Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

36 minutes ago, hippo said:

Who blinks first.....I don't see the west sanctions holding - as soon as hostilities cease govt and business will go creeping back...

Any plans for Western governments to increase defence spending will soon be swept under the carpet as elections draw near and tax cuts need to be promised.

I'm not so sure. I think this has been a really big wake up call. 

But if a completely different regime was in charge? Maybe, who knows. 

I do think the West will accelerate mining away from fossil fuels though. 

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

57 minutes ago, Awol said:

Russia trying to frame future European security architecture as a bilateral issue between Washington and Moscow, denying the agency of European states.

That approach has succeeded historically but is unlikely to fly again now, whichever side tries it - unless Germany’s epiphany on Defence was just a cynical ploy to distract from its reprehensible behaviour towards Ukraine. 

Oddly enough, and it's something that's probably important in the psyche of the Russians to this war - it's a concept that's unlikely to fly because Russia no longer really qualifies as a world power - this war is becoming a stark demonstration of that - other than its nuclear capacity it has no real ability to wield influence - they're India with more bombs and a significantly worse economy. Washington no longer has to care as much as it did about the actions of the Russian state - they can deal with the owners, not the operators.

What will be interesting isn't what will happen to Ukraine - I think ultimately Ukraine will emerge either as an independent or Westernised nation within the global economic structure - it's what will happen to Russia that's interesting.

It's hard to see a future for the Russian people that's not a complete mess, that's not horribly difficult to live under. I think we'll see the military power, including its nuclear capabilities curtailed, we may see further breakout states, the stripping out of natural resources in a way that we've only seen historically in Africa, and the potential for a Russian refugee crisis as they look to better lives elsewhere.

In a peculiar way, their decades old fear of falling victim of global Western capitalism may be about to appear - and at their own hand, by their own people and with their own money. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, hippo said:

Who blinks first.....I don't see the west sanctions holding - as soon as hostilities cease govt and business will go creeping back...

I don't think they will go creeping back - that's not how it works anymore. 

The sanctions will bring damage, the damage will bring chaos and the chaos will bring opportunity.

Western banks won't go back to trading normally with Russian gas and oil companies, they'll go forward as the owners of former Russian gas and oil companies. 

Break it, buy it cheap, fix it, make money.

From this map which was current this morning, Russia is trying to batter its way through the Kyiv suburb of Irpin with element of three Airborne Divisions and an Airborne Brigade (collectively abbreviated as VDV if you’re reading Twitter etc.).

That’s really the cream of Russia’s army and this is not how they are supposed to be employed, but it shows 1) how hard Ukrainians are resisting, and 2) the pressure on the Russian command to make progress (they’re not making progress right now though).

AA645967-F4B9-4D79-AA4B-0850A5CE1B01.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Once again, noises out of Russia along the lines of “can’t we all just get along?”

Was it Mars Attacks the aliens say we come in peace while shooting everything up. Maybe this is the Russian inspiration 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sidcow said:

tenor.gif

It did cool tensions for a period following significant tension with Stalin, but the arms race continued culminating in the Berlin Crisis (thankfully a wall is better than a war) and the Cuban Missile Crisis. Neither side were truly committed to it - the USA continued to fly spy planes over soviet airspace which resulted in Gary Powers bring shot down and the USSR crushed the 1956 Hungarian Uprising. 
I do take your point that ultimately there was no nuclear Holocaust, but peaceful coexistence was in many respects a facade. Detente in the 70s was the same. 

22 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

There it is.  We've finally found it. The weirdest flex in VillaTalk history. Bravo sir. 🏆

In all fairness I've read stuff on here I've thought much weirder than that 😂

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

In all fairness I've read stuff on here I've thought much weirder than that 😂

Ah, the words of a man who's stumbled across Voinjama's old posts.

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Back on-topic; this whole debacle effectively means I can't wear my ¡Forward, Russia! band tee anymore.  THANKS PUTIN. :mellow:

Here's your replacement.

fckptn_sq__40929.1646639744.jpg?c=2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â