Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’ll be seen possibly as the straw that breaks the back.

Yes, a lot of stuff is happening in the shadows but Poland transferring jets to the US just to transfer them to Ukraine is a step up and I expect will be seen as an escalation.

Then what? Is Putin going to attack the US, declare war when 75% of his army’s available combat power is fighting in Ukraine? I’m not in favour of the loose no-fly zone talk, but the psychological effect of these jets is as much to intimidate Moscow and let them know we are not intimidated, as it is to materially aid Ukraine. It’s strategic communication and Biden has fumbled this badly, imo. 

Edited by Awol

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

5 minutes ago, Awol said:

Then what? Is Putin going to attack the US, declare war when 75% of his army’s available combat power is fighting in Ukraine? I’m not in favour of the loose no-fly zone talk, but the psychological effect of these jets is as much to intimidate Moscow and let them know we are not intimidated, as it is to materially aid Ukraine. It’s strategic communication and Biden has fumbled this badly, imo. 

He might attack Poland, and then it’s full fat WW3.

Maybe in the scheme of things, if they think Russia is a wounded animal and they won’t dust off the nukes then it’ll bring it to a head quickly which could all be part of the plan.

Maybe being so public about it is also part of the plan, put the ball back into Putin’s court to see what he does, if anything. 

Edited by Genie

12 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

again-there-you-go-again.gif

The thing is NATO aircraft will be/are equipped with particular systems which allow NATO member pilots to all operate and communicate and identify and integrate into airspace without shooting each other and able to pass data securely between them. All the equipment that does that would have to be removed, both because Ukrainian pilots have no trains on it and because NATO does not want any of it falling into Putin’s hands. What we’re talking about, here, then, is potentially removing radios, communication systems, crypto management, transponders…

All that can be done, but the transfer isn’t just like “here’s my car and here’s the keys, off you go”.  It’s more like “here’s my car, I’ve removed the radio, the Satnav, started converting it from left hand drive to right hand drive, you’ll need to finish that…”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

The amount of pisstaking of Russia's fumbled invasion is quality humour.

I think the clicp of the Ukrainian at the UN telling the London based Russian diplomates who re-tweeted Lavrov's reason for the war, he told him that in the UK you can call "111" for mental health care was class.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sne said:

No more McJeltsins for the Russians. They might be better off after this one if I'm honest.

Tbh if I was Russian, I'd be seeing this as positive

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

McDonalds, no matter what we think of them here, is massively symbolic of the opening up of Russia to the freedoms of the west

When McDs opened their first branch in Moscow it made headlines all around the world, it was on the evening news in the UK. It really is up there with Levi jeans which were used as blackmarket currency during the Soviet years. Both of those brands pulling out of Russia is more than just ab economic message. It's hugely symbolic, it's telling the Russian people, you are going back to the dark days, days an awful lot of them have never experienced

Yeah, I am aware of its significance in a cultural context as regards Russia. I just hate the place.

• Like 1

Just now, sparrow1988 said:

Yeah, I am aware of its significance in a cultural context as regards Russia. I just hate the place.

me too but I think here it needs to be viewed in its wider context

• Like 1

Anyone want to be a private military agent in Ukraine?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60669763

Screenshot of job ad

Wanted: multilingual former soldiers willing to covertly head into Ukraine for the handsome sum of up to $2,000 (£1,523) per day - plus bonus - to help rescue families from an increasingly grim conflict.

It sounds ripped from the script of an action movie, but the job advert is real - taken from an employment website, Silent Professionals, for those working in the private military and security industry.

And, insiders say, demand is growing. Amid a gut-wrenching war in Ukraine, US and European private contractors say they are increasingly eying opportunities, ranging from 'extraction' missions to helping with logistics.

There is "a frenzy in the market" for private contractors in Ukraine today, said Robert Young Pelton, a Canadian American author and expert on private military companies (PMCs).

But the demand for paid security workers - many of them former soldiers with ability to fight and kill - in the midst of a war leaves plenty of room for mistakes, and the potential for bedlam.

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

me too but I think here it needs to be viewed in its wider context

Yep I agree. Coca-cola pulled their operations in Russia as well. That's another big one culturally similar to McDonalds.

• Like 1

Thought this vid was interesting because it’s put out by official Russian MoD channels, and includes a vehicle flying the Soviet flag.  There’s been lots of examples of that during this invasion but it’s the first time I’ve seen Russian government sources promoting it. 

Interesting that the Gremlin are now saying they've uncovered evidence of US assisting the Ukraine to create chemical and biological weapons. Surely if the US had been doing anything these would have been the first places to be destroyed as evidence cleaning. I don't buy it.  

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

Thought this vid was interesting because it’s put out by official Russian MoD channels, and includes a vehicle flying the Soviet flag.  There’s been lots of examples of that during this invasion but it’s the first time I’ve seen Russian government sources promoting it. 

This is enough to suggest what they really want. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â