Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

13 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I don't think ignoring my in-laws makes me ignorant, but if that's what you take from it then that's up to you 

I don't think having a little rant makes me ignorant either and we'll leave it there. 👍  

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

I thought this was parody when I first read it 

Throughout the war the MOD has issued some updates which seemed like blatant  propaganda.  This is another one of those.  

I have little doubt that something similar to this incident happened somewhere along the front lines.  But its clearly not reflective of the overall position.  If it was, Ukraine would have been making widespread gains. 

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Throughout the war the MOD has issued some updates which seemed like blatant  propaganda.  This is another one of those.  

I have little doubt that something similar to this incident happened somewhere along the front lines.  But its clearly not reflective of the overall position.  If it was, Ukraine would have been making widespread gains. 

I think they seem to do this when they've got sod all else to report

• Like 3

On 03/03/2023 at 18:21, Mandy Lifeboats said:

This is what happens you are running out of tanks but have some old bits left over from a warship.  🤣

It’s clearly a Russia troop transporter but I am not sure if it’s been captured by Ukraine.  

Is that turret actually on there?  Or is it behind the vehicle and it’s just an optical illusion.  

9B174CC4-2FC6-4D24-BAA0-5113F9409E85.jpeg

This is a thing by the way. It’s the Russians trying to make a gepard aa gun, the front away from the camera has two guns attached.

It’s Russian engineering at its finest, compare it to the German one. The skirt on this thing is 4mm thick, you can penetrate the turret with an AK.

Edited by magnkarl

8 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I’m not so sure. The Wagner bloke has been whining about lack of shells. Now I wonder if in concentrating their resources on Bakhmut, other areas are having to work with meagre resources?  Also it’s one thing to defend a bunker against attackers, is a different thing to advance and make widespread gains.

Im not saying it’s not propaganda, just that it’s less clear to me than it is to you…which is perhaps one of the aspects of effective propaganda.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, blandy said:

I’m not so sure. The Wagner bloke has been whining about lack of shells. Now I wonder if in concentrating their resources on Bakhmut, other areas are having to work with meagre resources?  Also it’s one thing to defend a bunker against attackers, is a different thing to advance and make widespread gains.

Im not saying it’s not propaganda, just that it’s less clear to me than it is to you…which is perhaps one of the aspects of effective propaganda.

I think we are in agreement. 

There is definitely a lack of shells. Ukraine can how hit munition stores quite distance behind the lines.  It's definitely causing problems. 

But the average Russian soldier is armed with more than a rifle and an entrenching tool.

I was referring to that specific statement.  

56 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I think we are in agreement. 

There is definitely a lack of shells. Ukraine can how hit munition stores quite distance behind the lines.  It's definitely causing problems. 

But the average Russian soldier is armed with more than a rifle and an entrenching tool.

I was referring to that specific statement.  

I think it’s also worth remembering that many of the Ukrainian forces are badly under equipped, but that doesn’t get released by MOD.

Most likely you have a load of situations where both sides are sharing limited weapons / ammo between them and some troops are effectively armed only with makeshift weapons. But it kind of cancels out

• Like 2

The now famously several times reconstituted 155th Separate Marine Brigade, a former elite unit, are apparently refusing to fight near Vuhledar

[...] According to the Institute for the Study of War (ISW), the 155th Brigade has been reconstituted as much as seven times since the start of Russia’s full-scale invasion. A once elite unit is now made up almost entirely of poorly equipped conscripts. The ISW adds: “The combat effectiveness of this committed formation is likely negligible.” [...]

[...] 

It has been reported that Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu has instructed his commanders to take Vuhledar at any cost which, for the 155th Brigade, would likely mean yet another incredibly costly offensive, with huge loss if life for little consequence.

The end result is an apparent mutiny in the works. A statement from a Ukrainian military spokesman said: "The leaders of the brigade and senior officers are refusing to proceed with a new senseless attack as demanded by their unskilled commanders - to storm well-defended Ukrainian positions with little protection or preparation".

Military analyst Oleg Zhdanov has reported that two "Cossack" Russian units, known as “Steppe and Tiger”, had also refused to participate on the new offensive on the hilltop town.

According to the ISW: “Russian forces are highly unlikely to be able to conduct any concentrated offensive effort with the current demoralized and degraded forces in the Vuhledar area.”[...]

Kyiv Post

Russia seem to be expecting an amphibious assault in Crimea. An amphibious assault by a country whose current total of navy ships is.... 0

Spectaclar waste of resources. Still at least the soldiers doing it weren't thrown in the meat grinder

• Like 1

Other capital cities did similar some time ago but now Westminster Council have followed their lead.

hrszki1ipxla1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Yes, that is the new name of the road that the Russian Embassy sits on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Other capital cities did similar some time ago but now Westminster Council have followed their lead.

hrszki1ipxla1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Yes, that is the new name of the road that the Russian Embassy sits on.

The UK Embassy in Iran used to be located on  Bobby Sands Avenue.  

We tactfully put the letterbox in another street.  

15 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The UK Embassy in Iran used to be located on  Bobby Sands Avenue.  

We tactfully put the letterbox in another street.  

Actually it isn't their address, the Embassy's address is Kensington Palace Gardens and the renamed Road is a small section of Bayswater Road. Me was wrong

But they have changed the address of the Ghanaian High Commission :D 

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Russia seem to be expecting an amphibious assault in Crimea. An amphibious assault by a country whose current total of navy ships is.... 0

Spectaclar waste of resources. Still at least the soldiers doing it weren't thrown in the meat grinder

I think there will be many instances whereby huge amounts of Russian resources are being wasted on something quite pointless. I wonder if in many instances the waste of resources is done on purpose. "Sorry we cannot come to the frontline, we're too busy doing other essential special operation stuff". Like making sand castles?

Edited by avfc1982am
  • Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â