do so.

Yet the DUP have just said they are only in talks

Hasn't may broken the accepted protocol here - I thought she needed an agreement before going to see the queen.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

If Abbott does the exact same thing as a number of other MPs, yet Abbott is the constant source of the joke and others aren't, what's the reason?

Could it be sexist, racist, a combination of the 2, or something else I've missed?

I don't doubt that Abbott gets all kinds of abuse from various neanderthals and trolls and all that, but it's hard to think of any senior political figure who so frequently has, um, car-crashed election interviews. There was nothing behind the original VT post of any "-ist" nature.

• Like 4

Just now, hippo said:

So May has said she is forming a government and has asked the queen for permission to do so.

Yet the DUP have just said they are only in talks

Hasn't may broken the accepted protocol here - I thought she needed an agreement before going to see the queen.

I know the Queen doesn't get involved in this kind of thing but shouldn't she refuse to allow May to form the government with a paramilitary party?

Even not formally, she could just say no.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I don't doubt that Abbott gets all kinds of abuse from various neanderthals and trolls and all that, but it's hard to think of any senior political figure who so frequently has, um, car-crashed election interviews. There was nothing behind the original VT post of any "-ist" nature.

OK point taken. I get really uneasy about this kind of thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

I know the Queen doesn't get involved in this kind of thing but shouldn't she refuse to allow May to form the government with a paramilitary party?

My suggestion that she tells May to **** off basically right, then. 

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Nah, the house of commons keeps the queen safe.

3 minutes ago, darrenm said:

What is a genuine alternative, tories have the most seats.

TM: Hi, your madge, can I go ahead and form a government with the proddy loonies from N.I.?

HMQ: Does one have a firm commitment from said proddy loonies?

TM: Well, er, no, not as such, not yet, but, er, I hope to, er....

HMQ: Well one can **** off, then. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

TM: Hi, your madge, can I go ahead and form a government with the proddy loonies from N.I.?

HMQ: Does one have a firm commitment from said proddy loonies?

TM: Well, er, no, not as such, not yet, but, er, I hope to, er....

HMQ: Well one can **** off, then. 

I know your half joking - but thats what TM seems to have done. Gone to the queen without an agreement. Unless she is forming a minority Tory government. But even then I thought Labour had to be given a stab at forming a coalition. (I know that can't work - but its the protocol) 

26 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Would it be ungallant to point out that the female party leaders and front bench candidates have done particularly badly in the election?

May lost 21 seats

Sturgeon lost 20 seats

Lucas's share of the vote went from 3.8% to 0.2%

Abbott couldn't take the pace

May - no argument she did badly. ....But there's more than one way of looking at things - Tory vote % went up, Lucas and Abbott both got much increased votes in their constituencies, the Greens by deliberately standing down candidates in a number of seats to help anti- tory candidates in other parties contributed to the result and perhaps laid a bit of a seed for more of "that sort of thing" in the future? Sturgeon was never going to hold on to the almost complete dominance of SNP in Scotland.

34 minutes ago, peterms said:

A view from the liberal wing of the tory party.

I didn't realise they had used the same campaign manager as Goldsmith. 

That is another utterly hilarious little aside in this story. As is Kensington. 

Today really is the gift that just keeps on giving and I've not even finished work yet.......

:cheers:

22 minutes ago, Awol said:

Been on the road since 05:45 so sorry for the dumb question but do we have a government yet? Rioting? The undead walking among us? Has May resigned? 

They were certainly gathering outside 'spoons earlier on today...then again, they always do

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â