Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

1 hour ago, Xann said:

This is what we should have had in service now instead of paying for the US R&D, then through the nose for each F-35.

When our own plane arrives, drones may well be the kings of the air? They're not so bothered by extreme g forces and will stupid manoeuvrable compared to anything manned. 

We're just starting on this aircraft, and really it's the next ones that should be at the concept stage. They would be fairly fluid concepts too because drone warfare development is in overdrive.

We started on it in 2018 if my memory serves me. I know this because I was involved. It’s also the case that the timescale was hit by Covid and then by (you’re right) the then Government and funding. The current government may even can it, or delay (extend the timescale again) it, again over funding issues and the state the Tories left the country in. There are all kinds of concepts for the next one(s). And yes they are fluid for the reasons you suggest.  The Tories also canned several UAV programs, including a joint UK French one (which I also worked on) and some UK only ones (ditto). They kept the UK capability alive by a program called Pyramid (Tikal), but basically keeping it (our capability) on life support, rather than seeing anything through has been a massive mistake, in my view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 19.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

We started on it in 201/18 if my memory serves me. I know this because I was involved. It’s also the case that the timescale was hit by Covid and then by (you’re right) the then Government and funding. The current government may even can it, or delay (extend the timescale again)...

It's all systems go again, as of this week.

The very nature of warfare is that the enemy is unlikely to engage in a method for which you are well prepared.  

Russia isn't going to attack over land with conventional forces.  They have lost too many men and equipment.  

Russia isn’t going to attack us with airpower.  NATO outnumbers and outguns Russia. 

Russia's surface navy is similarly outnumbered and outgunned.  

The threat will come from supporting criminals/terrorists with cash and weapons and encouraging extremists. 

That's the threat we need to address now whilst also building a stronger NATO that isn't so reliant upon the USA for the potential threat of a rebuilt Russian army in 2035. 

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Spelling mishsteaks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xann said:

It's all systems go again, as of this week.

We'll see what happens when the Strategic Defence Review reports next year, but they've already cut the budget..

I see Putin's puppet has rigged the election in Georgia, similar to what happens in Belarus (and probably Hungary too). Shame nobody notices or seems to do anything about Russian interference in other countries. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â