Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

When you look as the effect than one or 2 guys hidden in buildings / the woods can have on heavy armour with a modern, guided shoulder mounted weapon you can see how there may be no role anymore for tanks and other armoured vehicles, they're a sitting duck. 

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

When you look as the effect than one or 2 guys hidden in buildings / the woods can have on heavy armour with a modern, guided shoulder mounted weapon you can see how there may be no role anymore for tanks and other armoured vehicles, they're a sitting duck. 

Which sort of punctuates Russia's problems when they've got 12.000 sitting ducks with no fluel, and their whole military doctrine is to use said tanks ahead of anything else which leaves them open to simple javelins.

The javelin is so effective because it has two charges, one to take out armor and one to penetrate the cabin. It also goes "up", and then down on the tanks, and avoids heavy front and turret armor. You don't even need to be close, you can let lose from 2.5 kilometres.

57 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I agree, its a terrifying decision. For me the reality is we now live in a world where the vast majority of us would not get involved and just hope for the best 

But we are involved supplying everything short of ground troops.

If the promised hardware gets to Ukraine quicky enough - it massively evens up the war in a way than many believed not possible last Thursday.

32 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Ukranian delegation has arrived for talks with Russian counterparts..

It’s telling that the Russians want to talk already. I don’t expect any kind of agreement is close but you’d think if they were as big and powerful and they’d like us to believe then they’d be pushing ahead and saying “you had your chance”.

Problem now is that Putin appears to be out of options when it comes to saving face. whilst you probably think 'good serves him right' - it could possibly make him more desperate and who knows what he could do.

Even if he stopped the offensive today - the western world won't be in a hurry to bring them back into the fold. 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s telling that the Russians want to talk already. I don’t expect any kind of agreement is close but you’d think if they were as big and powerful and they’d like us to believe then they’d be pushing ahead and saying “you had your chance”.

Or it could be  'you're surrounded  - surrender now to save massive loss of life"

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Or it could be  'you're surrounded  - surrender now to save massive loss of life"

Could be, but I don’t think so (me, a total noob). 
I think it’s a bit of “it ain’t going as well as we’d hoped, we thought they’d roll over by now. We don’t really want to dust of the really big weapons but we don’t want to lose either. The reality of the response from the rest of the world is also hitting home. Maybe a diplomatic solution suits everyone after all”.

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Could be, but I don’t think so (me, a total noob). 
I think it’s a bit of “it ain’t going as well as we’d hoped, we thought they’d roll over by now. We don’t really want to dust of the really big weapons but we don’t want to lose either. The reality of the response from the rest of the world is also hitting home. Maybe a diplomatic solution suits everyone after all”.

Would you trust a ceasefire with Putin.

Wouldn't he just come back better prepared in 18 months time ? 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, here are the reasons why Russia's army isn't as strong as people suggest:

a) Ukranians have found no GPS in any vehicle they've captured, they've found maps and information on paper on Russian soldiers. The Russians seem underfunded and undersupplied. Almost all vehicles nowadays have gps systems, but it appears Russia haven't got this.

b) Russias infantry is not fighting at night. They appear to not have night vision. Ukrainians are winning back airports and cities in the evening because Russians aren't able to effectively combat their night vision equipment.

c) The Russian leadership seem unable to adapt their tactics. It's all about pummeling down highways in massive armoured columns and hoping that it scares the defenders. It hasn't and it won't.

d) Russia has deployed 1/3's of its original invasion force. Every modern soldier requires about 4 support soldiers (food, fuel, ammo, medicine etc). There isn't much more front line personnel to throw in unless Putin draws on combat groups from i.e the East or North combat groups.

If it's not goung well Putin could save face by offering to withdraw but keeping the previous rebel held regions and claiming that's what he wanted all along.

At this point I suspect Ukraine would agree to that.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â