Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

Interesting that the Gremlin are now saying they've uncovered evidence of US assisting the Ukraine to create chemical and biological weapons. Surely if the US had been doing anything these would have been the first places to be destroyed as evidence cleaning. I don't buy it.  

I don't buy anything that the Russians say

• Like 2

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

9 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Interesting that the Gremlin are now saying they've uncovered evidence of US assisting the Ukraine to create chemical and biological weapons. Surely if the US had been doing anything these would have been the first places to be destroyed as evidence cleaning. I don't buy it.  

"If they told you wolverines would make good house pets, would you believe them?"

Del Griffith

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't buy anything that the Russians say

I'm not sure I buy anything either side says. The sunk Russian warship? The dead Russian general? Nothing on the UK TV news last night about either. 

• Like 1

The numbers, bar maybe the troops, seem fairly legit.

I wonder how many operational tanks and personnel carriers Putin actually has at his disposal? It's turning into a hell of a lot of scrap metal to rebuild Ukraine with.

Edited by magnkarl

9 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

The numbers, bar maybe the troops, seem fairly legit.

I wonder how many operational tanks and personnel carriers Putin actually has at his disposal? It's turning into a hell of a lot of scrap metal to rebuild Ukraine with.

According to Google, Russia has 12,400 tanks, 30,100 armoured vehicles and 6,600 artillery.

So if that above graphic is correct, Russia has only lost 2% of their tanks, 3% of their armoured vehicles and 2% of their artillery.  Basically they still have their whole army intact.

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not sure I buy anything either side says. The sunk Russian warship? The dead Russian general? Nothing on the UK TV news last night about either. 

X 4, so far. Editorial teams probably think it’s not the sort of tactical detail the great British public really want. 

There was phot/video of a ship burning off Odessa but not close up, so sinking claims can’t be confirmed (AFAIK).

I’m with you that loss rates will be exaggerated / understated to suit the claimant, but on balance the Russians are trading v significant volumes of equipment and men for some farmland, bypassed towns and the odd strategically significant bit of infrastructure (nuclear power station, for example). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Both confirmed by independent sources now

The UK TV News is reporting this in a really different way to online sources. Places like Bellingcat are verifying a lot of the claims, in fact they were the ones that verified the General one (see up thread for how it was discovered)

If you only get the news from BBC / ITV etc you'd think Russian forces have the upper hand, it really isn't the case. They aren't reporting it very well at all 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Awol said:

I’m with you that loss rates will be exaggerated / understated to suit the claimant, but on balance the Russians are trading v significant volumes of equipment and men for some farmland, bypassed towns and the odd strategically significant bit of infrastructure (nuclear power station, for example). 

Though from a Russian viewpoint, they might be thinking they've only lost 2% of their equipment and a few thousand kids that they don't give shit about for 10% of Ukraine's territory.

Just now, bickster said:

If you only get the news from BBC / ITV etc you'd think Russian forces have the upper hand, it really isn't the case. They aren't reporting it very well at all 

I wonder why? 

55 minutes ago, bickster said:

McDonalds, no matter what we think of them here, is massively symbolic of the opening up of Russia to the freedoms of the west

When McDs opened their first branch in Moscow it made headlines all around the world, it was on the evening news in the UK. It really is up there with Levi jeans which were used as blackmarket currency during the Soviet years. Both of those brands pulling out of Russia is more than just an economic message. It's hugely symbolic, it's telling the Russian people, you are going back to the dark days, days an awful lot of them have never experienced

OT - there is an episode in the New Statesman written about that time where Alan B'Stard gets sent to a Siberian Gulag  and  joins a queue for a McDonalds that is due to open in about 3 years time , commentary on just how big an event that McDonalds in Russia was at the time

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well yes, there is propaganda on both sides for sure.  But on a sliding scale of 100 to zero in believability Russia is on a zero so big and fat Barry Austin would feel sorry for it.

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Though from a Russian viewpoint, they might be thinking they've only lost 2% of their equipment and a few thousand kids that they don't give shit about for 10% of Ukraine's territory.

Land doesn’t fight, people do. To ‘win’ they need to defeat the Ukrainian armed forces and the insurgency that would follow Russian occupation. The more land they occupy, the more dispersed their combat forces are, the longer and more exposed their lines of communication become, the more vulnerable they are to Ukrainian action.

Also, they are losing their ‘good’ kit at an unsustainable rate. Those big numbers of tanks and APCs are because the Russians never throw anything away. The 1000’s of T-55s they have in storage are mobile coffins, if they could even be made roadworthy and conscripts trained to use them. 

Russia’s true strength is in the massed fires of its artillery, but if their enemy won’t obediently line up together to be exterminated then it’s not much use. That’s why Russia has turned in the Ukrainian people instead, it’s a target they can kill.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Also, they are losing their ‘good’ kit at an unsustainable rate. Those big numbers of tanks and APCs are because the Russians never throw anything away. The 1000’s of T-55s they have in storage are mobile coffins, if they could even be made roadworthy and conscripts trained to use them. 

from my trips to the Tank Museum with the boy when he was younger , the Uk tanks seem to have Trophy APS fitted along with upgraded armour , the Israelis first had  these on their Merkava tanks and it stood the test of live fire situations , hence the Uk decision to upgrade 

From what I can see online , it appears the vast majority of Russian tanks don't have such a  thing , hence the apparent ease with which they can be destroyed 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ender4 said:

According to Google, Russia has 12,400 tanks, 30,100 armoured vehicles and 6,600 artillery.

So if that above graphic is correct, Russia has only lost 2% of their tanks, 3% of their armoured vehicles and 2% of their artillery.  Basically they still have their whole army intact.

The figures you quote include obsolete Soviet tanks, storage and so on. Hence I said “operational”. At the moment Russia is shipping ladas from 1972 as personnel transports, so I very much doubt the official peopaganda figures from Google.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Russias entire standing ground army is 280,000. Between 150 - 200,000 have been thrown at Ukraine already. They could have 50,000 tanks in reserve, they still wouldn't have the manpower to drive them

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â