• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

So Putin has apologised to Israel. I bet you would have needed a crowbar to unclench his teeth. 

I hope they send the weapons to Ukraine regardless - the only reason Putin has done this is to try and avoid that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

So Putin has apologised to Israel. I bet you would have needed a crowbar to unclench his teeth. 

Or apologised to stop Israel pumping all those weapons they have into Ukraine to kill Russians. Wise choice.  

On another note....phew,,

22 hours ago, Awol said:

I’ve always said if the Argentine Junta had simply refused Thatcher’s order to invade the Falklands they’d still be around today.

Even more humourously, Thatcher was willing to cede full sovereignty to Argentina if the islanders agreed. Argentina would also gain representation on local councils.  She got lucky with the War - its winning saved her administration and prevented the public from knowing what she was willing to give away behind the scenes.

@Panto_Villan I just thought I'd follow up on your claim that Western artillery won't be at an advantage when it comes to firing distances. Yes they will. Where did you get the impression that they won't? The below graphic shows raw firing distances, and that is before you add in Western tech to guide munitions, excaliber rounds, counter radar etc.

Business Ukraine mag on Twitter: "Useful infographic illustrating how  arriving Western artillery systems can help Ukraine out-range Russia's big  guns https://t.co/ek4QFDxptO" / Twitter

Edited by magnkarl

Russian Navy warship Admiral Makarov reportedly sunk by Ukrainian missiles

According to information released by the Ukrainian Ministry of Defence, the Russian frigate ‘Admiral Makarov’, which was believed to be at the Sevastopol naval base, was hit and sunk by Ukrainian Neptune missiles – the same ones that sunk the Russian flagship missile cruiser Moskva in the Black Sea, off the coast of Ukraine, on April 14.

Rumours circulating on social media suggest the missile-frigate Admiral Makarov, which is the third, last and most modern vessel in her class, is an important asset to Russian war efforts and if sunk would be a huge blow to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

https://euroweeklynews.com/2022/05/06/russian-navy-warship-admiral-makarov-reportedly-sunk-by-ukrainian-missiles/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peterw said:

Even more humourously, Thatcher was willing to cede full sovereignty to Argentina if the islanders agreed. Argentina would also gain representation on local councils.  She got lucky with the War - its winning saved her administration and prevented the public from knowing what she was willing to give away behind the scenes.

If my aunt had balls etc…

In my constant attempt to keep the languages I speak maintained I like to watch and read different news outlets a couple of times a week. Yesterday I watched DW in German, and they had some Putin stooge from Stop the War Coalition on to debate about whether Crimea had always been Russian and hence it was NATO's fault that Putin illegally had to invade Ukraine.

He argued that ever since one of Peter the Great's generals set their sights on the natural harbour of Sevastopol that it'd always be Russian. The other people in the debate took about two minutes to completely dismantle this guy (he reminded me of Galloway) by saying such things as 'We once owned Russia all the way up to Moscow, should we just occupy that area?', 'The Turks also owned much of the Balkans, Crimea, Ukraine etc, maybe they should also just illegally occupy them?'

How can anyone be a part of a group that has such clear ties to Russia and still call themselves 'anti-war', it's bloody beyond me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

@Panto_Villan I just thought I'd follow up on your claim that Western artillery won't be at an advantage when it comes to firing distances. Yes they will. Where did you get the impression that they won't? The below graphic shows raw firing distances, and that is before you add in Western tech to guide munitions, excaliber rounds, counter radar etc.

Business Ukraine mag on Twitter: "Useful infographic illustrating how  arriving Western artillery systems can help Ukraine out-range Russia's big  guns https://t.co/ek4QFDxptO" / Twitter

Apologies for not replying to your previous post, I've been very busy recently. So I was talking about the M777 specifically here as the CEASAR transfers hadn't been announced at the time.

Turns out I was just looking at the specs for the M107 ammo, which was the older type of ammo for that gun. That only has a range of 15 miles, which is less than all the comparable Russian systems. However the new standard ammo for the M777 is the M795 which is rocket assisted and can fire 23 miles, which outranges the Russian howitzers. If we're making the assumption that the US is sending the good stuff rather than using up their older stocks, then yeah the NATO stuff is longer ranged than the comparable Russian howitzer systems.

Nonetheless the image above is a bit misleading because they've included only the short-range Russian rocket artillery (TOS-1) while leaving off the longer-ranged rocket artillery like the Grad or the Uragan which does still outrange the M777 even with the best ammo. Not saying the howitzer is not the superior option militarily, just that graph is deliberately cherry-picking data.

More and more places reporting this now.

Do Russian ships not have ANY missile defence systems?

I mean, the first time you could put it down to complacency and over confidence.  But now surely all their ships are on high alert and in a state of readiness for missile strikes?  This is their most modern warship.

Questions questions.

Edited by sidcow

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â