Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

23 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think they need to do more damage inside Russia than they are at the moment. Take out more bridges, train tracks, electricity substations. They also need air superiority and probably NATO support for air defences. 

Difficult to do when they can only use their own produced weapons to hit targets within Russia, as Western nations won't let them use the big weapons inside Russia. Drones aren't strong enough to take out a bridge.

It's amazing how long they've held on fighting with one arm tied behind their back

• Like 2

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

5 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Difficult to do when they can only use their own produced weapons to hit targets within Russia, as Western nations won't let them use the big weapons inside Russia. Drones aren't strong enough to take out a bridge.

It's amazing how long they've held on fighting with one arm tied behind their back

The UK has said they can use our supplied weapons inside of Russia if the choose.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

The UK has said they can use our supplied weapons inside of Russia if the choose.

Don't let that spoil the narrative. 

Oh yeah, quite a choice that Ukraine has there - the US have told them they’ll stop giving them military aid if they use ANY Western weapons for long range strikes inside Russia.

(the UK has also made contradictory statements about whether we’ve given permission for Storm Shadow strikes in Russia itself anyway)

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s all very quiet on the potential Russian response to Ukraines incursion. Are they hoping Ukraine just get bored and return home?

You mean apart from the billion dollar drone strikes they've made the last two days.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

You mean apart from the billion dollar drone strikes they've made the last two days.

They are on targets in Ukraine aren’t they? Normal business to a degree. I’m talking about trying to reclaim the region now occupied by Ukraine.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

They are on targets in Ukraine aren’t they? Normal business to a degree. I’m talking about trying to reclaim the region now occupied by Ukraine.

The last two nights have been massive compared to recent drone / missile attacks.

But troops are reportedly on the move but it will take them a fair amount of time to move around. Also I think I read somewhere that Russia were digging a trench line 45 kms away from where Ukraine currently is but hey what do I know, could also all be bollocks.

• Like 2

I recall an interesting story from WW2 when Russia invaded Finland.  

Finland (like Ukraine) were outnumbered and outgunned.  But they fought a brilliant campaign. 

One of the most novel tactics was using special forces to target Russian catering trucks.  Portable kitchens weren't easy to replace and it forced Russia to supply cold food to their troops.  

The genius Russians lit fires to heat their food. The smoke gave away their positions. 

An army marches on its stomach and it's not just troops that need moving into Kursk.  It's food, fuel, medical supplies, tents, catering equipment, ammunition, tents etc.  

I hope Ukraine has used this time to place special forces behind the Russian lines.  

• Like 1

Russia must be desperate for soldiers

A Russian murderer who was released from prison to fight in the war in Ukraine, only to then kill an elderly woman, has been released a second time to return to the front, according to relatives of the woman.

“Grandma’s killer has escaped punishment for his crime – again – and has gone to fight in the war,” Anna Pekareva, the granddaughter of Yulia Byuskikh, told the BBC.

In 2022, Ivan Rossomakhin was released from prison, where he was serving a 14-year prison sentence for murder, to join the Wagner mercenary group.

He was later allowed to return home to the district of Vyatskiye Polyany in Russia’s Kirov Region. There, he attacked and killed 85-year-old Yulia in her own house.

The killing was one of several committed by criminals who had been released from prisons all over Russia to join the Wagner group.

link

There’s clearly no medium or long term planning going on.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Russia must be desperate for soldiers

link

There’s clearly no medium or long term planning going on.

Prisoners are the ultimate cannon fodder for Russia. Russia is sending them to war hoping they die. 

9 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Oh yeah, quite a choice that Ukraine has there - the US have told them they’ll stop giving them military aid if they use ANY Western weapons for long range strikes inside Russia.

(the UK has also made contradictory statements about whether we’ve given permission for Storm Shadow strikes in Russia itself anyway)

I think the UK has said that they give permission to use Storm Shadow, but the problem is that Storm Shadow isn’t a UK only enterprise - there is some French and USA involvement in that project and they haven’t given permission to use them.  So even with UK permission, they can’t be used in Russia.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â