Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

20 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

'Sadly' NATO has been winning the chess for the last 9 years too, it's been over 24 years since a Russian won the tournament.

Sounds like Western Propaganda to me. I'm sure the reality is the mighty Russian Grand Masters have been sweeping all before them.

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

Russian Chess players you say...

Forty-four top Russian chess players published an open letter to the President of the Russian Federation, Vladimir Putin, voicing firm opposition to the war in Ukraine and expressing solidarity with the people of Ukraine. Signees include the most recent world championship challenger, GM Ian Nepomniachtchi; 12th Women's World Champion and Director of ChesscomRU, GM Alexandra Kosteniuk; eight-time Russian champion, GM Peter Svidler; GM Andrey Esipenko; GM Daniil Dubov; and many more.

Absent from the list of signees are the five Russian participants of the ongoing FIDE Grand Prix in Belgrade, though FIDE General Director GM Emil Sutovsky expressed on Twitter that Grand Prix participants were likely unable to sign for technical reasons. GM Alexander Grischuk and reigning Russian Champion GM Nikita Vitiugov, in particular, have previously voiced their clear opposition to the war, Grischuk in a press conference statement following game one and Vitiugov in a statement on Twitter. [...]

The SIgned statement is...

"We are against any military action on the territory of Ukraine and call for an immediate ceasefire and a peaceful decision to the conflict through the path of dialogue and diplomatic negotiations. For us, it is unbearably painful to see the catastrophe that is happening these days with our people.

"We've played for Russia in individual and, which is a special honor, team competitions. We are sure that chess and sports in general should unite people. Our country has done its best to organize the most complex and prestigious international events even on the peak of the pandemic.

"Chess teaches you to be responsible for your actions; each move is meaningful and a mistake can bring you to a fatal point of no return. This used to be a sport, but now the human lives, human rights and freedoms, human dignity, the present and the future of our countries are at stake.

"During these tragic days we are thinking of all the people caught in the midst of this frightful conflict. We share the pain of our Ukrainian colleagues and call for peace."

"The Ukrainian chess team is the reigning European team champion and one of the strongest teams in the world, like ours. We've played tens of matches and hundreds of games. For us, fair competition has always been above politics, and the Ukrainians shared this feeling. We beg you to preserve the chance for mutual respect among the teams, players and people from both countries.

"We support peace. Stop the war."

Chess.com

Well if Putin is true to form, Russia might have some dead chess players soon

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The madmans cronies have threatened the uk with the weapon called "satan 2" can wipe  out france apparently. 

Hopefully its empty threats

Wipe out France you say? Oh no please don't fire the weapon at us that wipes out France (said brer rabbit to the fox)

Edited by Straggler
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

FRboPmQXEAYuax7?format=jpg&name=large

Poland trying to push refugees to smaller towns. Some cities have almost doubled in size, it's mad.

Mental....Hopefully it won't be indefinitely and just for a few months. It isn't lost on many the weight that Poland has once again taken on it's shoulders.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Not talking about turning it off. I do understand it can’t easily be sold elsewhere. But by the same token, I’d presume they have some control over the speed it comes out of the ground.

I mean, it’s Russia so anything is possible, but I’d be a bit disappointed in their ability to think strategically if they can’t alter the flow rate in a pipe. That it would just be on / off.

all else fails , when the inevitable happens they can make lots of tourist attractions ā la  Darvaza gas crater ...

38 minutes ago, bickster said:

Russian Chess players you say...

Chess.com

Well if Putin is true to form, Russia might have some dead chess players soon

Alexandra Kosteniuk you say...

phpoll6tt.jpeg

Wouldn't say no to a bit of Check Mate with her.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Awol said:

Darth Putin has been banging his gums again. Negotiating peace with this psycho right now requires handing over large stretches of Ukraine to be Bucha’d. 

Interestingly, alongside the planned shotgun referendum to justify annexing Kherson from Ukraine, the Ruble is to be introduced as the new currency. 

Well Mr Putin, you're the one creating them you **** buffoon.

Attacks Ukraine and asks, "Why is everyone oppressing me?"

Maybe all the bluster and bravado is getting to me but I really cant shake the feeling the last few days that something truly catastrophic/world changing is approaching. 

Just now, Ingram85 said:

Maybe all the bluster and bravado is getting to me but I really cant shake the feeling the last few days that something truly catastrophic/world changing is approaching. 

Obviously I could be wrong, but I’d be more concerned if we were hearing nothing from Putin / Russia.

He’s bitten off more than he can chew and now he knows it. I think a man like that doesn’t generally issue threats, he acts. 

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

Obviously I could be wrong, but I’d be more concerned if we were hearing nothing from Putin / Russia.

He’s bitten off more than he can chew and now he knows it. I think a man like that doesn’t generally issue threats, he acts. 

The nature of nuclear weapons is you have to convince the world that you will 100% use them. 

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I mean, not telling Putin how to run a campaign, but don’t you reduce supply to the big boys to both give them a gentle warning squeeze, and, stop them stockpiling  there way out of a problem.

Haven't Russia already been doing this to Germany for a while?  I'm sure i read somewhere that German stocks of gas were low because Russia hadn't been sending the full quota for a while (even before the war started).

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Haven't Russia already been doing this to Germany for a while?  I'm sure i read somewhere that German stocks of gas were low because Russia hadn't been sending the full quota for a while (even before the war started).

Yeah, Russia had been planning this for a while. Gas/oil prices were high in the months leading up to the war because Russia has been throttling supply for a while, preventing key countries from building up reserves. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The madmans cronies have threatened the uk with the weapon called "satan 2" can wipe  out france apparently. 

Hopefully its empty threats

Jeesh, threaten us with a good time eh?

TBH it makes no odds what they call it or how big it is, if Russia fires nukes at the US, the UK or France, it will in turn cease to exist. They know this and don’t want to die.

The West has made it clear that any use of tactical nukes in Ukraine will result in a massive conventional response to destroy all Russian forces in Ukraine and the Black Sea region.  

Ignore the rabid dogs on Russian TV. Keep sending more and better equipment to Ukraine so they can free themselves from Russian fascism.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â