• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

I thought that LinkedIn was a work/career thing?

It used to be.

Nowadays it’s full of arseholes posting made up shit for likes.

Its basically become a shite Facebook, if such a thing can even exist.

• Like 3

I'm so glad the Russians balls this up. Imagine how terrifying it would have been if Russia was as good as we thought they were, and they blitzed Ukraine in 3 days, and beginning a new cold war. Instead it's almost weakened Russia into irrelevance

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

I'm so glad the Russians balls this up. Imagine how terrifying it would have been if Russia was as good as we thought they were, and they blitzed Ukraine in 3 days, and beginning a new cold war. Instead it's almost weakened Russia into irrelevance

They'll still take over Ukraine at some point sooner or later, and then be fighting an insurgency for the next 10 years.

And there will be a cold war border with the rest of Europe at least till Putin dies and probably longer.

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Didn't that Snake Island thing turn out to be fake?

I think the attack on the island happened , its just the outcome that seems to be ambiguous 

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

its just the outcome that seems to be ambiguous

The soldiers turned up four days later in Russian custody. The only ambiguity is between the words surrendered and captured

2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

They should probably be saving that anti-sea system for beaching crafts though. As Russia can't resupply this navy due to Turkey they won't be able to continue forever. The more they pick off the better..

Can they not just resupply their navy from their ports on the Black Sea and the Sea of Azoz? 

I can see how the closing off of the route through Turkey traps them in, but they have a coastline with ports - surely they can still resupply (if they've got anything left).

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

If the aim was to try and become a pariah state whilst uniting the EU and NATO, then it is job well done for Putin.

There must be an awful lot of Russian capitalists getting seriously pissed off with him. 

• Like 1

I don't put it past cynical market forces to quietly forget about the land grab in a couple of years, so perhaps the long game is what's at stake here. When this quietens down we'll all breath a sigh of relief and look forward to a period without an existential crisis - and in doing so, also to some extent, put what's happened to the back of our minds. I mean who doesn't flick the channel when the charity ad comes on? I honestly hope the EU and US diversion toward other sources of oil continues without interference (Trump reelected anyone?) - that seems to be the only sanction that has long term ability to correct Russia's course.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

On the operational level, the corruption in defense procurement has also likely undermined logistics, manifesting in soldiers receiving inadequate equipment and supplies on the ground. Poor logistics slows down the advancement of troops, undermines their morale and hinders military effectiveness. 

Uncomfortable parallels with the Brexit PM's response to Covid.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ender4 said:

They'll still take over Ukraine at some point sooner or later, and then be fighting an insurgency for the next 10 years.

And there will be a cold war border with the rest of Europe at least till Putin dies and probably longer.

I'm really not sure anymore. They're costs for this aggression will sting for years and they're still getting bloodied all over Ukraine. The Ukrainians are never going to give up, that much is certain and I'm doubtful the Russians can hold anything long term other than the south around crimea. I think this has been the biggest cock up in Putins reign and has shown him for what he really is. All that KGB and military background, years of preparation and your army is a shit show. Must hurt. 

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

I'm really not sure anymore. They're costs for this aggression will sting for years and they're still getting bloodied all over Ukraine. The Ukrainians are never going to give up, that much is certain and I'm doubtful the Russians can hold anything long term other than the south around crimea. I think this has been the biggest cock up in Putins reign and has shown him for what he really is. All that KGB and military background, years of preparation and your army is a shit show. Must hurt. 

Its one thing taking on Chechnya, Georgia, or even parks of Ukraine. Invading the whole country was nuts. I hope the Russian military realise this quicker than Putin.

Just now, avfc1982am said:

The thing is that Russia has a $650 Billion foreign reserves warchest and is adding another few billion to it every month from selling gas & oil. 

They'll be buying Chinese military equipment as fast as it gets blown up. And the new stuff will be better than all the current old rubbish stuck on a highway north of Kyiv.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

The soldiers turned up four days later in Russian custody. The only ambiguity is between the words surrendered and captured

well No , not really  , having followed it ,it was a the time ambiguous and still is 

Ukrainian officials referred to 13 soldiers , representing the entirety of the Ukrainian military presence on the island ,saying contact had been lost . Zelensky later referenced them as all being killed heroically and said they would  be posthumously awarded the title of Hero of Ukraine  ... 4 days later the Russians said  they captured 82 from that island  , where as we were told 13  by Ukraine .

Initially I don't think anyone believed the Russians when they said they had surrendered and weren't killed  ( with good reason tbf)  , but The Ukrainians have since verified that they are alive .

so its still a little ambigious 

interestingly , the very tweet of those soldiers someone posted on here ,  if one scrolled through the comments , it was commented hours after the event that they were in fact alive and had surrendered , take into account this this was 4 days before the Russians officially announced it and whilst the world was still hailing them as dead heroes ( I'm not decrying the soldiers , just outlining events)   

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

The thing is that Russia has a $650 Billion foreign reserves warchest and is adding another few billion to it every month from selling gas & oil. 

They'll be buying Chinese military equipment as fast as it gets blown up. And the new stuff will be better than all the current old rubbish stuck on a highway north of Kyiv.

$650 billion that they cannot fully access....Also if you think China are going to send all they're hardware to Russia I think your mistaken. And then there is the logistical element to consider, After 2 weeks they've managed to consolidate forces in one City. Nothing is yet certain imo. A week ago I would have been certain Russia would swamp the Ukraine but even having the air superiority, far more artillery and personnel they are in a quagmire. How long this is sustainable for them I'm not sure.  

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

4 days later the Russians said  they captured 82 from that island  , where as we were told 13  by Ukraine .

That has been cleared up now, the 82 included the people on a ship that had been sent to investigate that was also captured.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â