Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

If it was blown up, it seems to me to smell a lot like Russian panic at the counteroffensive. They are damaging the water supply (at best) of their own citizens in Crimea, at a time when they have rumblings of internal dissatisfaction. It reeks of panic. If it was blown up. 

They must be s*** scared of this counteroffensive.

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

There can’t be many Russians citizens left in Crimea now surely? 

I would have thought blowing the dam would be far more problematic for Ukraine, and keeping the nuclear plant online than for Russia.

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

I would have thought blowing the dam would be far more problematic for Ukraine, and keeping the nuclear plant online than for Russia.

Aren't Russians running the power plant? But yeah it surely hampers the Ukranians more. That said, they must have realised this was a possibility, they've speculated about it for months. I imagine they will have contingencies.

What Russia didn't realise when blowing it up is that it now opens up more places to cross further up stream, enabling for several more supply lines to be opened.

The devastation this causes along the lower Dnipr is sad, there's nature reserves that will be totally flooded and ruined, right in the middle of hatching/brooding/calving season - on top of the countless villages that will be inundated. Stalin did the same to try to stop Germany in WW2 and it killed a reported 20.000 people.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I think you've been reading a few too many John le Carré novels Tony.

And shame on you for reading the work of a Frenchman 😉

ha .. if I remember it correctly ( would have been some random news story I saw on flipboard ) it was some bloke from the house of Lords who said it , but couldn't tell you who or if its true 

PS ...  wasn't John la Carré  English  ?  

20 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I have no idea if this is true but......

Sources are reporting that the Russian's underestimated the flooding and its actually hit some of their own occupied entrenchments.  

🤣

Might have been part of the Ukrainian counter offensive then? 

Until we get more information I’m still going with misadventure rather than deliberate. 

41 minutes ago, Genie said:

There’s loads of them there at the moment. It’s a popular summer holiday destination. 

Edited by LondonLax

For an idea of what Crimea is like for Russians, see the below video. It's a guy (blinking guy meme guy fact fans) who was originally in the games journalism industry as a video editor visiting Crimea. It's basically viewed as the Russian Riviera by Russians.

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

Out of interest what is his take on all this?  Is he in agreement that Russia was forced into it by The west or that Russia is out of order?

To begin with he was 100 percent fully on board with the Russian doctrine. He watches Russian TV, Zelenski is a clown / USA puppet, America caused this and now Russia will show them who's boss, they are helping liberate Russians in Ukraine etc. Last 6 months or so he's changed as the reality of what's happening is beginning to come to light.

My wife who is Russian / Lithuanian but born and raised in post soviet Lithuania absolutely detests everything Russian. When the war started they didn't speak for 2 months as the arguments got so heated.

To highlight the absurdity, a few days before the invasion we was at a funeral in Lithuania with our Russian side of the family including 6 family members who are Ukrainian and live near Kyiv.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Might have been part of the Ukrainian counter offensive then? 

Until we get more information I’m still going with misadventure rather than deliberate. 

I am not sure if its possible to post  a more ridiculous conclusion.

Vastly increasing the size of a river you need to cross is not helpful.  Nor is it possible to accidentally destroy a dam. 

Russia did it.  They are desperate.   Its a war crime.  Its a crime against humanity.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I am not sure if its possible to post  a more ridiculous conclusion.

Vastly increasing the size of a river you need to cross is not helpful.  Nor is it possible to accidentally destroy a dam. 

Russia did it.  They are desperate.   Its a war crime.  Its a crime against humanity.  

The dam was damaged months ago. They have not been able to control the flow since. It’s quite possible that it finally gave way. 

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

There’s loads of them there at the moment. It’s a popular summer holiday destination. 

Imagine taking your children on holiday to a place which could fairly realistically be bombed at any point. 

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Imagine taking your children on holiday to a place which could fairly realistically be bombed at any point. 

By your own country as a false flag operation

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

It's not though, any interventions there have targeted infrastructure or military installations. Ukraine aren't bombing apartment buildings or theatres.

36 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The dam was damaged months ago. They have not been able to control the flow since. It’s quite possible that it finally gave way. 

All reports say there was an explosions and then the dam breached. You can have an argument about who did it but not that it happened.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

If it was blown up, it seems to me to smell a lot like Russian panic at the counteroffensive. They are damaging the water supply (at best) of their own citizens in Crimea, at a time when they have rumblings of internal dissatisfaction. It reeks of panic. If it was blown up. 

They must be s*** scared of this counteroffensive.

I don't think it was panic. I think it was planned to disrupt Ukraine counter offensive

21 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

What is the evidence for an explosion?

Lots of reports from several reputable media outlets. Plus both sides say there was an explosion and blame each other for it. It's not in doubt. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â