• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Less than 12 months after I stopped following all of the Twitter accounts from people called things like 'Dr Eric Expertsson PHD #wearamask #savethenhs', I've now ended up filling my feed with dubious guys with names like 'UKDEFINTEL' who speak exclusively in acronyms.

I didn't know @blandy was on twitter :D

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Christ. 

I mean, that’s great, but I don’t think Poutine will be happy..

What's he going to do, invade them twice? If there's one thing countries should have learned from this, it's that Putin will do what the **** he wants, without provocation, so leaving yourself defensively vulnerable to appease him is a mistake.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Some ‘experts’ seem to think that the Russian high end weapons just aren’t as numerous as previously thought. Has Putin’s kleptocracy contributed to the army being far more undersupplied and underfunded than previously thought, you think?

They have form for it. Before the end of the USSR they claimed to have this and that and it was all a bluff. 

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What's he going to do, invade them twice? If there's one thing countries should have learned from this, it's that Putin will do what the **** he wants, without provocation, so leaving yourself defensively vulnerable to appease him is a mistake.

I’m hoping for some sort of cease fire tbh mate. 

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

They have form for it. Before the end of the USSR they claimed to have this and that and it was all a bluff. 

Regarding the nukes, surely 50 year old nukes would need at least a dust off an full service before turning the keys and pressing the button. Will they even still work?

Putin’s now threatening everyone sending military aid to Ukraine. When does China step up and end this? 

Surely a lot of Putin’s forces are tied up pretending to be prepping to invade everyone who’s sending aid.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Regarding the nukes, surely 50 year old nukes would need at least a dust off an full service before turning the keys and pressing the button. Will they even still work?

The US nuclear arsenal is constantly monitored and upgraded as needed - The teams that take of all of that are based in Los Alamos New Mexico.

It would be reckless to assume the Russians haven't got a similar system in place. Not servicing the nukes sitting in your own backyard is not a great idea.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Yeah, I've been wondering that. They seem to have successfully launched some ballistic missiles. Don't know how complex the system are required to actually cause a Nuke to work. Hope to god we never find out but would be outrageous if he pressed the button to unleash hell on earth and they just failed to go off. 

56 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Is there now a chance for ‘the west’ to achieve far more than initially thought?

Could real change be effected in Russia, like massive reform, perhaps even actual democracy and an opportunity to bring Russia into the modern world? No more wide scale secrecy, no more state sponsored assassinations, no more Russia vs the world.

This is a PR nightmare for them, they can’t suppress information as they did during the soviet era, the people there will know or at least come to know what’s actually going on and Putin’s facade may dwindle rapidly.

That's dangerous as well.

If it transpires Russia is weak - it could be the west or A.N other see an opportunity to deal with Russia once and for all. That's not as attractive as it first sounds imo.

Slightly off topic, having moved to Denver only 18 months ago it's interesting talking to locals. Supposedly there are big ties between the government and Denver, and the unspoken idea is that, if, Washington was nuked, Denver is essentially the fall back place to run the government.

The Feds own lots of property and buildings around Denver and there're many air force bases here. The air force academy is just down the road and we often have fighter jest running training ops above the city (it' bloody loud and scary before you realize what it is.)

It's central location also makes it hard to hit by Russian ICBM's I think (although not certain.)

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Provided they have the latest version of iOS .

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

My old Austin Metro used to have a flat battery after 2 weeks of no use. 

• Haha 1

People are trying to donate money to these guys, buy they have tweeted they do not take donations. I guess some country must be funding them.

https://twitter.com/jogarcia618/status/1498380495297695749?s=20&t=LCjlmKdynnpnPp-JtkCDC

Edit

Looks like this one has been taken down. But Anonymous said they have hacked into Russian banks and all money if not wthdrawn will be taken out of a major Russian bank and put in Ukranian Government banks on the 3rd march. 😲

Edited by foreveryoung

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Slightly off topic, having moved to Denver only 18 months ago it's interesting talking to locals. Supposedly there are big ties between the government and Denver, and the unspoken idea is that, if, Washington was nuked, Denver is essentially the fall back place to run the government.

The Feds own lots of property and buildings around Denver and there're many air force bases here. The air force academy is just down the road and we often have fighter jest running training ops above the city (it' bloody loud and scary before you realize what it is.)

It's central location also makes it hard to hit by Russian ICBM's I think (although not certain.)

There are some interesting ideas about the Denver airport :D

3 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

The US nuclear arsenal is constantly monitored and upgraded as needed - The teams that take of all of that are based in Los Alamos New Mexico.

It would be reckless to assume the Russians haven't got a similar system in place. Not servicing the nukes sitting in your own backyard is not a great idea.

Interesting factoid I discovered in all this is that every nuclear sub The UK have ever made are all sitting laid up in a couple of locations around the UK. 

Civilian Nuclear facilities by law have to factor in decommissioning costs into their life cycle.  MOD has no such requirement so these nukes just sit there quietly rotting. Decomm costs keep rising and rising because new rules and regulations are brought in, so some of those subs from the 60's that could have been dealt with relatively cheaply at the time will now cost gazillions. 

They just keep kicking the can further and further down the road, successive Government after successive Government whilst storage and maintenance costs keep racking up in the millions. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

My old Austin Metro used to have a flat battery after 2 weeks of no use. 

My second car was a silver MG Metro, the battery was ok but a strong wind would dent the bodywork. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Interesting factoid I discovered in all this is that every nuclear sub The UK have ever made are all sitting laid up in a couple of locations around the UK. 

Civilian Nuclear facilities by law have to factor in decommissioning costs into their life cycle.  MOD has no such requirement so these nukes just sit there quietly rotting. Decomm costs keep rising and rising because new rules and regulations are brought in, so some of those subs from the 60's that could have been dealt with relatively cheaply at the time will now cost gazillions. 

They just keep kicking the can further and further down the road, successive Government after successive Government whilst storage and maintenance costs keep racking up in the millions. 

Well thats not good!

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â