Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Who could have predicted during the 1950s Korean War, that in 2023, mighty Russia would be going cap in hand to North Korea for weapons? 

Problem is that they'll get them and all it will cost them is some oil and grain. 

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

If true, and it looks like it is, this is the first Russian sub sunk by Ukraine.

Also, Elon Musk is about to get in all kinds of federal hurt in the US for turning off his starlink when Ukraine was about to hit a ship that was sending volleys of missiles into civilian centers.

Sorry Elon, you got into this war when you tried to look the nice guy by donating systems to a country that is fighting a desperate defensive war. I'm sure it sucks that you're now unpopular with your friend Vladimir for it, but you can't have it both ways, you authoritarian crank-magnet.

He didn’t turn off Starlink and thwart a Ukrainian attack. 

Starlink has never operated over Crimea. Supposedly because suppling it to the Russians in Crimea would be a breach of US sanctions. 

25 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

He didn’t turn off Starlink and thwart a Ukrainian attack. 

Starlink has never operated over Crimea. Supposedly because suppling it to the Russians in Crimea would be a breach of US sanctions. 

Yes, I think that is correct. I think the story is actually that Ukraine asked him to turn it on and he refused, rather than he turned it off. But Musk didn't use the sanctions as a justification for not turning it on, he claimed he didn't want to start WWIII

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes, I think that is correct. I think the story is actually that Ukraine asked him to turn it on and he refused, rather than he turned it off. But Musk didn't use the sanctions as a justification for not turning it on, he claimed he didn't want to start WWIII

This is his version of events:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Apparently the deal is more likely about weapons / space technology than oil / grain.

I wonder how that works in reality, what do NK actually get in return for a load of missiles, bullets and bombs?

Do they get a load of engineers? Imagine being sent from Russia to North Korea 😮 

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I wonder how that works in reality, what do NK actually get in return for a load of missiles, bullets and bombs?

Do they get a load of engineers? Imagine being sent from Russia to North Korea 😮 

Probably design spec's for some more advanced weapons or a submarine that actually works and isn't a death trap. 

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

The ability to launch satellites is the theory because NK have had two spectacular falures on that score in recent months

Just now, bickster said:

The ability to launch satellites is the theory because NK have had two spectacular falures on that score in recent months

Yeah, but what does helping NK launch satellites look like in reality?

Is it transferring CAD, drawings and specs? Selling them some Russian made satellites? Providing technical engineers to work with NK engineers to show them where they are going wrong? Maybe Russia will launch satellites on behalf of NK and then hand over the management?

Just now, Genie said:

Yeah, but what does helping NK launch satellites look like in reality?

Is it transferring CAD, drawings and specs? Selling them some Russian made satellites? Providing technical engineers to work with NK engineers to show them where they are going wrong? Maybe Russia will launch satellites on behalf of NK and then hand over the management?

I don't have a spycam in the Russian Space Centre :D 

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I don't have a spycam in the Russian Space Centre :D 

Haha, i’m just curious how it happens.

Be funny if Russia receives 100 trucks worth of weapons and in return NK get an 8gb USB stick :lol: 

(not funny really, but you get the idea). It would be funny if they fell out over it.

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

This is his version of events:

Are we supposed to trust anything this man says? The guy is a conspiracy nut, known to lie and has a range of personality disorders akin to Donald Trump.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Are we supposed to trust anything this man says? The guy is a conspiracy nut, known to lie and has a range of personality disorders akin to Donald Trump.

The original story seems to have come from a guy writing a biography, and then ran like wildfire because stories about Musk sell clicks.

The biography guy issued a correction saying he got it wrong:

The author of a new biography of Elon Musk has admitted that a controversial detail in an online extract of the book – which suggested that the tech magnate thwarted a Ukrainian drone attack on a Russian naval base in September 2022 – is factually incorrect.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/sep/12/elon-musk-biographer-admits-suggestion-spacex-head-blocked-ukraine-drone-attack-was-wrong

The explanation from Musk seems logical. The US has had sanctions against businesses operating in Crimea since 2014. The Starlink coverage map has always shown Crimea as not having connectivity.

If the Ukrainians had asked Musk to break the sanctions to enable a significant escalation of the war it would be entirely reasonable for Starlink to check with the US government first.

5 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

The second clip, supposedly the radio tower.....mmm, sounds like you can hear small arms fire in the background? We sure it's in Moscow?

Yep, Ostankino Tower looks just like that at night

250px-%D0%9E%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â