Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is this something Poland or another neighbour could help with? 
I could understand why they wouldn’t be keen to help in this way.

I don't see how Poland, who already have a massive influx of refugees could logistically or legally accept POWs from Ukraine

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Put them all in a football stadium somewhere and write ‘Children’ in big letters on one of the stands.

Alternatively, have them dig defensive entrenchments, clear rubble created by their bombs, take care of Russian dead and give them free access to mobile phones to call home to their parents.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Alternatively, have them dig defensive entrenchments, clear rubble created by their bombs, take care of Russian dead and give them free access to mobile phones to call home to their parents.

Mum, mum, hello mum, I am captured, I am now Prisoner of Special Military Operation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Blackmail is the only card they have left. 

I think a huge dose of reality is needed here. We need to ignore unverified little snipets from twitter.

It may take longer than expected - but I still see Russia prevailing in ukraine - sure they they have logistical issues right now - but the bottom line is they massively outgun ukraine. 

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Mum, mum, hello mum, I am captured, I am now Prisoner of Special Military Operation.

Don't underestimate the force a bunch of mothers of dead and captured soldiers will have in Russia. A wake up call from your son saying "I think we're the baddies mom, I'm having to bury my own countrymen because Putin won't pick up his soldiers' should fairly quickly undo 20 years of brainwashing.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think a huge dose of reality is needed here. We need to ignore unverified little snipets from twitter.

It may take longer than expected - but I still see Russia prevailing in ukraine - sure they they have logistical issues right now - but the bottom line is they massively outgun ukraine. 

The US massively outgunned Afghanistan, Iraq, Vietnam, etc

And those countries weren’t getting daily shipments of weapons and up-to-the-minute intel from NATO.

Russia is not prepared for the type of war it has rolled into here. Maybe in parts of Ukraine (south east) but their chances of taking Kyiv without nuking it out of existence are close to zero at this point.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

This has been your stance for a month. First it was "I guess Russia will sort out their issues in a few days", then it was "These problems are just temporary", now it's "they have issues right now".

A month in modern warfare, losing 15.000 soldiers (30-40k with POW's, injured and desertions) and getting pushed back is not 'right now'. It's a cluster"#¤"#¤ of an invasion that has gone tits up. It doesn't simply get 'fixed quickly'.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Before this started they had approx 280,000 ground troops. NATO estimates that 40,000 of those have already been neutralised (KIA, Injured or Captured). Then there's desertions. So without the desertions that's a huge chunk of Russia's front line capability already gone, especially when you take into account the ratio of 3 or 4 to 1 troops required in the supply lines to keep the front line troops supplied

There are also reports that high level Belarusian military have been in contact with Ukraine to say if they are ordered across the border, they will surrender (could easily be propaganda I know)

Putin is already calling in extra troops from all over Russia, which will leave him exposed and weakened in other areas of conflict (like Georgia for example)

I don't see where the massive influx of troops required to "Win" this can possibly come from

Russia’s problems seem to be more quality rather than quantity. Drafting (forcing) in civilians to join the military effort isn’t going go help them with the challenges they have. It’ll probably make it worse.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Does anyone still think you can drive to Kyiv in a tank from Belarus in 4 hours?

These guys do. In fact they believe their horse will get them there in 3 hours.

Happy Meme Day, President Putin - BBC News

• Haha 1

Ukraine might be defending better than expected but their resources are being depleted faster than the west is replacing them. 

Russia’s advance has slowed to a crawl but they have the resources to outlast Ukraine. 

It’s looking likely to be a war of attrition. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hippo said:

But they don't outgun the combined force of NATO, which is why Ukraine will be continually resupllied and supported.

Anyone know what the role of Spetsnaz is in all this and are they fully operational in Ukraine?

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Anyone know what the role of Spetsnaz is in all this and are they fully operational in Ukraine?

They've definitely been active, there are numerous videos of them hiding and being captured

• Like 1

But they don't outgun the combined force of NATO, which is why Ukraine will be continually resupllied and supported.

Others here know better but I think I read in the start that they went in trying to kill Zelensky. Obvoiusly failed.

• Like 1

At least two squads of Spetznas were wiped out on day one of the invasion. One in Kharkiv and one at Hostomel. After that there's very little information about Russian special forces.

The UA special forces are out there kicking ass and taking names though, I presume taking out those ships today was probably one of UA's many capable squads of special forces.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

This has been your stance for a month. First it was "I guess Russia will sort out their issues in a few days", then it was "These problems are just temporary", now it's "they have issues right now".

A month in modern warfare, losing 15.000 soldiers (30-40k with POW's, injured and desertions) and getting pushed back is not 'right now'. It's a cluster"#¤"#¤ of an invasion that has gone tits up. It doesn't simply get 'fixed quickly'.

I don't beleive I have said any of those things you have quoted me as saying.

I just think we are all get too excited about speculation from twitter.

Just now, hippo said:

I don't beleive I have said any of those things you have quoted me as saying.

I just think we are all get too excited about speculation from twitter.

It isn't speculation on twitter though. It's verified satellite intel, videos and pictures.

Your optimism for Russia however is complete speculation.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â