Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Do Russia have the fancy-dan super quick new missiles - the wotsit things - hypersonic?

They claim to have an hypersonic glide vehicle. The hypersonic thing isn't really important. It's just a way of extending range and manoeuvrability of a ballistic missile (they go slower than a normal ICBM), to defeat middle defences. Russia has spent the last decade or so investing in various systems to defeat missile defences, the hypersonic glide vehicle is just one of them, and it's not a guarantee that it can best any defences either...

• Like 2

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Zelensky will address British MP’s in the HoP parliament tomorrow via video link at 5pm.

Special screens and headsets being added.

Oh no... This is going to be really embarrassing isn't it? Is Liz Truss going to be allowed to speak?

7 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Along the same lines, I became friends with an eccentric retired rocket scientist a few years back. I was at a festival in Santa Barbara CA and he was a huge classical music fan who lived in a double wide trailer (although a double wide in Santa Barbara is probably the finest on the planet!)

I asked about his time working on ICBM's for the US and although he didn't reveal much, one thing he said stuck with me. I asked how accurate missiles were when fired from the US to targets in Russia. He said "See that car down the street - we can hit either that license plate or the one on the car on the other side of the street."

There seemed absolutely no doubt in his mind of the accuracy of these things (and bear in mind he worked on this stuff in the 70's and 80's so it's probably much better now.)

All the good stuff is classified. My pal who works for the MOD (the handyman), said they now have live pictures from satellite imagery that could see what's on a troops sandwich. The misty black and white images they show in the media, are for the media.

• Like 1

Just out of interest, did Nostradamus say anything about Putin in his Quatrains. I know some of the connections are a bit thin but some of the stuff I've read is pretty accurate

55 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Russia has nuclear bombs dropped from Aeroplanes and ballistic missile nukes. 

We could obviously shoot down the bombers but we've reduced the RAF to such an extent we'd probably be swamped by bombers and accompanying fighters. 

We used to have squadrons of Eurofighters and Tornados.  We've retired Tranch 1 Eurofighters now and retired all Tornados a couple of years ago.  We were supposed to replace them with the new F-35's eventually at some point and with some unspecified numbers.  And now they're to be shared with the Navy so the Navy can operate them from the Aircraft Carriers.   So far we've only had 24 delivered, which is less than one carrier should carry, and one crashed and was destroyed leaving 23.  Essentially the RAF have none, or barely any F-35s.

We've basically got 100 Euro fighters, and God only knows how many of them are actually airworthy at any one time. Probably about 10 knowing us.

So we used to have 350 + Tornados supported by Lord knows how many Harriers and Jaguars during their service period. 

Rather like The Royal Navy, The RAF has been run down to bare bones. Hopefully this has been a wake up call and they'll reverse some of the reductions in Aircraft numbers and increase the numbers of F-35s so we can at least properly equip the aircraft carriers AND have a few RAF squadrons as well. 

The Sea Viper system on the Type 42 Destroyers HAS successfully intercepted a Ballistic missile in flight in a test.  How reliable this would be after one success though is unknown. But as per my post a few weeks ago we've currently only got 1 Destroyer fit to put to sea and only 2 in active service.  Assuming the one in port can actually launch interceptor missiles I'm not sure how many ballistic missiles they could take out in the event of a massed attack.  Maybe some of the remaining 4 could at least have their weapons systems activated, who knows.   Not that a bunch of static ships in Portsmouth are going to help Glasgow much. 

They were looking at a land based version of Sea Viper but I think that's still years away (obviously with the Russians so friendly, why would you need to invest in it anyway?) 

Finally the most common (I think) and most difficult problem is Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles, these are ones that actually enter space then descend on targets from greater height at massive speed.  I don't think we have any protection against that, they are notoriously difficult to destroy. 

I believe there is an American system based in Europe that can intercept them so you would hope that they take them out  before they get here. 

Basically you really don't want Nukes coming at us because there are way way to many ifs, buts and maybes to feel any kind of confidence. 

Hopefully they mostly just splutter out on the decaying Russion launchpad though. 

So what you're saying is, we need Stacey Dooley, Ross Kemp, The Hoff and Harry Stamper

So apparently a virtually new Russian warship costing $1.1 Billion was sunk earlier today in the Black Sea near Odessa by Ukranian land-based rocket artillery.

image.jpeg.9e71ab301456c6c4bf5887b7d95ceaca.jpeg

https://dumskaya.net/news/podvig-ukrainskih-moryakov-pod-udar-rszo-rossiys-160920/.

Link in Ukranian but has pics and a very dark video of the successful attack.

One of these 4 ships:   https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_22160_patrol_ship

No idea if true though.

Edited by ender4

Petro Poroshenko said today he and Boris had a great working relationship when he was Foreign Secretary which still continues today.

Noises coming from Ukraine suggest Zelensky and Boris are also close as they have been talking everyday and sometimes twice a day.

Comments today suggesting UK was first to push for sanctions on Russia and SWIFT when the likes of Germany and others were waiting, Trudeau and Poroshenko alluded to this also today. And it was mentioned again how the UK was sending military aid to Ukraine before this Russian invasion began.

17 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Petro Poroshenko said today he and Boris had a great working relationship when he was Foreign Secretary which still continues today.

Noises coming from Ukraine suggest Zelensky and Boris are also close as they have been talking everyday and sometimes twice a day.

Comments today suggesting UK was first to push for sanctions on Russia and SWIFT when the likes of Germany and others were waiting, Trudeau and Poroshenko alluded to this also today. And it was mentioned again how the UK was sending military aid to Ukraine before this Russian invasion began.

And how do our sanctions compare to the EU and Germany now? That's one area I think we're seriously lagging.

6 hours ago, Awol said:

Ukrainians have zapped another Russian big wig. That situational awareness is paying dividends again. 

Judging by that female sniper video that’s doing the rounds, I presume everyone who wants to is given a Dutch sniper rifle and a description what a Russian officer looks like.

It’s ironic how Russia is being essentially out-Sovieted 1944 by Ukraine.

I didn’t think LinkedIn could get any worse but it has. Just saw a post with over 4,000 likes where a woman bought some flowers from M&S on the way home and gave them to her Russian neighbour who is going through a lot at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Judging by that female sniper video that’s doing the rounds, I presume everyone who wants to is given a Dutch sniper rifle

Ukraine are mainly using Canadian sniper rifles bought around 2018 and the Canadians have been instructing them ever since they arrived up to the invasion

8 hours ago, ender4 said:

So apparently a virtually new Russian warship costing $1.1 Billion was sunk earlier today in the Black Sea near Odessa by Ukranian land-based rocket artillery.

image.jpeg.9e71ab301456c6c4bf5887b7d95ceaca.jpeg

https://dumskaya.net/news/podvig-ukrainskih-moryakov-pod-udar-rszo-rossiys-160920/.

Link in Ukranian but has pics and a very dark video of the successful attack.

One of these 4 ships:   https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_22160_patrol_ship

No idea if true though.

Also rumoured to be one of the ships that fired  missiles down on Snake Island ( as in Russian navy, go **** yourself) if the Torygraph is to be believed 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â