Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

19 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Ukrainians are great innovators, soon their own long range weapons will be striking deep into russia.

This one has already been used AFAIK. It hit that airfield in Stalingrad (Volgograd).

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

Man portable air defence systems. Basically a rocket one soldier can fire at aircraft. The rocket has a homing system to track the aircraft and hit it. 

Five left....

Makes you wonder if it would just be easier to let Ukraine fire missiles into Russia instead of sending them planes that are extremely difficult to maintain and have limited value. 

Edited by villa89

25 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Seems like a waste. Why aren't they use offensively?

Conjecture on my part.

The attrition rate is unattractive for a resource that keeps Russian aviation honest simply by existing, and also provides a swift response to attempted Russian breakthroughs and unexpected attacks on lesser defended areas. It is a very long front.

6 hours ago, Xann said:

Conjecture on my part.

The attrition rate is unattractive for a resource that keeps Russian aviation honest simply by existing, and also provides a swift response to attempted Russian breakthroughs and unexpected attacks on lesser defended areas. It is a very long front.

They are also very difficult machines to operate and the pilots have only had an express training course rather than years of combat experience. The plane that crashed was due to pilot error, the pilots are all rookies. It would be too big a loss to risk them on more dangerous combat missions.

Also radar. The F16 has a good radar that can detect cruise missiles, which are hard to detect otherwise. 

If VT had anyone who knows about this stuff, that would be great. I wonder if @blandy can think of anyone.

8 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Also radar. The F16 has a good radar that can detect cruise missiles, which are hard to detect otherwise. 

If VT had anyone who knows about this stuff, that would be great. I wonder if @blandy can think of anyone.

I don’t know which versions of F16s were given to Ukraine, but suspect they would have been older ones. The thing is jets get various mid life upgrades and capability enhancements and such like over time and radar is one of those areas where new techniques and new technology have led to big jumps in capability in recent years. Another area is the cockpit itself where modern jets have 2 or 3 big iPad type displays and the pilots helmet has built in display on the visor, compared to the old style analogue instruments and CRT displays.

So how good the Ukraine F16s actually are is dependent on how much they’ve been upgraded over time and when they came off the production line.  I doubt though that they’ll be the latest versions with all the tech the USAF versions have - AESA Radar, active cockpits and all that jazz. They’ll probably be mechanically scanned array radar, and 1990s or early 2000s style cockpits - likely better than ancient soviet jets by a distance, but quite a bit down on what some nations have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I don’t know which versions of F16s were given to Ukraine, but suspect they would have been older ones. The thing is jets get various mid life upgrades and capability enhancements and such like over time and radar is one of those areas where new techniques and new technology have led to big jumps in capability in recent years. Another area is the cockpit itself where modern jets have 2 or 3 big iPad type displays and the pilots helmet has built in display on the visor, compared to the old style analogue instruments and CRT displays.

So how good the Ukraine F16s actually are is dependent on how much they’ve been upgraded over time and when they came off the production line.  I doubt though that they’ll be the latest versions with all the tech the USAF versions have - AESA Radar, active cockpits and all that jazz. They’ll probably be mechanically scanned array radar, and 1990s or early 2000s style cockpits - likely better than ancient soviet jets by a distance, but quite a bit down on what some nations have.

Those donating the jets have to balance wanting to help as much as possible with the risk the jets might end up in the hands of the Russians to steal all the tech.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â