Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

Im not sure it really matters if it was a result of unfortunately deflected missiles. It wasn’t Ukraine that launched the missiles and sent them close to the border enough for a deflection into Poland.

• Like 1

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think a middle ground (literally) would be NATO attacking Russian troops in Ukraine, and not Russia itself.

It certainly is a possibility for being in the middle. For me, it would be a no-fly zone for Russian kit in Ukraine including Crimea.

Where the hell were they targeting if an interceptor missile would flip them back up and loop over their intended target into Poland. I don't buy it. 

Surely any kind of interception is going to make them fall short of their original intended target. 

Russia shouldn't be targeting ANYTHING remotely near the border anyway. 

Edited by sidcow

8 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Read this if you are worried about nukes.  

During the late 80s and early 90s I was part of the Civil Defence.  At the first hint of war I had a place at the now demolished shelter in Harborne.  It was in Rose Avenue??  Rose Road?? My role was to monitor reports coming in from various places and try to work out what had hit the UK and what it meant in  terms of damage, casualties and forthcoming dangers.  During my time I took part in many exercises simulating a nuclear attack on the UK.  

Contrary to what you see from Hollywood, a nuclear war would nor wipe out humanity.  The UK is a tiny island with a large population.  We would be devastated.  But we'd still have a million or two survivors.  Other countries would fare much better than us.  If Russia launched an attack they would not be able to destroy the military capabilities of all the countries that would now be attacking them.  Especially when they would have been devastated.  

The side that strikes first has a massive disadvantage.  China has always said that they would retaliate regardless of where that nuke was fired.  Then there is the possibility that your attack will fail.  A % of your weapons will fail to launch.  A % of you weapons will fail to detonate.  A % of your weapons will be intercepted.  A % of your weapons will stray wildly off target.  Striking first ensures guarantees that WW3 is you versus a very angry rest of the world team.  

A nuclear strike requires preparation.  You need to prepare the attack and your defences.  All of those preparations are noticeable to you enemy.  Warheads require maintenance.  Missiles need refueling.  Weapons are moved from storage to operational readiness.  This period is very dangerous for you.  The enemy might decide to strike with conventional weapons and destroy your weapons on the ground.  

The UK has a very good intelligence network.  If we thought a nuclear war was likely you would see preparations.  Assets and resources would be spread across the country.  Underground spaces would be kitted out.   Key people would disappear from public view.  Firefighting equipment would come out of storage.  Prisons would be emptied. The public would be asked to limit travel.   And much, much more.  

NOTHING I see happening today suggests we are in danger or that danger is on the horizon.  Absolutely nothing.  

By the way.  If I am wrong and there is a massive nuclear strike on the UK.  I'll buy everyone a 2023/24 Season Ticket.  

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

By the way.  If I am wrong and there is a massive nuclear strike on the UK.  I'll buy everyone a 2023/24 Season Ticket.  

I’m coming out of my bunker in August 2023 to take you up on this offer. Though I might have to start playing for Villa myself if we don’t have enough players.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Maybe but I stayed up till midnight to watch the two tribes video on Channel 4 when it was released

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I’m coming out of my bunker in August 2023 to take you up on this offer. Though I might have to start playing for Villa myself if we don’t have enough players.

Look on the bright side.  By 2042 we are bound to sign a goalkeeper with 3 arms.  

15 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Grrrrr. Man United will have a full team. Cockroaches can survive anything. 

• Haha 2

A proportional Polish response would be to station Polish troops in Ukrainian infrastructure targets. Power stations, gas storage locations. Everywhere Russia is targeting with missiles, then tell him that if a single Nato/Polish soldier is killed, they will invoke article 5. 

There would still be no fighting, and defensive RoE, and meanwhile they would be protecting Ukranian assets with their presence. 

12 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

A proportional Polish response would be to station Polish troops in Ukrainian infrastructure targets. Power stations, gas storage locations. Everywhere Russia is targeting with missiles, then tell him that if a single Nato/Polish soldier is killed, they will invoke article 5. 

There would still be no fighting, and defensive RoE, and meanwhile they would be protecting Ukranian assets with their presence. 

Save the humans. Shoot down anything north of Kherson and anything west of Dnipro. 

It will also protect innocent citizens in Kyiv from being bombed every week. 

Edited by pas5898

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

S-300 system

Could be Ukranian then ... surface to air missile according to Wiki

edit
or perhaps not

On 8 July, the governor of the Mykolaiv Oblast, Vitaly Kim, claimed that Russia has been using S-300 missiles in a land attack role by fitting them with GPS guidance and that some 12 missiles were fired this way.[102] On 30 September, The Wall Street Journal reported that 16 Russian S-300 missiles configured for ground attack struck near Zaporizhzhia, killing at least 30 civilians and wounding 50 others.[6] Debris from S-300 missiles was found after having struck buildings in Kharkiv on 8 October.[5] Analysts from McKenzie Intelligence Services and the Center for Strategic and International Studies said that these missiles were likely from Russian systems repurposed for ground attack due to dwindling stock of more precise dedicated anti-surface missiles.[5]

Edited by fruitvilla

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â