• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Russian media is 100% controlled by the Kremlin as we know. It’s much closer to an official statement than your example of Tucker Carlson.

Russia isn’t going to nuke the UK because then we’d nuke them. It’s why we have Trident, so nuclear blackmail doesn’t work. Nukes do restrain their owners from directly fighting each other, however - hence no world war since 1945.

Russians gobbing off on TV is nothing more than theatre, and they’d probably die of laughter if they thought regular people in the UK took it seriously. We are not the audience, the Russian people are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'll come back to the other bits but Russia hasn't threatened this. A TV talking head i Russia has threatened this it's like saying Tucker Carlson said something so the US Government have threatened it

btw, The “talking head” as you put it (Dmitry Kiselyov) is known widely as “Putin’ mouthpiece”. 

Dmitry Konstantinovich Kiselyov[a] (Russian: Дмитрий Константинович Киселёв; born April 26, 1954),[1] is a Soviet and Russian television presenter, news executive and propagandist.[2][3][4] He is known as "Putin's mouthpiece."[5] In 2013, Kiselyov was appointed by Russian President Vladimir Putin to head Rossiya Segodnya, a Russian state-controlled media group. He also serves as deputy director of the All-Russia State Television and Radio Broadcasting Company.[6]

wiki

It’s fair to say the threats come from the top, but also that they are also not particularly credible as nuke strikes. Other acts of terrorism are more likely if they want to try and send a message to the West.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60757157

Ukraine war: European leaders risk train ride to meet Zelensky

Ukraine has praised the courage of three European leaders who made a long, hazardous journey by rail from Poland to Kyiv in a show of support as the city came under further Russian attack.

The prime ministers of Poland, Slovenia and the Czech Republic met Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky on Tuesday evening as a curfew began in Kyiv.

Afterwards, the Czech leader told Ukrainians that they were "not alone".

They are the first Western leaders to visit Ukraine since Russia invaded.

As the talks took place on Tuesday evening, loud explosions could be heard from fighting on the western edge of the capital city.

The European Union said the politicians were not carrying any particular mandate, but that leaders in Brussels were aware of the trip, as it was mentioned during an informal EU summit in Versailles, France, last week.

16th March. 

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Here's the President of the EU, the day before Johnson's visit, The Slovak PM was also in attendance as was the Austrian PM

A delegation of leaders of nations and the EU make a visit as a collective show of support from Europe was a good idea. 

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

A delegation of leaders of nations and the EU make a visit as a collective show of support from Europe was a good idea. 

Yes thats 5 PMs and the President of the EU before Johnson that I found in no time at all, your point was that Johnson was the first. He absolutely wasn't. I also seem to remember others before him too

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think they are singling us out as they see us as isolated from Europe

I think they pick on us on a particular day as has already been proved above.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes thats 5 PMs and the President of the EU before Johnson that I found in no time at all, your point was that Johnson was the first. He absolutely wasn't. I also seem to remember others before him too

It wasn’t. 

Edited by Genie

Even the leader of Plaid Cymru visited Ukraine before Johnson - and was criticised by the tories as taking part in a dangerous stunt.

Johnson’s the real dangerous stunt.

My point was he seems (to me at least) to be using the Ukraine war as a way of point scoring, or deflecting away from the shit show he has at home, mostly of his own creation.

The comments section on the BBC website from yesterdays story suggest i’m not alone in that view. 

Top 10 highest rated comments.

Boris Johnson pretending to be a statesman by evoking Churchill ahead of the local elections.

Utterly shameless.

———————

Third rate Churchill tribute act who doesn't know the difference between Tyneside and Teesside. A disgrace to his office, to the country and to humanity. The sooner he goes, the better.

———————

Please do not use the people of Ukraine as a point scoring political statement to boost your own ego!

———————

Johnson seems intent on using the war to justify the continuation of his corrupt and incompetent premiership. It needs to be reminded to him that he's not Winston Churchill, the UK aren't at war and whilst the crisis in Ukraine is horrific it's not going to distract people from the failings of his leadership

———————

Well Boris didn't have his finest hour on GMB this morning. What a car crash of an interview.

———————

How on earth is this man STILL the PM!

———————

oh god, not another "i think i am Churchill" moment form Boris. Out of touch as always.

———————

Zelensky has proven to be the leader that Bojo could only ever dream of being. No wonder Bojo is so jealous and is trying to bask in reflected glory.

———————

Pathetic attempt at deflection from the UK's most Pathetic PM ever. Just go away you clown

———————

Boris could do with sorting out his own country first because the masses are getting angry. This coming winter will be where it all falls apart.

Didn't he use the Churchill quote in the same way Zelensky did when addressing parliament.

And that last one. Are they suggesting we shouldn't help Ukraine until everything is ok at home.

Edited by colhint
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

My point was he seems (to me at least) to be using the Ukraine war as a way of point scoring, or deflecting away from the shit show he has at home, mostly of his own creation.

He probably is.

That doesn't mean that the British position on military and diplomatic support to Ukraine isn't still broadly the correct one.

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Which makes him even more of a word removed.

Not really. I don't think that "politicians shouldn't do the right thing just in case it makes them more popular" is really a coherent position to take.

6 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Not really. I don't think that "politicians shouldn't do the right thing just in case it makes them more popular" is really a coherent position to take.

It hasn’t worked in this case either way hence the comments above. Nobody here in the UK buys it as genuine or sincere.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â