Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Which part of what I've said is " untrue " exactly? We are talking about a global issue, which means I can pull from what I'm seeing happen on a global scale.

The overwhelming sentiment I see every day, down to the most petty of things, is that people generally now see Russians as " enemies " by default. Or perhaps it's better to say, they are being treated with disdain by default.

Why would I come on here and just make stuff up?

A poster earlier in the thread even said they've had to stop working with a Russian client.

Russian items are being taken off shelves, this all affects average Russians, even expat Russians.

I haven't come on here and accused anyone on the board of such. We were talking about a statement from a Russian footballer, so how have we made this leap?

Possibly because of sanctions rather than hatred of Russians?

Although it sounds like that particular guy does deserve some disdain as he threatened to shoot the messenger.

Some important context there.

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Oh Jesus Christ.

The person who responded to the initial post, is who brought up " double standards " by the footballer saying that about Iraq etc.

So I then pointed out that I wasn't even going in that direction, and that if I wanted to, I could highlight that 37 Civilians were killed in Yemen just yesterday. ( Or the day before 🤔 )

How TF has that now changed into me Intimating the above in bold??

I'm obviously speaking in Clingong.

Not sure why I've been " groundhog day " ING myself in here.

I tried to share something I thought would relate to the subject, but was relatively light and would avoid controversy 🤣

I was wrong. Again.

It's Klingon....Clingong sounds like something hanging off your arse. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So he's got no right to defend himself, because he happens to be Russian? 🤣

Sorry but I'm not subscribing to that Bollox. Humans are humans, regardless of circumstance.

Obviously he was staying silent, as to not stir anything up one way or the other, but that doesn't please people now either, and that goes across the board with everything in modern society 

Note: I lifted the initial quote from a friend, as that is all he posted. Upon reading the whole thing, I still think people are just being unreasonable due to the situation.

What do they expect him to do? What would please them? 

He has got every right to defend himself and I also respect his right not to comment, but if he is going to comment he should come out and say something of substance condemning the war IMO. His statement is piss weak. "I am against all war" - Just come out and say you're against this war. Other Russian sportspeople including footballers have said they're against it. "I am proud to be Russian" - if this is not referring to the protesters in Russian cities then he should be ashamed, because they are the only thing to be proud of in Russia in the last couple of weeks. I would be ashamed if my country had done something similar to what Russia has done to Ukraine. There are times to be proud of your country but this is not one of them.

Conversely if he wanted to stay silent then he should just have stayed silent.

Also I see within his statement a few issues - purely my opinion and not that of some mainstream media that have brainwashed me;

He said that he didn't want to comment "until the end". Sounds like he believes that this is going to be over soon. "I am against discrimination on the basis of nationality" - sounds like the reason given by Putin for the invasion, that Russians in Ukraine were being discriminated against. He bemoans criticism from "people to whom Russia has given very very much" - I hope that he is not talking about the Ukrainians here.

It seems Dzyuba is buying into the Russian propaganda machine a bit much. I've seen him play football a few times and he struck me as very passionate but not the most critical thinker (of course I could be wrong), so I can't say that I'm surprised that he would be an easy target for Russian nationalist propaganda and also not surprised that he would be susceptible to spreading this further.

A simple statement stating his opposition to THIS war would have sufficed, maybe even add that the Russian people don't want this war, but no he basically just tells everyone to shut up, Russia are doing nothing wrong.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ta all. 

None of those answers are correct

Z    Eastern Military District
Z in the box    Russian army stationed in Crimea
O    Russian army stationed in Belarus
V    Russian Naval Infantry
X    Kadyrov Chechnya
A    Alpha Ground Special Forces

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

None of those answers are correct

Z    Eastern Military District
Z in the box    Russian army stationed in Crimea
O    Russian army stationed in Belarus
V    Russian Naval Infantry
X    Kadyrov Chechnya
A    Alpha Ground Special Forces

You are right, of course but it seems clear that the Z has now been co-opted as a signifier of support for the “Special Military Operations”.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, choffer said:

You are right, of course but it seems clear that the Z has now been co-opted as a signifier of support for the “Special Military Operations”.

Well yes I guess it has but thats because you don't see many photos of the others because all the O are stuck in a traffic jam, the V appear to have been exhausted, the X wiped out and I've never seen an A yet

It is interesting seeing the differentiation between Z and a boxed Z as I wasn't sure if there was a difference but there clearly is

The Z symbol has now been co-opted by Russians who support the war but I suspect thats its purely because those are pretty much all the vehicles you see in images now

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Hope it's not a fake.

It isn't :D 

In Ireland, a man has been arrested after a large lorry crashed into the gates of the Russian embassy in Dublin. 

Irish police said the lorry hit the gates of the embassy on Orwell Road in south Dublin.

The embassy has been the scene of protests in recent days, following the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

lcimg-f6ab9c85-e240-4667-a9a5-2d04f5ac8d

lcimg-0fd9e81c-4d8d-4d28-8010-67684c9348

Sky News

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sne said:

Love the no doubt drunken cheers at the end :D.

Hope it's not a fake.

Irish invading Russian territory, eh?

A bold step, to be sure. 

• Haha 2

So with Germany and USA today indicating they still want to buy Russian oil and the uk seeizing the assets of a whopping 2 Russian oligarchs - it would seem that's it's far from Putin miscalculating the wests response - he's seems to have got it pretty much spot on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

So with Germany and USA today indicating they still want to buy Russian oil and the uk seeizing the assets of a whopping 2 Russian oligarchs - it would seem that's it's far from Putin miscalculating the wests response - he's seems to have got it pretty much spot on.

Has he though? Quite a lot of stuff has happened that wasn't thought likely at the start of this. It was always expected that Germany would be hard to convince on energy, but they've gone much further than most people thought they would.

Also, the FT is reporting that lots of unsanctioned Russians are getting caught up in sanctions anyway because banks are terrified of getting caught working with intermediaries.

The evidence from Russia seems to be that the sanctions are hitting very hard - bank runs, ruble value down significantly, stock market closed, etc. Plus war is a very expensive activity in itself, and Putin has sunk billions on it now.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â