• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

38 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

I don't know what they'd gain from that. International support is because they are defending themselves, and have never been aggressive to Russia. Also doubt they could hit anything important from Ukraine

Absolutely. If they bring themselves to Russia's level they lose all the massive kudos they've earned. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I think I've overloaded myself with it tbh. Every night I'm reading forums, the news, watching live streams on YouTube. I did the same with Covid, ended up down a rabbit hole of conspiracy forums and it stressed me out. I do have a somewhat 'addictive' personality and find I need to know more about things but that leads to worry. 

I don't think this will fully escalate. There is far too much at stake for an all out nuclear war and nobody would win that. I do think at the slightest hint that's the route its heading down, Putin would be 'dealt' with and I don't think that would even be by the west or NATO, I think he'd be taken out from within. 

Tonight I'm switching off news and not reading the forums. I'm going to catch up on some YouTube videos from Gamers I watch, make myself a brew and smash a pack of custard creams. 

Yeah I'm a bit the same.

There's stuff we can control and stuff we can't. Spend some time with your family and make your little corner of world a nice place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Hopefully it was the Ukrainians.

Kharkiv is in the north near Russian border, Berdyansk is on the south east coast. Different events. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Whilst I don't want to get into an argument about this, I'm really struggling with the fact that we still live in a world that can't or won't physically defend the weaker/innocent side.

It's shitty, but nuclear weapons changes things. Ukraine is a friend, and an ally, but not 'officially', i.e. a NATO member, and therefore there is nothing that compels anyone to get involved, and without that additional impetus the risk of open conflict with a nuclear state isn't happening.

It's shit, but that's the way it is. We can only help without physically getting involved. We can give arms, we can support monetarily, and we can try to harm Russia through sanctions and so on. Unfortunately Ukraine will be defeated, officially, eventually, Ukraine can't withstand Russia forever unless Russia is incompetent or doesn't escalate as time goes on. It'll turn into a guerrilla war where Ukrainians will need our support to keep bleeding Russia over time while sanctions keep going.

Hopefully. I'd worry more about how our self interest stands up to supporting restrictions on Russia, and what they means long term.

• Like 1

Just now, Chindie said:

It's shitty, but nuclear weapons changes things. Ukraine is a friend, and an ally, but not 'officially', i.e. a NATO member, and therefore there is nothing that compels anyone to get involved, and without that additional impetus the risk of open conflict with a nuclear state isn't happening.

It's shit, but that's the way it is. We can only help without physically getting involved. We can give arms, we can support monetarily, and we can try to harm Russia through sanctions and so on. Unfortunately Ukraine will be defeated, officially, eventually, Ukraine can't withstand Russia forever unless Russia is incompetent or doesn't escalate as time goes on. It'll turn into a guerrilla war where Ukrainians will need our support to keep bleeding Russia over time while sanctions keep going.

Hopefully. I'd worry more about how our self interest stands up to supporting restrictions on Russia, and what they means long term.

Not so sure.

The tone of the news and undercurrent of what politicians are saying.

It's almost as though we are being primed to go to War.

16 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Whilst I don't want to get into an argument about this, I'm really struggling with the fact that we still live in a world that can't or won't physically defend the weaker/innocent side.

It’s because of the bigger picture, if NATO wade in to do the good thing for Ukraine the war goes up several gears and many, many more people are killed.

• Like 2

Just now, Genie said:

It’s because of the bigger picture, if NATO wade in to do the good thing for Ukraine the war goes up several gears and many, many more people are killed.

I can't argue with that, its a shitty situation and probably another reason why nukes as a deterrent shouldn't exist

• Like 1

The fact it's not done and dusted already and all the shit he has to deal with now at home means it's a massive ****from Putin. He's achieving the exact opposite of what he wanted, even if he throws all his might at it and succeeds in taking Kyiv, he won't have it for long because he won't have Russia for long.

Times are changing, good article on how, and how fast Europe has changed it's relationship with Russia: https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/In-just-72-hours-Europe-overhauled-its-entire-16966708.php?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I had a drone I’d send it to Ukraine, preferably one they could fly under their own drone as a shield while they bombed that column every kilometre or so. Just the clearing job alone would take Russia forever.

Strange, unholy alliance between the Ukrainian Left and neo Nazis fighting together. If Russia invaded the US, I'm not sure our far Right wouldn't side with the invaders!

1 minute ago, Genie said:

6-F19-C56-C-618-E-4-BB9-8067-62-D9100-DB

Heard from a Russian expert on the radio that he is really paranoid about covid. Anyone that meets with him has to quarantine for 2 weeks before they can see him!

Speculation is that he mainly talks to his bodyguards and it's hard to ascertain exactly which of his advisors he's even meeting with.

I'm going to have a crack at how it will all finish:

Already an "iron curtain" is falling over Russia. They are being cut off from the rest of the world although China will probably trade with them on a small scale. This is going to continue because it give Putin a "bad guy" i.e. the West to indoctrinate his people against.

Ukraine will end up split, either with a demilitarized zone separating the "independent states" from the rest of Ukraine, or even with a wall ala Germany after WWII.

Sadly between now and then it will drag on, the Ukrainians are going to suffer and many will die. Those of us in the West who are glued to the TV/internet right now will get a bit bored in a couple of weeks and want the next new shiny object. Eventually the Russia Ukraine war will end up with "updates" at the end of the daily news rather than the lead.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm going to have a crack at how it will all finish:

Already an "iron curtain" is falling over Russia. They are being cut off from the rest of the world although China will probably trade with them on a small scale. This is going to continue because it give Putin a "bad guy" i.e. the West to indoctrinate his people against.

Ukraine will end up split, either with a demilitarized zone separating the "independent states" from the rest of Ukraine, or even with a wall ala Germany after WWII.

Sadly between now and then it will drag on, the Ukrainians are going to suffer and many will die. Those of us in the West who are glued to the TV/internet right now will get a bit bored in a couple of weeks and want the next new shiny object. Eventually the Russia Ukraine war will end up with "updates" at the end of the daily news rather than the lead.

Sad but probably true

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Those of us in the West who are glued to the TV/internet right now will get a bit bored in a couple of weeks and want the next new shiny object. Eventually the Russia Ukraine war will end up with "updates" at the end of the daily news rather than the lead.

Sadly this is inevitable. 

• Sad 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â