Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

I wondered why the good Russian Catholics were ignoring the pope, until I googled it and realised the Russians have their own church that does not recognise the pope. They really are set up for their way or nobody else's way - they are stuck in 1945. clearings in the woods. 

• Like 2

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

15 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I wondered why the good Russian Catholics were ignoring the pope, until I googled it and realised the Russians have their own church that does not recognise the pope. They really are set up for their way or nobody else's way - they are stuck in 1945. clearings in the woods. 

They are orthodox Christians in Russia and much of eastern Europe. For a 1000 years!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jareth said:

To be fair, the Russian Orthodox Church stemmed from Byzantium and the Eastern Roman Empire. Its provenance as a legit Christian tradition carries far more weight than the Church of England, but (as you say) it’s been hijacked by the Russian state for national myth-making propaganda purposes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Yeah that happened in 1054. 

Looks like Mariupol will be orders of magnitude worse than what happened around Kyiv. 

Maybe some balance is required, but I’ll leave that to anyone more inclined to provide it.

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

How many weeks ago was it that Boris said that the west didn’t do enough to stop Putin the past? but still ok with watching this unfold. 

I couldn't believe he had the brass neck to start preaching about people deserving to know the truth. 

On balance he seems to be handling this quite well, but take the wins where you can get them without looking like a right Boris Johnson, eh old chap. 

16 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

TBH, on this exact issue I don't think BoJo is terrible. On all other things he's about as effective as a slug crossing the M25 on a scorching summer's day.

In his minds eye he's picturing Putin as another school age child to be shoulder charged down on his way to glory.

These months are going to go down in History.  There is much scope for modern day politicians to build a lasting legacy

Zelensky has already booked himself a place on the all time legends table.

Macron has mainly come across as a modern Chamberlain.

Putin now after these atrocities.....which are inevitably going to get worse is heading for Hitler kind of infamy.

We're living in extraordinary times.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

I am not sure why people are calling for Putin to be convicted for war crimes?   I doubt he's been stupid enough to put anything in writing telling his army to conduct war crimes. He has overall responsibility but that's not enough.  

My prediction is thus - 

The soldiers guilty of those crimes will soon be conveniently killed in action.  This will prevent them testifying that the chain of command ordered or tolerated their actions. 

If pressured, Russia will investigate the matter and conclude that a group of foreign fighters, local militia and a few Russian soldiers committed the atrocities.  But they are all dead now. 

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Even if Russia were Catholic (which it never has been), do you think the Pope could have stopped the war? Shared religious beliefs go out the window very quickly when territory is at stake.

11 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I am not sure why people are calling for Putin to be convicted for war crimes?   I doubt he's been stupid enough to put anything in writing telling his army to conduct war crimes. He has overall responsibility but that's not enough.  

My prediction is thus - 

The soldiers guilty of those crimes will soon be conveniently killed in action.  This will prevent them testifying that the chain of command ordered or tolerated their actions. 

If pressured, Russia will investigate the matter and conclude that a group of foreign fighters, local militia and a few Russian soldiers committed the atrocities.  But they are all dead now. 

You think he'll get off war crimes on a loophole?

I don't think he's getting done for war crimes, because I don't think he's getting arrested. But if he does somehow get arrested and tried for war crimes, he's 100% guilty. Saying he was on the toilet reading a book while an old lady in Bucha got raped isn't really going to fly as an alibi.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

My prediction is thus - 

I think the scale of this is well beyond that now, it doesn't require testimony of individuals to prove this genocide

• Like 1

I just can’t see how Russia goes forward from this with Putin in charge. 
The only hope they have is if there’s a major regime shift, and even then it’s going to be bleak for a decade or 2.

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

I just can’t see how Russia goes forward from this with Putin in charge. 
The only hope they have is if there’s a major regime shift, and even then it’s going to be bleak for a decade or 2.

I honestly think it's 50/50 whether the next guy is better or worse than Putin. We tend to think these pariah states will start fixing themselves when the dictator dies, but there are plenty of examples to the contrary.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â