Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I'm bored so I just worked out that it can see 274 miles from that height

Who said Pythagoras's Theorem wasn't useful.

The horizon may be 274 miles away but how far can you actually see with the naked eye?  

The furthest visible star?  A gas cloud?  SHA's league position? 

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

25 million tons of grain desperately needed in Africa and the Middle East is currently stuck in Ukraine, due to Russia’s naval blockade in the Black Sea. The social, political, and security effects of this will ripple out far beyond Europe. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I had to delete one group from my Telegram. It was too horrific to even describe. What started off as something quite informative turned into me watching recordings of War crimes. 

OT but Isn’t telegram like Instagram ? Are your friends sharing these videos with you ? 

Say I'm really old without saying I'm really old.

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

OT but Isn’t telegram like Instagram ? Are your friends sharing these videos with you ? 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

It's basically an Eastern European WhatsApp. I subscribed to a group which I wish I hadn't.

8 minutes ago, limpid said:

Say I'm really old without saying I'm really old.

I meant WhatsApp .. but confused myself … which probably confirms your point :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

**** hell! I just clicked on Sergej Sumlenny’s profile and read his pinned tweet. It’s a tapped call between a Russian soldier and his mother, don’t read it if you don’t want to read horrific descriptions of torture on civilians. 

I know that this happens in wars, and always has (especially where Russia are involved) but there’s something about it happening in 2022 while the world looks on that makes me very sad.

21 hours ago, limpid said:

I'm bored so I just worked out that it can see 274 miles from that height

Who said Pythagoras's Theorem wasn't useful.

For radio line of sight calcs, and from my memory, genuinely, and for feet and miles I use 1.23 * square root of height (or combined height, if both antennas are above the ground). Just done that for 50,000 feet and it gives 275 miles. So, if it helps next time to work it out quicker…

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

**** hell! I just clicked on Sergej Sumlenny’s profile and read his pinned tweet. It’s a tapped call between a Russian soldier and his mother, don’t read it if you don’t want to read horrific descriptions of torture on civilians. 

I know that this happens in wars, and always has (especially where Russia are involved) but there’s something about it happening in 2022 while the world looks on that makes me very sad.

Is that the "roses" stuff?

I can't believe that's real.. "hi mom, we slice the toes, fingers and knobs of baddie soldiers we capture"

"Haha, nice one son"

It just doesn't seem believable.

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Is that the "roses" stuff?

I can't believe that's real.. "hi mom, we slice the toes, fingers and knobs of baddie soldiers we capture"

"Haha, nice one son"

It just doesn't seem believable.

Yeah, that’s it. It does seem ludicrous but I’ve read other accounts of supposedly tapped phone calls with similar themes. It might be propaganda of course, but I also know that those kind of things do happen. Sadly. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

For radio line of sight calcs, and from my memory, genuinely, and for feet and miles I use 1.23 * square root of height (or combined height, if both antennas are above the ground). Just done that for 50,000 feet and it gives 275 miles. So, if it helps next time to work it out quicker…

No one likes a show off. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

If speed was a factor, I'd have found an online calculator :mrgreen: I wanted to see if I could do it from first principles.

Just as I thought Germany had sorted its silly attitudes out, they go and do this:

Berlin bans Russian and Ukrainian flags during WWII commemoration

Authorities in Berlin have banned Russian and Ukrainian flags from being flown near the city’s memorials this weekend as people commemorate the 77th anniversary of the end of the Second World War.

It's mind boggling, they're essentially comparing the UA flag to a Nazi-symbol. I'm sorry but my faith in the decision makers in Germany is waning by the day.

28 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m just worried about all their cardboard tanks if it rains during the parade.

They are a bit more technologically advanced these days

45th_Separate_Engineer-Camouflage_Regime

Aircraft_preparation_-_S-300_SAM_mock_up

Aircraft_preparation_-_Russia_5.jpg

45th_Separate_Engineer-Camouflage_Regime

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â