Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s not just the cars but the trucks. Trucks spew out way more pollutants than modern compact cars but we have no way to replace them with ‘green’ technology. 

There is actually some really promising truck systems running on hydrogen. The truck will produce water as a waste product. Asia has some car companies working on it.

• Replies 19.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s not just the cars but the trucks. Trucks spew out way more pollutants than modern compact cars but we have no way to replace them with ‘green’ technology. 

Some people 👀 are getting through 2,000 litres of heating oil a month over winter to heat their home. That’s over half a tonne of CO2 a month, the same as driving nearly 4,000 miles.

Edited by Genie

Just now, LondonLax said:

There are LOADS of electric trucks and loads more about to hit the market.

In fact it's almost easier to get adopters because such a big cost of running a fleet of trucks is the diesel cost, the electric option saves them an absolute fortune.  With what's gone on you are likely to see higher demand for electric trucks than before.

The really really big HGV's might take a little more time but battery efficiency is constantly increasing, they'll hit the roads in the next couple of years and will probably take of really quickly.

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Electric cars will be cheaper than petrol cars once the manufacturers really ramp up production and start actually selling smaller cars.  Give it a couple of years.

Octopus Energy reckon their heat pumps out later this year will be price proximate with a new gas boiler.  Again as that industry ramps up they will be almost certainly cheaper than Gas Boilers.

What needs to happen is these things need to accelerate with more Government intervention rather than let the market dictate the pace.

I can’t afford a second hand electric car let alone a new one. We would have maximum £2000 to get a car and that would be with a lot of saving and with the way the cost of living is going I’m not sure we could afford that sort of budget if I’m honest. 

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I can’t afford a second hand electric car let alone a new one. We would have maximum £2000 to get a car and that would be with a lot of saving and with the way the cost of living is going I’m not sure we could afford that sort of budget if I’m honest. 

Well that's a different argument if you just can't afford a new car full stop.

At some point petrol cars won't exist to even consider buying one.  It's some point between now and then that they'll become cheaper new and second hand anyway.   The trick is to bring that point forwards in time.

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well that's a different argument if you just can't afford a new car full stop.

At some point petrol cars won't exist to even consider buying one.  It's some point between now and then that they'll become cheaper new and second hand anyway.   The trick is to bring that point forwards in time.

But I could afford a second hand car that’s cheaper than that, it won’t be great but it would be a car still. But not an electric one and I can’t envisage a near future where I could afford one. If they suddenly become £2k or less than great. 

I agree, making them realistically affordable to those with normal everyday incomes (£20k or less) is the real challenge. I don’t see how it happens tbh. 

Edited by Ingram85

Actually I am wrong, big electric HGV's are already here if you look at the Volvo FM Electric and the Mercedes eActros.

The way diesel has absolutely rocketed these are going to make even more sense now.  Putin has really done his best to shoot himself in the foot.  Fleets aren't going to switch back when diesel gets cheaper again (if it ever does)

Nobody want's your dirty expensive oil here Mr Putin.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

You can see what Trump and his mates are going to say though.  Indeed Zelensky  has pretty much said it today - Biden is supposed to be leader of the free world.

And it takes a lot of courage and wisdom to resist the urge to grandstand and play up to that image for cheap clout.

Trump will say that, but I hope people won’t forget that he was the guy who tried to screw Zelensky for some cheap electoral kompromat.

Ultimately the WWII appeasement analogies don’t work, because unlike Hitler,  Putin has largely failed in his plan - which suggests Biden has got the balance about right so far. A more aggressive US President may well have dragged us into direct conflict with a nuclear power, and Ukraine would still have been a humanitarian disaster zone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Get yourself a tractor. Runs on red diesel and you can achieve pay back in 5 months by setting up a military hardware shop on eBay.

The Ukrainian farmers association won’t deliver wheat this year, only t-72’s, BUK’s and BM-21 Grads.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jareth said:

Yeah, we've put ourselves on the list - doubt we'll actually be used, looks like lots of people want to help and the notorious slowness of UK gov to process people will probably mean most are headed home due to the end of the war, before they're actually offered a place to live here. TBF most will want to stay in Europe anyway closer to home.

Very good of you. Whats the vetting process? From both your side and the refugee? 

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

See, small cars aren't an issue. There is plenty of small electrics to choose from. 2nd hand market is also growing.

I have a young family, and we frequently travel longer distances. I need an estate that's got a long range. And that isn't possible unless I splash £30k. Might settle for a 2nd hand plug in in the next year, depending on the economy, but that's still 5/6k more than an equivalent petrol. 

I'd be very sceptical of buying a used electric car - reports of humungous repair bills if the battery pack fails out of warranty (c£20k upwards) 

Best to lease and have the warranty. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The full translation

Nothing new here. Putin’s done this for years. He’s killed people in England, Germany, Poland +++. The west needed this war to react.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â