• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This was just discussed on The World At One, though the specific claim made is that he's there as an intermediary, having been invited by the Ukrainian side (this makes sense to me to be honest, I doubt he'd be worth having from Putin's side). 

Actually The World At One was an incredibly depressing listen. First they had on a guy who used to be close to Putin, a former chief economic advisor I think, now turned dissenter, and he was bigging up the risk of nuclear war and saying there are absolutely no 'adults in the room'. I tend to dismiss stuff like this - dissidents always go above and beyond in denunciations of their former employer - but it was depressing anyway. 

Then the next on was some guy from the defence staff. He was asked about what it would take for us to intervene militarily, but rather than ruling it out, he seemed to be suggesting that if the Russians start using that thermobaric rocket launcher thing they're trundling around that we might have to start at least thinking about it, 'but we have to be clear that if we do that, we're at war with Russia'. 

If for some reason you're a glutton for punishment, you can listen here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0014x75

Women's hour should be on soon which hopefully won't be as depressing :)

15 minutes ago, trekka said:

Jerusalem Post

He might be "there" on the sidelines but not directly involved in talks. 

obviously I don't' know if he's sitting in the room where its all going down but  the article you linked to states "and has travelled to Belarus to participate in the discussions."

Just now, tonyh29 said:

obviously I don't' know if he's sitting in the room where its all going down but  the article you linked to states "and has travelled to Belarus to participate in the discussions."

Maybe he is there taking selfies :D 

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Then the next on was some guy from the defence staff. He was asked about what it would take for us to intervene militarily, but rather than ruling it out, he seemed to be suggesting that if the Russians start using that thermobaric rocket launcher thing they're trundling around that we might have to start at least thinking about it, 'but we have to be clear that if we do that, we're at war with Russia'. 

Exactly what we were talking about on here yesterday:

On 27/02/2022 at 14:00, Awol said:

…worst case: he’s considering the Grozny solution to taking Ukrainian cities, which would dramatically ramp up pressure to intervene directly from western publics. Kyiv is approx 3 million people. If 1/5 of them intend to fight then the urban battle could  chew up the entire Russian force, unless he rubble’s the city first - causing tens of thousands of civilian casualties. 

Mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I saw a US colonel speak about being an observer with the Ukrainian army in 2014. He’d seen a unit totally destroyed under thermobaric bombardment, and said the injuries were so horrific the only thing left to do was shoot their own wounded. If they use those weapons in civilian areas you’d have to conclude that Putin is prepared to do anything at all - also possibly what he wants us to think.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Xela said:

No way. Russia should be exiled in every way possible. I'm surprised Spartak Moscow are still in the Europa League - they should have been kicked out and UEFA need to ban Russian teams from European competition next season as soon as possible. 

Its stuff like this which will turn public opinion in Russia against Putin. 

Of course. But it’s still a shame, many of the Russian players are likely associated with pros from other leagues etc. many also probably do not want this war to happen, in line with (what appears to be) the public opinion. It’s unfortunate to have to ban them from all sports, but absolutely necessary. 

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That's not a joke by the way, his actual **** title is 'Baron Lebedev, of Hampton in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames and of Siberia in the Russian Federation'.

This **** country man. Abolish The House Of Lords!

This photo has upset me. Is there anything on what has happened to this little girl anywhere? 

4 minutes ago, Awol said:

If they use those weapons in civilian areas you’d have to conclude that Putin is prepared to do anything at all - also possibly what he wants us to think.

We used them on civilian areas in Iraq.

This is the big fear for me, if Ukrainian resistance to the current Russian tactics continue to have some success, he'll resort to the methods that have worked elsewhere in the past. If there are people in the towns with 'super modern Dutch LAW tank killers', then at some point he'll just say no more tanks, bomb the towns to the ground from here. It worked for them in Chechnya and at Grozny, it worked for us in Baghdad - it's horrific and it will be awful here.

• Like 4

Just interested how everyone sees this panning out ? 

Im old enough to remember Turkey invading cyprus in the mid 1970's - as they were overly with a change of govt - I believe after a coup.  Turkey captured masses of of Land - the eventual ceasefire involved a UN buffer line between the two countries.

Obviously a UN buffer looks unlikely to be an option right now.

Or will Putin in the coming weeks take the capital cities - and try and quell the insurgency - again that looks unlikely with the hardware en route to Ukraine from the west.

Could Putin be toppled ? - again unlikely.

Dunno - wots everyone think ? 

Edited by hippo

I think there is a solution, which the popularity boost that the Ukrainian Prime minister has received during the conflict could actually help with. 

Russia wants a puppet government aligned to their aims in place in Ukraine, the West wants a puppet government aligned to their aims in place in Ukraine - Zelenskyy is now popular enough that he might be able to get away with telling them both to bog off and putting together some sort of independent constitution that lets them sit outside of those desires but remain on trading terms with both blocs.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Just interested how everyone sees this panning out ? 

Im old enough to remember Turkey invading Greece in the mid 1970's - as they were overly with a change of govt - I believe after a coup.  Turkey captured masses of of Land - the eventual ceasefire involved a UN buffer line between the two countries.

Obviously a UN buffer looks unlikely to be an option right now.

Or will Putin in the coming weeks take the capital cities - and try and quell the insurgency - again that looks unlikely with the hardware en route to Ukraine from the west.

Could Putin be toppled ? - again unlikely.

Dunno - wots everyone think ? 

They also illegally invaded northern Cyprus 

Its intwresting the swiss have taken action against the russians. Was not expecting that.  Massive blow to putin

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They also illegally invaded northern Cyprus 

Its intwresting the swiss have taken action against the russians. Was not expecting that.  Massive blow to putin

Shit !  it was cyprus I was on about - what a numpty !!!

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â