Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

I'm in a strange situation. I'm currently in a respite home recovering. Thing is most of the residents have dementia. The staff are lowly paid carers. They think it's sad for Ukrainians, but don't fully understand the situation. Every day I'm being asked ( only one compis mentis with access to internet) is there going to be a nuclear war?. I keep telling them no to reassure them. But am I doing right by them. We are also in a covid, lockdown so they are all running around like blue arsed, flies. Most only briefly check news headlines.

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

Anyone else getting a feeling the west is going to get directly involved here at some point.

I know it's not a NATO country - but can we sit by and watch a democratic country have it's citizens bombed into oblivion ?

I think last Thursday - all countries were saying it's a tradegdy but we can not got involved. ....some even hesitant about sanctions.

Now the whole of Europe and one or two others are openly supply arms...........it really doesn't seem far away before some countries go a step further....

Maybe as I said earlier - it's being seen as an opportunity to deal with Russia once and for all.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, choffer said:

If this is real, that is honestly heartbreaking. The poor sods on the front lines are rarely the bad guys, but this really hits home what a warped reality Putin has managed to have his people living under. 

I'd say there's a reasonable chance it's propaganda though, so hard to know what to believe

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Fun fact: Based on the conditions required for entry, if it were in Europe, the USA would not be accepted as an EU member as their election processes and parliamentary structure do not meet the minimum requirement.

The way you can tell America's political system is shit is that they mostly don't replicate it when they impose (or more positively, help create) a new one for countries they've conquered.

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

Anyone else getting a feeling the west is going to get directly involved here at some point.

I know it's not a NATO country - but can we sit by and watch a democratic country have it's citizens bombed into oblivion ?

I think last Thursday - all countries were saying it's a tradegdy but we can not got involved. ....some even hesitant about sanctions.

Now the whole of Europe and one or two others are openly supply arms...........it really doesn't seem far away before some countries go a step further....

Maybe as I said earlier - it's being seen as an opportunity to deal with Russia once and for all.

One thing I do know, unfortunately Russia are not going to be beaten, they are not even using any serious gear yet. How it ends is anyone's guess.

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

If ever you had a moment of doubt about whether you'd read the situation correctly and were on the right "side"

What a weird tweet. It doesn't seem like 'a broad front' at all, three of them are orthodox right-wingers (admittedly one is American); the only one with 'interesting'/heterodox views is him himself, and even he's become predictably right-wing these days.

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If this is real, that is honestly heartbreaking. The poor sods on the front lines are rarely the bad guys, but this really hits home what a warped reality Putin has managed to have his people living under. 

I'd say there's a reasonable chance it's propaganda though, so hard to know what to believe

The fact it was read out in the UN General Assembly makes me believe it. It *could* be propaganda but is that really a sensible forum to be spreading misinformation?

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

One thing I do know, unfortunately Russia are not going to be beaten, they are not even using any serious gear yet. How it ends is anyone's guess.

According to author and Russia expert Stephen Kotkin, the USA would have to send 250k troops and keep them there for years, to drive out Russia and keep them out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

What a weird tweet. It doesn't seem like 'a broad front' at all, three of them are orthodox right-wingers (admittedly one is American); the only one with 'interesting'/heterodox views is him himself, and even he's become predictably right-wing these days.

Carlson's not an orthodox right winger surely? He's basically a full-on Trumper seemingly intent on discrediting everything the Republicans used to hold dear about 15 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Tayls said:

17 mile long convoy of armoured vehicles heading towards Kyiv… this war has to end. Now. 

It's weird that picture - it was taken at lunchtime today - so they've had ten hours to get to Kyiv - I wonder if they're stopped waiting for support and supply vehicles or whether they're currently there as a threat to use as a tool in today's talks.

Thing is, the World is not going to forget this. 

The sanctions are not going to be lifted once they've subjegated Ukraine.   BBC just ran a piece about Russia wanting to become a financial powerhouse.  They showed a skyline of Moscow I've not seen before with a cluster of modern office skyscrapers. 

Germany have already announced they are going to end their reliance on their gas and are going to build new LNG terminals for future gas imports from USA and the Middle East and are building more storage for reserves. 

And I am certain the world will now accelerate a move to renewables.   My own gas and electric bill is going up £1,000 annually in April and what another £1,000 at next review.   So maybe £2,000 or more extra a year.  I could coat my roof in a huge solar panel setup for about £7k.  That was supposed to have a 10 year payback period, I may get it back in just a couple of years now. 

It's hard to see a way back for them from this.  Even if they had massive reserves they're still going to be bankrupt in a couple of years.  They'll have no access to modern tech other than what China decide to supply to them for free. 

The whole thing is just madness. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

I wonder if we now decide to rebuild our own gas reserves which have been allowed to dwindle in a stupidly short sighted move.  Maybe the Aston Gas Holders get a refurb instead of being dismantled.   Which would be nice. 

36 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Carlson's not an orthodox right winger surely? He's basically a full-on Trumper seemingly intent on discrediting everything the Republicans used to hold dear about 15 years ago.

I take your point, but I would say the Bush-style 'MSNBC Republicans' have been so thoroughly routed that Trumpers *are* the orthodoxy nowadays.

1 hour ago, colhint said:

I'm in a strange situation. I'm currently in a respite home recovering. Thing is most of the residents have dementia. The staff are lowly paid carers. They think it's sad for Ukrainians, but don't fully understand the situation. Every day I'm being asked ( only one compis mentis with access to internet) is there going to be a nuclear war?. I keep telling them no to reassure them. But am I doing right by them. We are also in a covid, lockdown so they are all running around like blue arsed, flies. Most only briefly check news headlines.

Have I missed something? Are you ok chap? We can take it to general chat if you want to talk? 😟

If the Kyiv resistance lasts a week I'll be flabbergasted.  The Russians are going to completely destroy a country, kill it's government and slaughter 1000s of innocent people in front of our eyes.  I woke up this morning and for the first 30 seconds, I hadn't remembered this was going on.  Hopefully the same happens tomorrow 😢

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â