Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

Just now, av1 said:

Still disagree. There is war, and there is nuclear war. NATO country or not, if he used a nuke the rest of world would respond 

I would hope this is true, as would about 6 billion other people. History tells us the US used nukes twice on Japan, no-one else has since. It almost happened in the 60s and we've managed to avoid it since. 

This is the first invasion of a nuclear power against another country (I'm not counting Iraq as that is a whole different thread), so who knows what could happen. 

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's one thing having partisan support for your leader and your country but when you realise his actions could lead to your death, your families death and the death of everyone you know, for no real reason, at some point your support has to waiver. 

But by the same point if Putin thinks he hasn’t got your support then your actions could lead to your death, your families death and the death of everyone you know because all you know is the life you lead in that Russian environment.  You have been taught that, your family has been taught that, your allegiance to that and most likely brainwashed in that.  

In the remote chance you realise this is wrong, what are your options? Stay the course and keep your head down or most likely you die, and your family dies.  You are unlikely to get out of Russia and you are unlikely to take out Putin.  

This isn’t like partisan support in the UK, where you can change your mind and/or leave.  This is a very different kettle of fish.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

That would only be if he nuked a NATO country. He could probably get away with using them on Ukraine. 

I really don’t think he could, once you use a nuke there’s no going back and it would represent a clear and present danger to the entire world.

Whilst it’s shocking to watch it shouldn’t be forgotten that ‘conventional’ wars are and have been ongoing for a long time, the UK has been front and centre in some of those as we all know.

The moment someone as unpredictable and aggressive as Putin uses one it throws all other rules of engagement out the window and the world would have to respond in kind.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was just wondering where our Nuclear subs are.

Nornally there is only one at sea at a time. At least one is always undergoing maintenance or refit. 

I wonder if whichever are seaworthy have quietly slid into the ocean in the last few hours. 

Does America have to publicly state what state of readiness they are? Is it still called Defcon? 

Someone needs to get Joshua onto this. 

There will definitely be one in the black sea somewhere. there are also stealth jets on the air over Ukraine. Those 5+ stratotankers are not hovering around in Romania/Polish airspace for nothing.

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

Still disagree. There is war, and there is nuclear war. NATO country or not, if he used a nuke the rest of world would respond 

I don’t think so.  

Putin uses 1 nuke on Kyiv, wiping it out.

The UK, France and the USA then have to decide whether to launch a nuclear attack on Russia… wiping out all major cities in the UK, France and USA from Russia’s immediate retaliation.

No chance Boris, Biden and Macron decide that course of action.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

I don’t think so.  

The UK, France and the USA then have to decide whether to launch a nuclear attack on Russia… wiping out all major cities in the UK, France and USA from Russia’s immediate retaliation.

He doesn't need a nuke to wipe out Kyiv so will just pummel it with conventional methods

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I really don’t think he could, once you use a nuke there’s no going back and it would represent a clear and present danger to the entire world.

Whilst it’s shocking to watch it shouldn’t be forgotten that ‘conventional’ wars are and have been ongoing for a long time, the UK has been front and centre in some of those as we all know.

The moment someone as unpredictable and aggressive as Putin uses one it throws all other rules of engagement out the window and the world would have to respond in kind.

Totally accept this, and as a father I would hope the people in charge know this. 

Whilst conventional warfare is abhorrent and usually a last resort, the Nuclear deterrent is there to prevent warfare. If that is the case, then it has failed miserably.... again.... 

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I don’t think so.  

I'm sticking to my original story I've been told, that a cyber attack could disable a nuke launch. If not, I'm sure there is some serious classified air defense out there that would come into action.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

I'm sticking to my original story I've been told, that a cyber attack could disable a nuke launch. If not, I'm sure there is some serious classified air defense out there that would come into action.

Both sides have cyber defences that probably cancel each other out. The geeks are everywhere. They are probably trying to hack the launch codes as we speak, even more so since Putin has put them on high alert.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Both sides have cyber defences that probably cancel each other out. The geeks are everywhere. They are probably trying to hack the launch codes as we speak, even more so since Putin has put them on high alert.

Would also be scary that some random geek could get access to a nuke, hopefully a geek that is balanced in the head.

NATO would never use nukes in the modern age ...the collateral damage would be too much ....I'd say it would be some group within Russia itself would make sure a change of leadership would be forced.one way or the other before it gets to that stage 

Edited by Meath_Villan

Probably late to the Party on this one but if you want a bit of context on how badass Ukrainians are and how hard they fought for their freedom in 2013, Netflix is showing “Winter on Fire, Ukraine’s fight for freedom”. 
It’s not an easy watch, obviously, but it shows how hard won their freedoms are and gives an insight into how tough they are as a people. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Nornally there is only one at sea at a time. At least one is always undergoing maintenance or refit. 

I wonder if whichever are seaworthy have quietly slid into the ocean in the last few hours. 

Does America have to publicly state what state of readiness they are? Is it still called Defcon? 

Someone needs to get Joshua onto this. 

Probably pleasantly cruising deep somewhere in the North Sea. Trident has a 12,000 kilometer range they could hit however needs hitting from there and its right next to base to they can go and rearm quickly as well.

40 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I really think it's time for China to start exerting some pressure here.  Once he starts talking about Nuclear Armageddon they have to realise its a total lose lose situation. 

Hopefully it will also make them think a bit deeper about the danger North Korea could pose to the world in future. 

May have missed it but they tested another ballistic missile yesterday … guess they wanted to make sure they weren’t ignored whilst this was going on

35 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I

Vengeance came back to port on 18th Feb so I’d imagine that one is still at home 

Vanguard is having a refit after small cracks were found in its fuel rods … due back in service mid 2022

Not sure about Vigilant and Victorious , maybe they are at sea ? 

1 hour ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Whilst this sounds simplistic its absolutely the way to go. It's just another sanction.

Why has Roman passed on his ownership of Chelsea, he is obviously expecting something

I'd like to be enlightened....if somebody knows, what happens if all the trustees resign. Can the government then take the club? 

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know there's a war on, but if I were in a position of authority in the Ukrainian government I might be telling whoever run the official Twitter account for the National Guard that they aren't doing any favours vis-a-vis the 'Nazi' allegation by posting content in which they put lard on bullets to fire at Chechens:

(It's also not really the main problem here, but guys, Muslim soldiers don't become 'extra dead' or something because you coated the bullet in a pork product, there are more productive uses of your time).

As a Muslim, that's actually just kind of a funny waste of time on their part. We're even allowed to eat the damn thing under certain conditions. 

But what's even funnier is the reaction in the replies. It's amazing how much people are preoccupied with optics. These guys are fighting a war. They're loading up the bullets to kill their enemies. Did they expect them to ask for permission, or be polite about it? Reminds me of this meme:

66u5oo.jpg

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â