• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

29 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I like the fact that BBC breakfast just skimmed over the nuclear plant attack. Its just a small fire really. Now to Carol for the weather. I wonder if they have been told to not panic the population?

Duck and cover people

1) Media constantly causing panic

2) Media told not to cause panic

🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Again, the repeated question never answered is, how would the USA react today, if Mexico | Canada as " sovereign " nations decided to host a Chinese | Russian military and weapons presence along the length of their border? No one ever answers this.

And it will never be answered because it is completely irrelevant. The two regions in question are completely different and have vastly different histories. Putin was citing the 9th/10th century for a reason of justifying the invasion. Where was North America in the 9th/10th century? The USA has never ruled over the other two countries, hasn't got a despot leader hell bent on claiming one of these countries for himself in order to compensate for the size of his penis. Secondly, the USA has formed alliances with Mexico and Canada, both financially - NAFTA, and strategically with Canada - NATO. The region works together. Of course the USA is the biggest power in the region and most likely gets the best out of these deals, but it has never been a threat to either of the countries.

Maybe Putin could have approached the Ukrainian government in the way that the USA has approached Canada and Mexico to form a mutually beneficial alliance with Ukraine. But no, he has decided the course of action was to interfere with Ukraine joining the EU, resulting in a revolution and the overthrowing of that government, invasion of Crimea, and now invasion of the country to "free the Ukrainian people from Nazis". The same Ukrainian people that elected a Jew as their president. I'm sure you're already aware of this but Nazis don't elect jewish presidents.

The USA is no angel. They've f***ed up a lot of places, be it in the Middle-East, or through the constant interference in and exploitation of Latin America, but the argument shouldn't be "what about all the sh1t America has done" when discussing this invasion of Ukraine by Putin. They are two separate issues and should be treated as such.

42 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

And it will never be answered because it is completely irrelevant. 

No, I don't think it is completely irrelevant. The claim being made is that large, powerful countries perceive themselves to have a 'sphere of influence' around their borders. The claim that 'the USA would not stand for it if this was happening in Mexico' is not saying anything about the likelihood of that, or suggesting that these are exact parallels, but that the USA, as a great power, would not tolerate what would be perceived to be 'enemy' armies in its own backyard. This is very likely true, and we can see it is true because we have 200 years of America vigorously interfering in the affairs of Latin American countries to evidence it. 

What this point does *not* do, obviously, and should not be made to do, is justify a war of aggression on Ukraine. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

I like the fact that BBC breakfast just skimmed over the nuclear plant attack. Its just a small fire really. Now to Carol for the weather. I wonder if they have been told to not panic the population?

Duck and cover people

I enjoyed the morning show at BBC WM.

'And now, bringing you the latest breaking, and most disturbing news, it's sad to hear really. A jeweller in Birmingham has been broken into'.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Really no surprise that Russian athletes and such are not speaking out against the war. 

I've been trying to explain this to people as well though, but they don't get it .

I've seen people slammed for not " speaking out " , including Abromovich🤦🏿

Even though his daughter spoke out.

They act like people don't need to consider their own safety and their families as well. They have to be very measured and calculated with what they say or don't say.

You seen how Jack Ma " dissappeared " for less, in China, and has been quiet since? He's the richest man in China ffs.

It's like asking why North Koreans in North Korea, don't " speak out " against Kim Jung Un.

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

I don't get the point of this, it isn't remotely true and even the gestures depicted do have a point.

Never in my lifetime have I seen so many countries come together and act so swiftly in supplying arms and aid (and highly likely advice and intelligence behind the scenes) to a country as the Ukrainians have recieved

I would argue that, one of the reasons they have been able to put up such strong resistance thus far, is because of all the support they have been recieving world wide.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've seen people slammed for not " speaking out " , including Abromovich🤦🏿

Do you know Abramovic's history? He introduced Putin to Yeltsin, which started him on his path, he funds Putin's election campaigns. Abramovic is not a bystander in this, he is utterly culpable. He's known in the Kremlin as Mr A, he used to live in the Kremlin and it's said he's like a son to Putin

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I would argue that, one of the reasons they have been able to put up such strong resistance thus far, is because of all the support they have been recieving world wide.

Well, it's a small part of it but there are other much bigger factors too

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

You can even include Russian people as well. Nobody wanted this to happen except a couple of egomaniacs which has ruined the lives and homes for people in Ukraine but also financially for the regular people in Russia and Belarus

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, I don't think it is completely irrelevant. The claim being made is that large, powerful countries perceive themselves to have a 'sphere of influence' around their borders. The claim that 'the USA would not stand for it if this was happening in Mexico' is not saying anything about the likelihood of that, or suggesting that these are exact parallels, but that the USA, as a great power, would not tolerate what would be perceived to be 'enemy' armies in its own backyard. This is very likely true, and we can see it is true because we have 200 years of America vigorously interfering in the affairs of Latin American countries to evidence it. 

What this point does *not* do, obviously, and should not be made to do, is justify a war of aggression on Ukraine. 

The Monroe Doctrine has covered numerous grubby and illegal interventions of the US into South and Central america. Panama, Nicaragua, supporting Pinochet in Chile, etc,etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Do you know Abramovic's history? He introduced Putin to Yeltsin, which started him on his path, he funds Putin's election campaigns. Abramovic is not a bystander in this, he is utterly culpable. He's known in the Kremlin as Mr A, he used to live in the Kremlin and it's said he's like a son to Putin

The Ukrainians requested that Abramovic be present at the ceasefire negotiations, such is his close relationship with Putin. 

They obviously see him as somebody who might be able to reason with Putin. 

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I didn't to know that be fair, was just using him as an example.

Either way, seems there is no right thing he can do. I thought him immediately putting the club up for sale was a good thing, but people are slamming that too.

I saw him apparently say proceeds will go to war victims etc, and that was slammed as well.

If he is that connected, then, it makes it even more dangerous for him to say anything against.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

The Ukrainians requested that Abramovic be present at the ceasefire negotiations, such is his close relationship with Putin. 

They obviously see him as somebody who might be able to reason with Putin. 

There's another angle to that. Putin was unlikely to pull a stunt if one of his favoured sons was in the room

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I enjoyed the morning show at BBC WM.

'And now, bringing you the latest breaking, and most disturbing news, it's sad to hear really. A jeweller in Birmingham has been broken into'.

You don't expect the local news to cover a story about an armed robbery involving people swinging axes around in the street threatening people in broad daylight?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â