Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

50 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Surely that's the goal, avoid conflict at all costs. I think it's easy to say the west isnt reacting when you live in the west. Are you prepared for you or your loved ones to go off to a war in Russia? I'm not. 

Agreed - no one wants that. But appeasement carries a risk as well. Has to be a doubt that he will stop at Ukraine - If he starts taking on European countries eventually he will get to us - unless someone defeats him.

Best we can hope for is another cold war.

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know there's a war on, but if I were in a position of authority in the Ukrainian government I might be telling whoever run the official Twitter account for the National Guard that they aren't doing any favours vis-a-vis the 'Nazi' allegation by posting content in which they put lard on bullets to fire at Chechens:

(It's also not really the main problem here, but guys, Muslim soldiers don't become 'extra dead' or something because you coated the bullet in a pork product, there are more productive uses of your time).

De nazification was described as ‘ludicrous’ by both the govt and the BBC.

We are now in a situation where we have to pick a side, and the side is pretty bloody obvious. But there is definitely an element within Ukraine society that I probably wouldn’t mix with socially.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We are now in a situation where we have to pick a side, and the side is pretty bloody obvious. But there is definitely an element within Ukraine society that I probably wouldn’t mix with socially.

Yes, as I say, there's a war on, so 'they're racist' isn't perhaps the most pressing issue *right now*.

That being said, it's the stated ambition of the Ukrainian government to join not just NATO but also the EU, and if an independent Ukraine does re-emerge out of the back of this mess, it should really be made clear to them (though of course we have no say anyway at this point) that things like folding a neo-Nazi paramilitary group into your regular defence forces (which seems to be what happened to Azov, and not in the last few days either) are Not On.

• Like 2

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, as I say, there's a war on, so 'they're racist' isn't perhaps the most pressing issue *right now*.

That being said, it's the stated ambition of the Ukrainian government to join not just NATO but also the EU, and if an independent Ukraine does re-emerge out of the back of this mess, it should really be made clear to them (though of course we have no say anyway at this point) that things like folding a neo-Nazi paramilitary group into your regular defence forces (which seems to be what happened to Azov, and not in the last few days either) are Not On.

It’s fascinating that Liz truss doesn’t appear to know this.

Democrats in the U.S. have previously requested that the Azov group be prescribed by the U.S. as terrorists. They recruit from overseas including the UK. So angry cheese lady has today said on TV it’s ok for UK nationals to go and join the fighting. What could possibly go wrong there? There is absolutely no way on god’s good earth there could be a negative outcome from her statement. No way someone could be trained by neo nazi’s and then caught by Russians and paraded on TV and it transpire that they used to be British military. Nope, no way anyone could see that scenario.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know there's a war on, but if I were in a position of authority in the Ukrainian government I might be telling whoever run the official Twitter account for the National Guard that they aren't doing any favours vis-a-vis the 'Nazi' allegation by posting content in which they put lard on bullets to fire at Chechens:

(It's also not really the main problem here, but guys, Muslim soldiers don't become 'extra dead' or something because you coated the bullet in a pork product, there are more productive uses of your time).

In this day and age, surely they could kill the invaders in a Vegan way, y’know, because guys, there’s no need to make defending your life and your family’s lives potentially, like, upsetting to the invading hordes, is there?

it’s one thing killing invaders, but really quite beyond the pail to insult their religion.

*you’re right, btw

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s fascinating that Liz truss doesn’t appear to know this.

Democrats in the U.S. have previously requested that the Azov group be prescribed by the U.S. as terrorists. They recruit from overseas including the UK. So angry cheese lady has today said on TV it’s ok for UK nationals to go and join the fighting. What could possibly go wrong there? There is absolutely no way on god’s good earth there could be a negative outcome from her statement. No way someone could be trained by neo nazi’s and then caught by Russians and paraded on TV and it transpire that they used to be British military. Nope, no way anyone could see that scenario.

Maybe Tommy Robinson could sign up for them? I'll happily drive him to the border. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Maybe Tommy Robinson could sign up for them? I'll happily drive him to the border. 

Stephen was in Woburn this morning about 11am having breakfast with friends if that helps.

Screenshot-2022-02-27-194409.png

Looks to be landing in Jasionka, right on the Ukrainian border. 

EDIT: confirmed landed.  That'll be military kit and medical supplies going straight through to where it's needed :) 

Edited by trekka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

You could also say there's a group in English society that you wouldn't mix with either. The greater evil here is Putin, not Russia or Ukraine but Putin. Which side would wipe out all if they don't get their way. The fact Nato isn't defending Ukraine kind of answers that one

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â