Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

The US provided intelligence that helped Ukraine sink the Moskva, Russia's flagship Black Sea missile cruiser, several US media report.

Unnamed officials said Ukraine had asked the US about a ship sailing to the south of Odesa. 

The US said it was the Moskva and helped confirm its location. Ukraine then struck it with two missiles.

The Pentagon has not commented. But a spokesman said the US gave intelligence to help Ukraine defend itself.

The unnamed US officials quoted in media reports said they did not know that Ukraine would target the Moskva after helping determine its location

Link

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

40 minutes ago, sidcow said:

More and more places reporting this now.

Do Russian ships not have ANY missile defence systems?

I mean, the first time you could put it down to complacency and over confidence.  But now surely all their ships are on high alert and in a state of readiness for missile strikes?  This is their most modern warship.

Questions questions.

The thing is several NATO countries have worked to specifically avoid Russia's anti-missile systems for years. Norway in particular are especially adept at this with their NSM system which we've bought off them. It's not highly unlikely that NSM has already been sent to Ukraine. It's a tremendous system that skims right on the surface of the ocean and can 'go looking' for enemy vessels with their targeting software at a speed which very few AA systems would be able to counter.

It's Norway's 'ace' to defeat a possible invading North Sea fleet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Poland’s President Duda said there’s no border with Ukraine because they are like brothers, Medvedev and the Russian propaganda machine take this as Poland plans to annexe western Ukraine.

Linky

Medvedev: Poles announce the division of Ukraine. They want to avenge the partitions 

Former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev commented on the words of President Andrzej Duda about the lack of borders between Poland and Ukraine. In his opinion, this proves the partition of Ukraine planned by the Polish authorities. The Russians have been using propaganda for a long time to hit Poland.

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Poland’s President Duda said there’s no border with Ukraine because they are like brothers, Medvedev and the Russian propaganda machine take this as Poland plans to annexe western Ukraine.

Linky

No one sensible is taking statements from Moscow seriously anymore.

It’s all Makarovska anyway. 

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We will know soon enough with Forte11 drone flying over the black sea.

Screenshot_20220506-190425_Chrome.jpg

That isn’t where the ship is. It’s a few miles offshore near the Romanian / Ukraine border, not far from the famous Snake Island

Russia is lacking real time data sharing between its forces.  

I suspect that the Russia ships are reliant upon their own sensors picking up a threat and are working in isolation.   

But why the hell would Russia have any warships in range of the Ukrainians?  Very odd. 

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

That isn’t where the ship is. It’s a few miles offshore near the Romanian / Ukraine border, not far from the famous Snake Island

Does that matter? That airspace would appear to be well within NATO'S control.  At 50,000 ft high a drone should be able to spot a ship, especially one on fire. 

I have seen large ships from civilian airliners at much lower heights. It's amazing to see the triangular wake. It is massive in comparison to the ship itself.  

• Like 1

Wow.  

The Russian Consulate General  in Edinburgh tweeted a condemnation of Putin and the Ukraine Invasion.  The post has now been deleted and the consulate is blaming hackers. 

Rumours abound that a senior member of staff has defected. 

Correction. It was an Instagram post. 

I , Consul General of Russia in Edinburgh, Andrey Yakovlev, categorically condemn the behaviour of the military special operation of the RF Armed Forces against the sovereign, independent state of Ukraine. 

“I fully support any assistance to the Armed Forces of Ukraine from the EU countries.”

36 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Does that matter? That airspace would appear to be well within NATO'S control.  At 50,000 ft high a drone should be able to spot a ship, especially one on fire. 

I have seen large ships from civilian airliners at much lower heights. It's amazing to see the triangular wake. It is massive in comparison to the ship itself.  

I guess it doesn't matter that much but it is about 150 miles south of the ship, I suspect its more keeping an eye on the Russian ships out of Sevastopol at this stage

25 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Wow.  

The Russian Consulate General  in Edinburgh tweeted a condemnation of Putin and the Ukraine Invasion.  The post has now been deleted and the consulate is blaming hackers. 

Rumours abound that a senior member of staff has defected. 

Hats off to him if that’s real, but he’ll need to watch his back from now on. 

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

I guess it doesn't matter that much but it is about 150 miles south of the ship, I suspect its more keeping an eye on the Russian ships out of Sevastopol at this stage

I guess keeping it well within NATO airspace is far more important.  An attack on a NATO drone in NATO airspace is one hell of a risk for Russia.  

4 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I guess keeping it well within NATO airspace is far more important.  An attack on a NATO drone in NATO airspace is one hell of a risk for Russia.  

Its being rather cautious if thats the case, its in Bulgarian airspace, it could be in Romanian airspace and be a few miles from the ship and still be in NATO airspace :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

Telegram is full of normal Russian soldiers and special forces horrifically torturing Ukrainians, both POW and civilians. That includes ISIS style beheadings with heads thrown in cooking pots - to the videographers amusement. 

There needs to be some really serious reality checks in the west about the nature of what is happening in Ukraine. This isn’t just ‘something that happens in war’, it has the stench of genuine evil. 

The risks of confronting Russia are real and we have to be honest about that, but the pigs doing this need to **** die. They are the Nazis our grandfathers fought.

How Russia are dealt with after this is really important. Even if for example they decided tomorrow a full retreat, they can’t just be allowed to scuttle back and pretend it didn’t happen.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â