Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

15 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Give it two weeks and the offensive momentum is over, and we'll be back at Russians trying to take Chasiv Yar for the 6th month in a row. There's some absolutely bonkers videos from the border regions of Kharkiv of Russia sending waves and waves of BMPs into the same place and getting torn to shreds by simple FPV drones. The mind boggles. 

They've a new boss they need to impress. Get 10K soldiers killed, take  a tiny, uninhabited, destroyed village = Promotion.

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

Posted (edited)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c72p0xx410xo

The Russians simply walked in.

Denys Yaroslavskyi is angry. As the Commander of a Ukrainian Special Reconnaissance Unit, he fought in Ukraine’s surprise offensive in Kharkiv in the autumn of 2022, which pushed back an initial Russian invasion all the way back to the border. 

Russian forces have, in recent days, made small but significant gains right along the border in the Kharkiv region. Their advances are only a few miles deep but have swallowed up around 100km (62 miles) of Ukrainian territory. In the more heavily defended east of Ukraine, it’s taken Russia months to achieve the same.

Denys wants to know what happened to Ukraine’s defences. “There was no first line of defence. We saw it. The Russians just walked in. They just walked in, without any mined fields” he says. He shows me video from a drone feed taken a few days ago of small columns of Russian troops simply walking across the border, unopposed.

Edited by ender4

22 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

The great Purge is in progress

Look at his eyes. He's staring out of the window already. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, astondalston said:

What difference will the Danish F-16's make when they arrive in the next few weeks?

Gives them more options and pushes the Russians to operate their planes further back from the front, which makes things easier for troops on the ground. There will be a knock on effect everywhere. The Russian air force have the choice of being less effective, or taking greater risks, and being more likely to be shot down.

Ukraine will probably lose some, which will be trumpeted as Russia being about to win or something.

21 hours ago, astondalston said:

What difference will the Danish F-16's make when they arrive in the next few weeks?

Seems like they will be the last chance to actually achieve any wins and advances. Europe and the US aren't going to provide anything newer or better and Ukraine is running out of troops. I think the next 12 months is last chance saloon for Ukraine to get some land back. 

Slovakia are in NATO so no way the Russians did this imho. Instead, they sow dissent and let locals do their work for them. The Russians are years ahead of the West in this new warfare.

18 minutes ago, Enda said:

Slovakia are in NATO so no way the Russians did this imho. Instead, they sow dissent and let locals do their work for them. The Russians are years ahead of the West in this new warfare.

Fico ran his last election on stopping funding to Ukraine, I seriously doubt it was Russia

• Like 2

Yeah, I appreciate that. I’m considering the wider geopolitical implications. My immediate reaction was Franz Ferdinand. Take Poland, for example, and imagine someone there got shot. By warping the minds of 5% or 10% of the population, like they perhaps did with Trump and maybe even Brexit, Russia don’t even need agents on the ground to get their hands dirty.

It’s a very clever strategy.

34 minutes ago, Enda said:

Britain is also in NATO, didn't stop them.

• Like 1

Fico is pretty pro-Russia, I'd guess he's more likely to have been targeted for domestic matters. Supposedly Slovakian politics has become very polarised and Fico is controversial in a few respects, not least of which appears to be his willingness to cozy up to Slovak Nationalists.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, limpid said:

Britain is also in NATO, didn't stop them.

I’ve yet to see them assassinate a British PM.

The guy who shot the Slovakian PM, as expected, seems to have done it because of his domestic policies, most notably moves to close the Slovak public broadcaster (which he appears to be doing because it's not supportive enough of him, in his view).

23 minutes ago, Enda said:

I’ve yet to see them assassinate a British PM.

If they had done so in the last 3 years - would anyone have noticed?

39 minutes ago, Jareth said:

If they had done so in the last 3 years - would anyone have noticed?

If they could have assassinated truss before she **** the arse out of the economy we could have sent putin a thank you card.

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â