General Election 2017

ender4

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think the answers to those questions are Theresa, Theresa and Theresa.  So much egg on face.  The back benchers will be absolutely fuming.

You see i dont, I really dont see her saying lets try and extend our power and our term by another 18 months by holding a snap election, they had a working functioning government, they had aleast another 3 years to drive Brexit through and come out the other side with or without another election but the downside was losing power completely, losing power figuratively and for her ending her career at the top table.

6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

You see i dont, I really dont see her saying lets try and extend our power and our term by another 18 months by holding a snap election, they had a working functioning government, they had aleast another 3 years to drive Brexit through and come out the other side with or without another election but the downside was losing power completely, losing power figuratively and for her ending her career at the top table.

I also read somewhere why she went for an early election - its thats its all downhill from here, what the Tory's parties reputation be when brexit is actually implemented. The ecomomic cloudstorms are already swirling with inflation on this rise for example.

Edited by hippo

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

ermm didn't you like my post last night when I did an Abbott counting gag ?

(well ok you'd run out of likes , but your post implied it would have been forthcoming)

She's was  just lasts weeks figure of fun as far as I could see , that she's not overly liked by a lot of people ( partly legacy , partly her own comments ) has just meant the meme has gone on a bit longer , plus the fact she then re-appeared just as everyone had forgotten and did the policy equivalent of Redwood singing the Welsh national anthem

next week it will be some over politicians turn  ... May's almost certainly :)  , her skin colour is irrelevant , imo of course

Just asking. 

Yes, I was trying to use inclusive language of likes ;)

i've warmed to Corbyn during this campaign but is there another 60 seats out there for Labour to win? If so, how?

2 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Let Theresa May stay on as PM? ;)

I'd say get rid of Abbott but don't want to appear racist ;)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Anyone have any idea what this is about?

No.

Interesting that he's also reporting that there has been no deal with the DUP and so it's a minority Tory government.

Probably the case that May hasn't spoken to anyone other than the close few around her (those that advised her to call the snap election and so on) and the Queen.

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Because she has been a car crash of a politician for as long as anyone can remember and every faux pas just compounds things?

Its not as though other politicians get an easy ride is it? Is May only getting abuse because she's a woman? Did Gove only get abuse because he looks like a muppet? :)

It is kind of true that... Abbot is flavour of the month for mockery just now.

To not mock her political shortcomings when the likes of May, Milliband, Corbyn, Major, Cameron, Blair etc are similarly treated in similar fashion when the topic is topical, just because she is female... and black would be discriminatory. To 'use the two boxes that she ticks' as a reason not to mock her failings is just as discriminatory as mocking the 'male, pale and stale' rhetoric we've heard over the last 18 months.

XXXX me, even May has openly mocked Corbyn in the Commons. She even besmirched him by pulling a face when she described him a day before the election. She even tried to get the voters to consider him 'naked.' It a male MP had said anything remotely similar, he'd be frogmarched to the resignation paperwork.

The truth of the matter is, Abbott SHOULD be able to teach Corbyn maths, because, as a female, she will have done well at school. Unlike us males who the media will portray as underachieving, drooling numpties.

Just seen... even the DUP seems to be led by a female... and has a female MP. So hardly 'anti-female' per se. Though the anti homosexual bit, and the anti-abortion bit will rankle in mainstream Britain.

• Like 3

Hi [INSERT MP’S NAME HERE],

As one of your constituents, I'm writing to you to express my outrage at the suggestion that your party is prepared to cooperate with the DUP in order to remain in government.

I know that this election result was surprising for all of us, and there is no clear or easy solution without an outright majority for any one party, but I am shocked and appalled that the Conservatives are willing to partner with a party that holds such extreme views that are damaging to so many people.

For instance, despite many absences on your voting record, it shows that you generally support equal rights for the LGBT community, on issues such as same sex marriage amongst others [CHECK THIS HERE: https://www.theyworkforyou.com ].

Here is a list of DUP stances, in case you need a reminder:

• The DUP want to make it legal to discriminate against anyone from the LGBT community

• The DUP want children to be taught creationism as scientific fact

• The DUP want no woman to have access to any type of abortion, and furthermore criminalise anyone offering or seeking that service

• The DUP want to bring back the death penalty

There are many other issues with the DUP, and I am also concerned as to what this alliance would mean for so many Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland citizens (our close allies), especially when entering Brexit negotiations.

Please explain how you intend to oppose this coalition, as it is of immediate concern to myself and many of your constituents.

Thanks,

[YOUR NAME HERE]

Google Docs - "Wow, this file is really popular! Some tools might be unavailable until the crowd clears".

• Like 3

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

No.

Interesting that he's also reporting that there has been no deal with the DUP and so it's a minority Tory government.

Probably the case that May hasn't spoken to anyone other than the close few around her (those that advised her to call the snap election and so on) and the Queen.

Yep basically they have agreed to keep Corbyn out. Nothing more than that. - So any Tory who fancies becoming leader can still have his\her chance. In Theory she can sit there for 5 years but she's going to get the piss taken over every move she makes, day in , day out. If I were her having got that deal in place I would resign.

Labour make gains - That's good!

Tories still in control - That's bad!

May will probably leave - That's good!

Boris favourite to come in - That's bad!

UKIP basically wiped out - That's good!

Farage feels he needs to come back - That's bad!

34 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I agree that Canterbury is a bit of a weird one. However it's a uni town with a big younger population, so if you look at the demographics it's not that weird. I have no answer as to how to swing the tide in an area like Hampshire other than keeping up the good work that Corbyn did at being more mainstream. People down here are put off by extremes, which is why Theresa May has seen a lot of loss of support too. Hell even the most conservative friend I know who owns a big farm outside Alton spoke warmly about Corbyn the other day. Times they are a changin'.

I was reading somewhere that rich older grandparent types in the Home Counties were more likely to vote for Corbyn than they had been for Labour in the past . . . I can't remember the exact argument, but it was something like the dementia tax, plus feeling that their grandkids would be better off without student debt, and that this had mellowed out some of the anti-Corbyn types. It is notable that Labour had good swings in the South East and South West - normally pretty barren ground. 

19 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I think it's exactly what happened.  To be fair, calling a snap election isn't really the biggest mistake.  She did inherit the PM role and going into Brexit negotiations with a personal mandate instead is a reasonable thing to do, and obviously doing it when the polls were so favourable would kill two birds with one stone.  Somehow she seems to have got some God complex and thought that normal campaigning practice didn't really apply to her and my word has she buggered it up.  Trying to create some sort of cult of personality when she basically has no personality, being lazy, ill-tempered, giving absolutely nothing positive in the manifesto (even George Osborne would always chuck in the odd freebie when he was blasting people in the ass).  There is no way that manifesto was discussed by the whole cabinet.  Losing the majority is all on her.  Credit to Corbyn too, obviously.

• Like 2

Sent that email to Fabricant.

He has a strong record on LGBT rights to be fair to him, and although he's a Tory rocket polisher, he's a decent local MP.

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

She did inherit the PM role

I basically agree with a lot of your post, but I must stress that she didn't 'inherit' this - this is her job and she very much wanted it. 

No sympathy here. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â