Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

Also that turn around appears to have been around the same time this happened (which also seems to be rather unreported)

China's ambassdor to Ukraine has praised the strength of the Ukrainian people and promised to respect the choices of its sovereign government in a subtle move to balance its pro-Russia complexion.

At a meeting with regional authorities in Lviv on Monday, Fan Xianrong pledged to help Ukraine rebuild after the war. His message was a slight departure from the official line in Beijing, which still maintains general support for Moscow.

"China is a friendly country for the Ukrainian people. As an ambassador, I can responsibly say that China will forever be a good force for Ukraine, both economically and politically," said Fan, who relocated with his diplomatic staff from Kyiv toward the country's western border with Poland.

"We will always respect your state, we will develop relations on the basis of equality and mutual benefit. We will respect the path chosen by Ukrainians because this is the sovereign right of every nation," Fan told Maksym Kozytskyi, a Lviv military official, according to Ukraine's state news service Ukrinform.

"China will never attack Ukraine, we will help, in particular in the economic direction. In one year, our country imports goods from around the world worth more than $3 trillion. We are ready to help you develop. In this situation, which you have now, we will act responsibly. We have seen how great the unity of the Ukrainian people is, and that means its strength," the ambassador said.

Newsweek

Which is just another reason why I find the US's line about China going to help Russia to be a tad bizarre

• Like 1

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

Just now, Awol said:

Civil servants manage access to Ministers, not the  politicians themselves. 

Out of office access is obviously managed by the Conservative Party - for cold hard cash. 

Well yes quite, I automatically assumed no CS was involved in screening these calls

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Which is just another reason why I find the US's line about China going to help Russia to be a tad bizarre

The US has basically told China to get off the fence and it seems to appear the “no limits” pact might have some small print.

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

There’s nothing to gain for China by joining Russia in this invasion. Lots of downsides, no upsides.

Putin is finished, any country would be mental to back such a loser. 

Maybe we haven't got the full picture on a soccer internet forum.

Meanwhile the American defence minister feels China is starting to side with Russia.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Meanwhile the American defence minister feels China is starting to side with Russia.

China started out as no limits pact buddies with Putin, if anything they’re moving away having abstained on the UN vote last week and now making positive noises about Ukraine and snubbing Russia (so far).

America are keeping the pressure on China to do the right thing.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

China started out as no limits pact buddies with Putin, if anything they’re moving away having abstained on the UN vote last week and now making positive noises about Ukraine and snubbing Russia (so far).

America are keeping the pressure on China to do the right thing.

Are they ? 

There seems noises coming out basically keeping there options open.

Where have they "snubbed Russia" ? 

They have refused to condemn the invasion - I'm not see evidence of a snub myself.

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Whose idea was it to get Bono involved?

They wanted Bond, but ran out of ink just as they were finishing the last letter

giphy.gif

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Are they ? 

There seems noises coming out basically keeping there options open.

Where have they "snubbed Russia" ? 

They have refused to condemn the invasion - I'm not see evidence of a snub myself.

Immediately before the invasion they sign a pact, and now a month later they haven’t decided if they want to be on the same team.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Immediately before the invasion they sign a pact, and now a month later they haven’t decided if they want to be on the same team.

I wouldn't count that as a snub myself.

They abstainined in a vote condemning the invasion. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

I wouldn't count that as a snub myself.

They abstainined in a vote condemning the invasion. 

I guess “so far” is key here. They haven’t said or done anything in support despite the pact and history between the 2 countries… yet!

The US are applying pressure, can they stay silent for much longer or will they be pushed to state their position?

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

I guess “so far” is key here. They haven’t said or done anything in support despite the pact and history between the 2 countries… yet!

The US are applying pressure, can they stay silent for much longer or will they be pushed to state their position?

That's just it. We don't know.

I don't think it's a given that China won't offer support to Russia. If the decision was a clear cut as some are suggesting they would have shown their hand by now.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Whose idea was it to get Bono involved?

He's sick and tired of his band being accused of flying over Ukraine all week. 

• Like 1

Here is that Bono Poem in full:

Oh, Saint Patrick he drove out the snakes
With his prayers but that’s not all it takes
For the snake symbolizes
An evil that rises
And hides in your heart
As it breaks
And the evil has risen, my friends
From the darkness that lives in some men
But in sorrow and fear
That’s when saints can appear
To drive out those old snakes once again
And they struggle for us to be free
From the psycho in this human family
Ireland’s sorrow and pain
Is now the Ukraine
And Saint Patrick’s name now Zelensky

https://pitchfork.com/news/watch-nancy-pelosi-read-u2-bono-poem-about-ukraine-at-st-patricks-day-luncheon/

War is hell.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â