• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

22 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Agreed. The threat is almost as powerful as the weapon, which I suppose is the point. Man if I could go back in time and meet Oppenheimer I would smack that motherf***er in the face. 

I read, and this is not my opinion either way, that without nukes we likely would have had war after war after war like medieval times without nuclear threat.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

Just now, a m ole said:

I read, and this is not my opinion either way, that without nukes we likely would have had war after war after warily medieval times without nuclear threat.

I mean, yeah, I sort of agree with this actually, and begrudgingly I would probably have to admit that they have kept a sort of uneasy peace. But they just demonstrate the horrific evil mankind is capable of. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

As soon as someone writes "independent research", you just know don't you

Don't most people retain a team to collate information after they leave full-time education?

• Haha 1

When I was in the Royal Artillery for a short stint in the mid 70s we got yelled at all day long for letting our tanks and belted vehicles run for long/drive over long distances. I wonder if modern Russian tanks are as susceptible to belt breaks as ours were, considering that it seems that the convoy has tanks driving on their own for 60miles+. Ours would break down after 10 miles, easy.

They also used an insane amount of fuel, literally hundreds of litres per 10 miles.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

Wow, I just assumed he’d be dead by now.

Some sources say he died at the age of 80 but wiki was edited not long ago and it doesn't mention his death :D

Edited by trekka
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

As soon as someone writes "independent research", you just know don't you

Case in point. lol

Generic, Predictable, Inevitable. and literally proves the point of my reasoning for not bothering.

You lot have a good time in your echo chamber, I'm sure it's alot more straightforward there.

I'm off to tighten my tin foil hat and watch some Alex Jones or something. As you can imagine. 👍

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Case in point. lol

Generic, Predictable, Inevitable. and literally proves the point of my reasoning for not bothering.

You lot have a good time in your echo chamber, I'm sure it's alot more straightforward there.

I'm off to tighten my tin foil hat and watch some Alex Jones or something. As you can imagine. 👍

What utter rubbish, in the same line you accused the rest of us of getting our news from the Daily Mail

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

I can't believe I'm posting this, call me a mental health professional now please

yellow2.jpg

Is it weird that all I can think about is how long it would take someone to colour in all those blocks in the background with a felt pen?

• Haha 1

I have an ending, but it's a bit far fetched.

Picture the scene from the Wire where Marlo Stansfield bumps off Proposition Joe - only it's Abramovich in the Kremlin standing over Putin saying "I wasn't born to play the son Vlad".

Meanwhile, he bumps in half a billion pounds of his Chelsea sale money to Ukraine to help sweeten a peace between him and Zelenskyy, bangs in a couple of billion of Putin's hidden dough for reparation, withdraws the troops, greases some palms in the West, tells them they can trust good old Roman the banker, keeps hold of Crimea as a sort of victory for the Russian people and asks Ukraine to remain independent in exchange for the opening up of Russian markets to Western companies as a conduit to the Chinese.

"The Chinese? They cool with it, Vlad you be up to mischief in no time, close your eyes, it won't hurt none. There. Relax. Breathe easy."

1 minute ago, bickster said:

What utter rubbish, in the same line you accused the rest of us of getting our news from the Daily Mail

Again, it's funny how nuance only exists, when it's convenient. Anyone with half a brain cell, should be able to see that I was just bandying a name about off the top of my head as an example, insert with any other publication you see fit.

" Accused us of getting our news from the Daily Mail " please come off it, you know damn well what the point I was trying to get at was.

Again, i'm going to try to stay off the thread.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

FB_IMG_1646402520290.jpg

Funny obviously, and made me laugh, but FWIW one of my mates has a PhD in international relations, focused on nuclear weapons policy… and he is as in the dark on this as the rest of us (didn’t expect Putin to invade) and enjoys chatting through everything with people like me who have no particular expertise.

The point about living in a democracy is that we should have an engaged population who pay attention to geopolitical developments and arrive at opinions.

I guess the key thing is to always be aware of the limits of our expertise, and seek out information from subject experts, but also to not be afraid of having our own views on the more normative stuff where there is no right answer.

VT is a message board after all, every single post here is basically someone mansplaining something, and I love it. (And I know you were just posting a funny meme for our entertainment, and also love it.)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Funny obviously, and made me laugh, but FWIW one of my mates has a PhD in international relations, focused on nuclear weapons policy… and he is as in the dark on this as the rest of us (didn’t expect Putin to invade) and enjoys chatting through everything with people like me who have no particular expertise.

The point about living in a democracy is that we should have an engaged population who pay attention to geopolitical developments and arrive at opinions.

I guess the key thing is to always be aware of the limits of our expertise, and seek out information from subject experts, but also to not be afraid of having our own views on the more normative stuff where there is no right answer.

VT is a message board after all, every single post here is basically someone mansplaining something, and I love it. (And I know you were just posting a funny meme for our entertainment, and also love it.)

I agree, I posted earlier in the thread or funny pics thread (can’t remember which) that last month we were virus experts and now we are foreign relations/military experts.  I’m as bad as most on here, I read, comment, watch as much as I can on different media platforms, analyses and experts, do research and suddenly think I know something but generally don’t and then message boards like these we battle it out with our views.  

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â