• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

4 minutes ago, Genie said:
  1. Ukraine's President Zelensky has asked Vladimir Putin for one-to-one talks, saying this is the only way to end the war 

like a straightener 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Awol said:

The west will not decide if or when the Ukrainians stop resisting, they will. Furthermore they will win because they can and will outlast Putin’s financial, political and military capacity to prosecute the war. 

80,000 Ukrainian men have left safety in Poland to go home and fight, we must give them every means we can to defend their country for as long as they choose to.

I hope your right chap, but will Putin not fire a big one into Ukraine if he feels he's losing the fight.

6 hours ago, Awol said:

Sadly not, war is very much a come as you are event that sometimes chooses you. That’s why it’s sensible to maintain strong armed forces in times of peace as a deterrent that maintains the peace. Then the people in charge forget why we have the peace and look for easy budget savings that don’t cost votes. Do that for long enough and peace goes away of its own accord. 

Though we’ve been spending around £60 Billion a year for decades on defence spending.  That’s some serious money. Why don’t we have a strong military for that much money spent?

Edited by ender4

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Though we’ve been someone around £60 Billion a year for decades on defence spending.  That’s some serious money. Why don’t we have a strong military for that much money spent?

It was probably the same person writing the cheques as during covid.

Nobody knows where the money went but it’s a bit of a faff to start looking so just write it off

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

link?

Press conference earlier - here's some news stories to back them up.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/russian-convoy-blitzed-by-ukrainian-troops-armed-with-brit-anti-tank-weapons/

Russian convoy blitzed near Kyiv by Ukrainian troops 'armed with Brit anti-tank weapons'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/02/ukraine-battlefield-military-offensive-kherson/

A massive Russian convoy of tanks and combat vehicles was still struggling to make its way to Kyiv, the capital, stalled by attacks by the Ukrainian military, low morale among Russian troops and botched planning, Western defense officials said. But U.S. officials cautioned that Moscow probably would bounce back from early setbacks and continued to maintain the upper hand against Ukraine’s outgunned and less-experienced military.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

But ... If we're to believe the motivation for this is NATO expansion eastwards, how would doing this resolve that?

I still don't fully understand why they have invaded. Sometimes it's because of NATO, sometimes it's because of separatist regions that he wants to 'liberate', sometimes it's because of Ukraine's natural resources.

And sometimes it's because he wants to reinstate the USSR. He has said this hasn't he? 

Maybe he's just been reminiscing about the good old days, is this just him having a mid life crisis? 

Sky News

:detect:

Polish citizens are being told to leave Russia and Belarus due to the escalating situation. 

"We recommend Polish citizens staying on the territory of the Russian Federation should leave its territory using available commercial and private transport," the Polish foreign ministry said. 

Travel options are currently limited due to flights between the two countries being suspended. 

Issuing a similar warning for people in Belarus, it said: "In the event of a drastic deterioration of the security situation, a closure of borders or other unforeseen situations, evacuation may turn out to be considerably difficult or even impossible."

38 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d love to know how much of the response from the rest of the world was expected by Putin, and what was not.

I can’t believe they assumed it all.

I don't think they thought the entire world would get in sync so quickly. 

And as I said earlier, I think with the complex interconnected world of business there will be hits in all sorts of areas they just didn't consider. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I don't think they thought the entire world would get in sync so quickly. 

And as I said earlier, I think with the complex interconnected world of business there will be hits in all sorts of areas they just didn't consider. 

I don't think he was expecting the level of reaction and I dont think he was expecting the demos in Russia either.

Unfortunately, i don't think he gives a shit about either

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

And sometimes it's because he wants to reinstate the USSR. He has said this hasn't he? 

Maybe he's just been reminiscing about the good old days, is this just him having a mid life crisis? 

Apparently he was in Dresden during the Berlin Wall fall and he gave the Stasi documents up but kept the KGB ones safe. He was also not again apparently fond of the Soviet system

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Though we’ve been someone around £60 Billion a year for decades on defence spending.  That’s some serious money. Why don’t we have a strong military for that much money spent?

Coz the tories are bent as **** and probably most of it has gone to ex eton boys offering inflated contracts for everything from hub caps to aircraft carriers.

17 minutes ago, ender4 said:

One of the problems is they absolutely piss money away. 

From what I can gather there is obviously a long lead in time for any serious hardware, let's say an Aircraft Carrier. 

From original design to commissioning there is best part of a decade or more. 

Meanwhile technology changes so they constantly demand changes to which the contractor sucks his breath 8n and says how expensive that's going to be now they've done such and such work to date. 

So the cost of the project spirals out of control. 

Remember our aircraft carriers were originally meant to have catapults with conventional airplanes, then they changed it to no catapults with vertical landing aircraft, then they changed back to catapults again, and then back to no catapults, each time costing money, each time changing their aircraft orders at cost. 

So we ended up with no catapults and hardly any aircraft on a ship that cost double what it was supposed to. 

It's the same on pretty much every single military procurement program. 

Also we don't like off the shelf foreign stuff which you could buy fairly cheap, we always want our own tech in it that adds lots of cost. 

Plus we've not made much money from selling our hardware in recent years. Hopefully the new Frigates are good enough for foreign Navy's to buy.  I've seen reports that if we can flog a few of them overseas The Royal Navy might be allowed a couple more, obviously the more you make, the cheaper they get. 

48 minutes ago, blandy said:

This is utter bollex. Sorry.  I detest this interpretation immensely. It's along the same lines as those Stop the War eejits are promoting. The only element of defnsivenesss in Russia's (Putin's) actions is self protection of his ill gotten wealth and visciously enforced status and power. It's democracy and democratic yearnings amongst Russians that he is "defending" against, via brutal assault on a soveriegn, democratic neighbour. NATO has absolutely no aims or desires to attack or assault Russia (indeed as we are seeing).

I mean, FFS.

It's your opinion that their opinion is bollex. That's fair enough - but it's not bollex to say that that is Russia's interpretation. 

For example, I'd like to spend this weekend in a suite in a five star hotel with Helena Bonham-Carter - now you've seen me and you know that the likelihood of that is extremely small, that even the hope of it ridiculous and that I'm clearly out of my mind to suggest that it's a possibility - but you can't tell me I'm not being honest when I say it's what I'd like.*

It's not my interpretation of what Russia have said, it's what Russia have said, it's consistent with what the've been saying for a decade of rattling on about it a decade of sabre rattling and moans, no one though they were stupid enough to make the dumbest decision in their history and actually invade the place - that's the insane choice of a leader gone gaga - but the reasoning is his point of view. 

There's absolutely no reason to suggest that he's suddenly going to go on a rampage through Poland and into Western Europe because he's decided he's Hitler - that's the kind of nonsense that wartime reporting generates.

*HBC, dm me if you're reading.

31 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Because shareholder value is more important than quality of product?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â